Imagine doom3's engine...

DunsbyDunsby Join Date: 2002-08-01 Member: 1042Awaiting Authorization
<div class="IPBDescription">:)</div>Imagine Doom III's engine being used by natural selection. The game would have the best atmospheric since
<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->As your surrondings change, the sound engine which does real-time 5.1 sound mixing, adjusts as well. For example, a larger room will have more reverb than a smaller room, a column will obstruct a sound causing you to only hear the 'bounces' off the various walls around you. Think of when you move into a new house, how the room sounds different when theres not furniture ini t - thats exaactly the kind of  maths were applying in the new Doom III<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> From Pcgamer Magazine.

Aswell as one of the best graphics engine. 1337.

Comments

• WoggyWoggy Join Date: 2002-10-09 Member: 1466Members
    Yes it would. If the team ever got hold of the HL source code, they can gibe HL 1337 graphics too, like what Tenebarea did for Quake 1!
    Look around for it and youll see.
  • VenmochVenmoch Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1093Members
    Bah, the new unreal engine pwns you! IMO its much better, anyway DOOM 3 is a survival horror!!??!!
  • pielemuispielemuis Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 72Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yes it would. If the team ever got hold of the HL source code, they can gibe HL 1337 graphics too, like what Tenebarea did for Quake 1!
    Look around for it and youll see.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah, that sounds like the NS team alright. Maps with low r_speeds, working on software rendering, etc. ...

[EDIT]
    Oops i forgot DoomIII has poor multiplayer support, but hell 4 players is all you need right ?

<!--EDIT|InterFect0r|Oct. 27 2002,07:00-->
  • DunsbyDunsby Join Date: 2002-08-01 Member: 1042Awaiting Authorization
    Yeah but just think of the graphics and atmosphere with the sound and all.
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--QuoteBegin--InterFect0r+Oct. 27 2002,06:57--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (InterFect0r @ Oct. 27 2002,06:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->Oops i forgot DoomIII has poor multiplayer support, but hell 4 players is all you need right ?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, Doom III has poor multiplayer support, but not poor modding support.  All the tools needed will be shipped with the game itself, and they are supposed to be pretty powerful <b>and</b> easy to use.  It wont be too hard to create a descent multiplayer mod for Doom III, despite the fact that the game itself is more leaned toward single-player.
  • BattousaixBattousaix Join Date: 2002-06-25 Member: 822Members
    Bah DoomIII pwnz, and that´s all that we need to say =)
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    The Unreal Warfare engine looks pretty damn sweet, even on normal (medium) detail with my Geforce 2 GTS 32meg.

It's pretty obvious that Epic were aiming to hit the modding community in the faec with some amazing features. There is code in UT2003 for vehicles, the same as that was in Halo (Torque or something like that), and yet there are no vehicles in UT2003 apart from one to demo the code to mod teams. Buying that code would have cost Epic a fortune, a pretty damn selfless gift to modmakers I think. Of course they'll get their money eventually when Mods for it become popular but meh.

--Scythe--
  • NeckNeck Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 82Members
    I was just thinking the same thing.... wouldn't want the team to spend so much more time porting the thing to another engine though.
  • HikeebaHikeeba Join Date: 2002-10-03 Member: 1418Members
    If NS makes it to another engine, I'd rather see it on the latest incarnation of the Unreal engine.  Doom3 may look good, but I get the feeling a serious multiplayer mod, beyond duel centric anyways, is going to be a bit hard to do.
  • VenmochVenmoch Join Date: 2002-08-07 Member: 1093Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Scythe+Oct. 28 2002,03:08--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td><b>Quote</b> (Scythe @ Oct. 28 2002,03:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><!--QuoteEBegin-->The Unreal Warfare engine looks pretty damn sweet, even on normal (medium) detail with my Geforce 2 GTS 32meg.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thats why I like the Unreal Engine! It works on my GeForce 2 MX 400! Woo!
  • GreedoGreedo Bounty Hunter Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 37Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    It's been said before, and I'll say it again.  If NS ever gets ported to another engine, it'll be HL2/TF2.  <i>And yes, they are coming.</i>
  • NecroNecro &lt;insert non-birthday-related title here&gt; Join Date: 2002-08-09 Member: 1118Members
    we would ALL love it on doom3 engine...but i doubt it's gonna happen.
  • PulsePulse To create, to create and escape. Join Date: 2002-08-29 Member: 1248Members, Constellation
    If I had to choose between doom3 and UT2K3 I would definately go with the unreal engine, I get much better framerates in UT with all gfx turned on than Half-Life, and thats saying something.
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    But you get a better framerate in Quake 2 than you do in Half-Life, so why not use it? :P