Heavy Armor Changes For Combat

Beer_GogglesBeer_Goggles Join Date: 2004-04-21 Member: 28067Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">HA Isn't Very Good in Combat</div> Save for angst, heavy armor sucks in combat. While jetpacks can fly away from most threats, a heavy is meat for anyone, especially onos. Run in, eat a heavy, run out. A jetpack does more damage to aliens than a heavy, simply because heavies can be swarmed and webbed a lot easier than a jetpack. And most of the time, only one or two people get a welder, so after a heavy's armor is gone, it's gone. The time sitting around welding a heavy when you're halfway to the hive can give the aliens enough time to route your attack and kill you. Hell, if your whole team had welders, heavy armor would still pale in comparison to jetpacks.

As such, I suggest three changes to heavy armor that won't effect NS maps (as far as I know):

1. Change heavy armor to 1 point instead of 2. As the game currently is in beta 4, it would probably help the marines quite a bit. If/when combat is balanced, this may be a bit too much and may need to be changed against.

2. Change heavy armor to 1 point instead of 2, but require a marine to get Level 3 Armor before he can get heavy armor, giving heavies an extra 20 armor. While it won't do much, it's better then nothing.

3. Probably the most wild idea of the three and the least likely to be implemented, but, after getting the heavy armor upgrade, having a 'Nanobot/Nanite/Nanoprobes/Self-regenerative Armor,' whatever you want to call it, that acts like resupply or alien regeneration for heavy armor only.

4. A last change that I really don't know if it's a good idea or not, is to change welders to make them more powreful.

In combat, jetpacks are far more versatile and deadly then heavy armor. Ask anyone who plays combat frequently, it's the jetpackers who kill the hive, not a heavy, or even a heavy train, they're just defeated too easily.

Comments

• NolSinklerNolSinkler On the Clorf Join Date: 2004-02-15 Member: 26560Members, Constellation
    This should be in the idea and suggestion forums.
  • Beer_GogglesBeer_Goggles Join Date: 2004-04-21 Member: 28067Members, Constellation
    It is... but I'm sure it's going to taken seriously there. This is a valid idea in my eyes, save for number 3, that I think needs to be looked at.
  • XirConXirCon Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25865Members
    While I agreed this was the case before, in the present beta I'd have to say HA is about as good as a JP. When being spawn camped, HA allows you to live long enough to get some kills and stay alive till someone else respawns and it is also helpful against the large influx of lerks constantly gassing.
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Beer Goggles+Apr 27 2004, 06:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Beer Goggles @ Apr 27 2004, 06:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It is... but I'm sure it's going to taken seriously there. This is a valid idea in my eyes, save for number 3, that I think needs to be looked at. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So..uhh.. you use the wrong forum because it'll get more attention here and that makes it a good reason?

What if everybody in S&I had the same opinion you do? Then this forum would become as filled with crud as the S&I one is.