A Wee Little Suggestion

Dr_AwkwardDr_Awkward Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9395Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Another way to shorten combat games</div> Instead of forcing the losing team to sit out the last two minutes of each game, besides a 4 second interval when they're being spawn-killed, you could try reducing the health of the command chair and hive. That way, if one team or the other gets an advantage, they'll be able to end it quickly without it feeling like the other team is being lamed. Because it's all about the "feel" of endgame that's making people dislike the one-by-one spawning. They don't like the waiting. But if they kept spawning two by two or three by three, and felt like they had a small chance of saving themselves, it might be more fun.

So give it a shot. Try putting back wave spawning and lowering the health of the mission targets.

Comments

• Pepe_MuffassaPepe_Muffassa Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12401Members
    I know everyone and their brother has a theory on how to re-do the spawn system, but here is mine anyway:

Everyone starts off with a 2 second spawn time. For each upgrade point spend, add 2 seconds. However, there is no spawn que - when you die, the timer starts.

Also, the upgrade points must be "spent" in order to have a spawn delay inacted. Therfore, you could spend the intire game as a 3 upgrade skulk, if you wanted, and retain a low spawn time of 8 seconds per death. Or, you could get full upgrades with a maximum "down time" of 22 seconds (which is still better than what happens now). You have to balance what is the best/most effective killing level for you - one with a perfect amount of down time for the situation.

Another bonus is that it rewards the team for taking out a big heavy guy (be it onos or Jet packer).

A disadvantage to this is that marines tend to be more "level dependent" in my mind, but a happy medium will usually be around 4-5 levles in.

Also, you could put in a gradual experience for marines too - but the focus would shift to finding a good balance in "spending" upgrade points - so balance wize it wouldn't do a whole lot.

That is just my 2 cents on that issue, hopefully some of these suggestions will be well received.
  • Dr_AwkwardDr_Awkward Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9395Members
    I'm pretty sure you just described more or less the system they were using in the first Combat beta. They tried that, and now they're trying other things. We'll see what they settle on.

I, for one, liked being able to save my points to buy fade or onos, and stay skulk in the meantime, getting faster spawn because my level was lower. I enjoyed that system, but if they come up with something better...
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    2 seconds for ANY upgrade? Blah. I prefer my own idea, where your lifeform and equipment made a much larger difference than your minor upgrades.(~+0.2 secs for minor upgrades, +2.5 secs for each point spent at lifeforms, meaning fade takes 5+2.5, gorge plain 2.5 <==and this is the short version)
  • Red_SquirrelRed_Squirrel Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24414Members
    Whatever they do they need to add a damn timer so you know when you're spawning back in.
  • jamespsxjamespsx Join Date: 2003-10-16 Member: 21708Members
    the spawn system is gud as it is... dont fix what aint broken...
  • BallistoBallisto Join Date: 2003-05-19 Member: 16503Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-jamespsx+Apr 30 2004, 07:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (jamespsx @ Apr 30 2004, 07:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> the spawn system is gud as it is... dont fix what aint broken... <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Whatever floats your boat. If you like to get spawncamped for minutes every game, then it's not broken. But for the rest of us...
  • Seph_KimaraSeph_Kimara Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19359Members
    edited May 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-jamespsx+Apr 30 2004, 12:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (jamespsx @ Apr 30 2004, 12:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> dont fix what aint broken... <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ...Which is why we're trying to come up with ways to fix it. It _IS_ broken, no matter how you slice it. Fun does not constitute waiting ~30 seconds to respawn, only to die in 0.2 seconds and repeat the process continuously.
  • SpazmaticSpazmatic Join Date: 2003-05-10 Member: 16184Members
    As someone has mentioned, point-based systems were used in the early Combat betas. It was also kinda insanely broken (mine forts, waves of xeno, etc).

However, since I love mine forts and waves of xeno, I'm all for it! :-)
  • DrakkenDrakken Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22728Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Ballisto+May 1 2004, 09:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ballisto @ May 1 2004, 09:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-jamespsx+Apr 30 2004, 07:05 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (jamespsx @ Apr 30 2004, 07:05 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> the spawn system is gud as it is... dont fix what aint broken... <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Whatever floats your boat. If you like to get spawncamped for minutes every game, then it's not broken. But for the rest of us... <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Don't suck and be noobs about it, you won't be spawn camped. It's as easy as that.
  • Jared101Jared101 Join Date: 2004-02-22 Member: 26804Members
    if your getting spawncamped....its already over,just wait for cc to die
    now people cant spawn,and just shoot there 4 rounds of nades at the floor,and "give the rines another chance"