Another Router Queston

kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">didnt want to hijack other threds</div> Ok guys here i start

I have a router its a linksys one its wired and good for me. But one thing is that my bro came home from college and he wants to have the internet but the only way he'll get it is using a wireless system. I heard that thier is bad performance with wireless routes plus its a lot of money for me to upgrade and get a new card. I want to know if 1) Can i have my computer directly wired to the wireless router at all and 2) could i be able to have 2 routers set up. and 3) Is there performance dropping if i do go wireless by any chance.

I run on a cable internet. Comcast to be exact. Its connected threw my Ethernet slot on my mobo.

I have the money to upgrade but i dont want performance dropping of my internet and games.

Comments

• That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    I would let him be wireless and keep yourself wired into the router, because he will get 11mbps, and your directly wired into the router [100 mbps with cat-5 ethernet] == more bandwith for you.

Having two routers would be pointless, but redundant [in networking, redundancy is your friend]

wireless is alright but you probably will experience lag if one of you is downloading
    etc.

oh and linksys != good
  • kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
    so should i get a wireless router and have it hooked up to my wired router?
  • Act_ChillAct_Chill Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15816Members
    I got a 54MB router and get 20 pings on a lot of servers. It is a linksys too and have had no problems...My roomate is directly connected. So the same setup you are asking about works for me. 11MB routers are for 56K 54MB routers are for cable and with a router you dont have to pay the extra money for additional ips.
  • ZaphodZaphod Join Date: 2003-12-30 Member: 24882Members
    I have a D-link DI-624 wireless router. It was all of $50 on amazon I think. It's a 54Mb & 108Mb router (course the 108Mb only works if you got a SuperG/xtremeG wireless card).
    It's been a great router so far.
  • SandrockSandrock Join Date: 2002-12-16 Member: 10905Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Keep yourself wired directly to at least one of the routers. You can use both routers, but make sure to go into the settings, and turn off DHCP on one of the routers, otherwise you will have big problems.