Mouse Smoothing

Travis_DaneTravis_Dane Join Date: 2003-04-06 Member: 15249Members
edited August 2004 in Tech Support
Ok so here's the problem, my mouse moves around very jerky. Turning on m_filter indeed fixes the problem, but comes with a new issue. That issue being, it doesn't respond to small movements at all. Meaning you're forced to make big turns with your mouse if you want it to register. Ofcourse i'm not quite settling for such an ugly gameplay handicap.

My FPS is a 100 flawless, not an issue at all. I'm running in OpenGL, tried D3D but it's an absolute disaster. Operating system is Windows XP. This issue has been with me for quite some time now, but hasn't shown it's ugly head this badly untill my last hardware replacement (Graphics card).

Tried a driver switch, although there's not much driver room for me to maneuver in (6800 generation), and it din't help at all. This issue is exclusive to NS, TFC and other HL mods run smooth as silk with mouse smoothing on, and suffer from no movement registery loss. Same goes for all other games located on my drive (Doom3, FarCry, PainKiller), no mouse issue whatsoever.

Hope someone can provide me with a solution as this problem effectively renders me incapable of playing any decent NS.

I have a Logitech MX700.

Comments

• gazOzzgazOzz Work's a ... Join Date: 2003-12-25 Member: 24747Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    There may be that jitter issues with wireless mouses... Try uninstalling the mouse drivers and use XP's built in driver...
  • Travis_DaneTravis_Dane Join Date: 2003-04-06 Member: 15249Members
    That would seem highly unlikely, as my mouse operates just perfectly on all other games. Not to mention all other HL modifications.

But ye i'm using the default windows mouse drivers (Logitech's are well dodgy).
  • gazOzzgazOzz Work's a ... Join Date: 2003-12-25 Member: 24747Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    ok... have you checked this thread in steam forums...

<a href='http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65356' target='_blank'>http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthr...&threadid=65356</a>

If not take a look at it...
  • VertyVerty Join Date: 2003-08-04 Member: 18884Members
    Have you tried maybe...reinstalling ns?
    Since it doesnt happen on other mods maybe it could just be the install.
  • DantemssDantemss Join Date: 2003-12-13 Member: 24305Members
    I remember I heard once that you should alt+tab, ctrl+alt+del, set Steam priority to LOW and mouse process priority to HIGH. I think that's it, but I can't say for sure.
  • the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Verty+Aug 28 2004, 09:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Verty @ Aug 28 2004, 09:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Have you tried maybe...reinstalling ns?
    Since it doesnt happen on other mods maybe it could just be the install. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    from aformentioned steam thread:
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->So far no members of Staff have commented on any of this, those of us suffering with this problem have been flamed for not reading the Sticky threads concerning ATI FPS Drops or Laggy Server Connections.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • SaltzBadSaltzBad Join Date: 2004-02-23 Member: 26833Members
    Step 1 :
    Follow the priority settings recommended in this thread.

Step 2 :
    Go download microsofts Intellipoint drivers (they'll work with most Logitech mice).

Step 3 :
    Make sure you're using it through the USB port and not the PS2 (unless you get really low FPS, in which case it will handle better over the PS2).

Step 4 :
    Check your ingame sensitivity, try to have it not be at the "I can do 6 turns on the spot by moving an inch" level, or anything all too high - that seems to for some queer reason reduce the granularity for me, no matter how small the movements are.

Step 5 :
    For the love of god, no mouse filter please.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=78477' target='_blank'>Odd jitteryness</a>

Allmost certainly that problem. Read the last few posts about how the issue was resolved.
  • KisanKisan Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18564Members
    I have this problem also with all mods (happens in NS the most though). I have reinstalled multiple times (Steam and NS) with no effect.