How To Make Commanding Enjoyable For You

ReignReign Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1652Members
edited November 2002 in NS General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">and the others</div> Commanding is undouptedly one of the most interesting and exasperatingly hard things in NS. One who chooses to become a commander can expect some very tough times.

The following are some tips to make sure you lead correctly and get the job done. Chances are, you might get some good comments ie "You rock (name)!)" or "Nooooo...don't leave us. Without you we are doomed," and the like. Follow the following and you might win.

-READ THE MANUAL. If you haven't read the manual, don't be a commander much less play the game at all. The commander needs to know what every building does and how each works because things happen very fast.
-USE THE VOICECOM. I can't stress this enough. Typing is sluggish except for small chats and when the voicecom is spotty or not working. If you don't have a mic, get one. It's always comforting to the marines to know that they are being listened to and you can show em' that you hear and see what they're saying. Try to act accordingly if resources and stragety provide.
-DON'T GET STRESSED OUT. This is one of the major problems with commanding. Sooner or later, your probably gonna lead a game where things just aren't working out for you. Players will be requesting items, resources will be low and the aliens are plowing away at the front lines. Don't get stressed. If you lose the round just take a break and/or abstain from commanding the next round.
-UPGRADE. Upgrading is a major key to winning. In some games, both teams will reach a stalemate in which neither side seems to make considerable ground. Usually this means long sieges from both sides. If you give your men heavy armor or just upgrade armor fully, a respawned marine has around 100 armor already. This means that you can save money a bit. Weapon upgrades don't hurt either.
-BUILD TO PUSH. When pushing against the enemy (especially in stalemates) build mini-bases with turrets and/or siege turrets. Armories are an ok idea too.
-BIND ITEMS. Go to your controls and be sure to bind the items. Instead of having to manually click to deploy ammo and medpacks, you can just continually hit a button and click the mouse which is a much faster technique. If you have a ton of resources, you may want to do the same with armor and/or weapons.
-HAVE FUN. It's a game. Don't let it get to you.

EDIT: JUMP. Do not change the spacebar jump key. Instead, if you must, put another key in the alternate side. If its too late, reinstall NS if you saved the install file. Jumping is extremely usefull as you can get to marines and hotspots much faster.

Comments

• DeadDead Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7975Members
    Yeah I dont get the jump key thing

my jump is bound to Mouse2 is there some hardcoded thing for the spacebar+jump?

is it *required*(spacebar defaultjump)? if so can you just change it back or edit a file?
  • ReignReign Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1652Members
    Hmm well I changed the jump key. You could try changing it back but I reinstalled cause I had accidently bound my console key to something else (flashlight I think...don't try it).
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    You reinstalled to change a key bind?! O_o

You can't use right mouse button to go to an event because of the use of RMB to give orders. It's a limitation of the coding.
  • flippoflippo Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3022Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->-DON'T GET STRESSED OUT.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Impossible, I say!
  • ekentekent Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7801Members
    I got pretty stressed the first few times I played. But players figure out that they don't get treats unless they follow the rules. It's like training animals, frankly. "You want a health pack wittie doggie?! STICK TOGETHER AND FOLLOW THE WAYPOINTS."
  • DeadDead Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7975Members
    mouse 3 am bound to the popup menu and that works fine

mouse2 to jump and space to use

but the command thing dont work at all

should i rebind it?