Mouse Is Lagging

StueStue Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6017Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Eventhough FPS are high</div> Hi,

since beta5 im noticing that mouse movements arent as precise and instant as they used to be.

What i mean is that the movement is lagging a little behind my mouse input.

Its not the FPS, they are constantly around 50. Also, mouse filter is deactivated.

I would like to know whats causing it. Anything i missed while rewriting my config.cfg after the patch has overwritten my old one?

Comments

• EmanonEmanon Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16254Members, Constellation
    did you enable mouse smoothing?
  • StueStue Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6017Members
    If you mean mouse filter (m_filter) then no.

What client var do you mean?
  • RadagastRadagast Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17776Members, Constellation
    i had the same problem, but my fps stays at 60. The only thing to do is drop your fps to about 40 so that it remains stable and therefore your mouse will not lag anymore.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Lag or stutter?, some people just won't separate between them(*points finger at my mother*).

I haven't noticed an increase in mouse lag, in B5. But here's some general info just incase you changed something else.

m_filter 1 will remove stuttering but increase mouse lag, to remove stuttering caused by the mouse itself try to plug the mouse into a ps/2 socket instead of USB(most USB mice come with this adapter thingy so they can be used for PS/2) and raise the mouse rate to 200 in mouse properties. If it's not mouse related stuttering then it's probably either hardware(e.g. sound card and graphics card sharing IRQ, the PSU not being able to keep the voltage stable at the proper level) or graphics driver related.

Triple buffering will slightly increase lag(by the lenght of one frame). On some graphics cards/driver versions forcing triple buffering, AA, AF or other settings may cause mouse lag for no apparent reason(even if framerates remain the same). If you recently installed some windows applications that are allways on in the background or tinkered with graphics card settings consider it suspect.
  • StueStue Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6017Members
    I tried switching from Direct3D to OpenGL and now the mouse lagging is gone. It feels like pre-beta5.

Though, im sure that i had it running on Direct3D before the patch as well without any problems.

Hope this might help some people.
  • DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ns is supposed to run in OGL - it doesn't suprise me that running in D3D would cause problems.
  • antifreezeantifreeze The guy with the goods&#33; Join Date: 2003-05-12 Member: 16232Members, Constellation
    I get random stutter and lag in ns. Dont know why. Its on my laptop which doesn't have a standard PS/2 port for my microsoft USB 2.0 mouse. Its optical too si it shouldn't stutter or lag.. Help please
  • taboofirestaboofires Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9853Members
    edited September 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-antifreeze+Sep 15 2004, 06:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (antifreeze @ Sep 15 2004, 06:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I get random stutter and lag in ns. Dont know why. Its on my laptop which doesn't have a standard PS/2 port for my microsoft USB 2.0 mouse. Its optical too si it shouldn't stutter or lag.. Help please <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've started getting the same problem in b5. For about a second (and somewhat randomly) the mouse will refuse to turn my viewport, but I can still strafe or walk.

Only happens when I'm fighting, but never during heavy fighting. Just when there are 3-4 players fighting nearby, and I'm getting 30-40 fps.

PS2 is not an option. Optical mouse, no hardware changes since before 2.0.

edit: oh yes, and I'm using OGL, and this is not a mouse smoothing issue. Even if it got smoothed, the gap in input is too long for it to work out correctly.
  • DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    If the mouse is USB, your computer could be turning off power to it - normally this is done to increase battery life, but you can turn it off. To do so, right click on your "My computer" icon and select properties. Under the hardware tab hit the 'device manager' and go to your USB controller. Expand that, and go to the properties of all "USB Root Hubs." Go to the power management tab and untick the box that says "allow this device to be turned off."
  • tojomojotojomojo Join Date: 2004-09-03 Member: 31254Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-taboofires+Sep 16 2004, 07:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (taboofires @ Sep 16 2004, 07:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-antifreeze+Sep 15 2004, 06:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (antifreeze @ Sep 15 2004, 06:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I get random stutter and lag in ns. Dont know why. Its on my laptop which doesn't have a standard PS/2 port for my microsoft USB 2.0 mouse. Its optical too si it shouldn't stutter or lag.. Help please <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've started getting the same problem in b5. For about a second (and somewhat randomly) the mouse will refuse to turn my viewport, but I can still strafe or walk.

Only happens when I'm fighting, but never during heavy fighting. Just when there are 3-4 players fighting nearby, and I'm getting 30-40 fps. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I used to have similar problems, not with NS specifically but with all of half-life (hl,cs,opfor, etc). It was due to a winamp plugin I had installed for keyboard shortcuts (yes it messed up the mouse not the keyboard). You might want to make sure you don't have any DirectInput apps running in the background.
  • antifreezeantifreeze The guy with the goods&#33; Join Date: 2003-05-12 Member: 16232Members, Constellation
    Ok i have changed the setting to the USB hub we will see what that does. For whatever reason though i neglected to mention that my keyboard also freezes at the same time as the mouse. However the graphics of the game contine to run at a sturdy 60fps around me. im running Open GL with Vsync on. The game is running on a 2.6P4 with a mobilty radeon 9600 and 512Mb 3200 DDR ram
  • ImmacolataImmacolata Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2140Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Beta bug reports isn't tech support forum, so I'm going to move it to a more appropriate place.