Natural Selection: Source

EndlessEndless Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22503Members
edited September 2004 in NS General Discussion
I've had a look around with the search feature and in the FAQ for information regarding this but haven't been able to find anything substantial. Is there any possiblity of it happening? If no, why not?

I imagine it would provide natural selection with a much larger player base allowing it to grow and succeed even more. The new physics/graphics would open up some new possibilities although graphics aren't what makes natural-selection such a great game.

I'm worried creating NS2 (if it's on half-life2) from scratch will take too long. By which time it's finished, it'll be suffering from the same problem as NS1; Lack of a playerbase.

Comments

• RaVeRaVe Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17538Members
    edited September 2004
    Answer :
    <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?act=Search&CODE=show&searchid=8ce1b380ced9d1b774412beb20710d97&search_in=posts&result_type=topics&highlite=half-life+2' target='_blank'>http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/in...ite=half-life+2</a>

Or to be more direct....
    <!--QuoteBegin-coil+--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (coil)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It's been asked. Many, many times.

There are no current plans to port NS to any other engine. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yaaarrr I feel like a dirty pirate!
    *draws rusty butter knife and plays some NS*
  • EndlessEndless Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22503Members
    What is the possiblity of getting a Developer/Playtester to comment on why they aren't jumping at the possiblity of NS: Source?

I'm probably sounding abit pushy and such but I don't want to see such a great game just fade away due to lack on interest/playerbase in half-life1 and then never return..
  • JimBowenJimBowen Join Date: 2003-05-30 Member: 16873Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Endless+Sep 17 2004, 07:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Endless @ Sep 17 2004, 07:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What is the possiblity of getting a Developer/Playtester to comment on why they aren't jumping at the possiblity of NS: Source?
    <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because flayara is making his own game.
  • RecoupRecoup Join Date: 2004-04-25 Member: 28195Members
    While I myself do also agree to the move from HL engine to the Source engine, due to its sheer fan base, it's in Flayra's lap, and frankly no support or help comes quite as readily as the Half Life series support. I always manage to recruit players for NS around my school, neighborhood, or whatever, via friends. I'll ask them if they have steam, they say yes, I say get Natural Selection, and you got another player. I've put at least 5 more people into NS as of late, and I think it could be more successful with Source since a lot of people will buy it just BECAUSE its "Half Life 2". In the end, it would look beautiful and would be popular, so, I recommend the change.

But, its undecided...
  • Marik_SteeleMarik_Steele To rule in hell... Join Date: 2002-11-20 Member: 9466Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Endless+Sep 17 2004, 07:04 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Endless @ Sep 17 2004, 07:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What is the possiblity of getting a Developer/Playtester to comment on why they aren't jumping at the possiblity of NS: Source?
    [...] <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href='http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35' target='_blank'>Flayra already has spoken about it.</a> As for "why they aren't jumping at the possibility," I'm not "in the know" enough to give an answer.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    First of all, a move to Source comes with one notable disadvantage; a loss of players. Do you know why Half-Life mods are still so extremely popular? Well, one very big factor is the fact that the game is 6 years old and almost everyone can play it very well on their computer. Moving to a brand new engine will alienate a lot of HL players. There has to be a large enough advantage to the Source engine(Besides just "OMG it's Half-Life 2!!1") to justify that.

Ultimately, though, it probably depends entirely on how difficult it is to port something to Source. Flayra expressed interest at one point in porting it to Source depending on how simple Valve made the process(this was around the time they announced that most of their supported games are being carried over to Source). If it takes a lot of effort, Flayra won't do it(or at least will delegate the coding to the other devs) because he wants to work on his next project with UWE.
  • EndlessEndless Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22503Members
    edited September 2004
    Zek: The player base of half-life2 will greatly greatly greatly outway the losses of losing a few people because they haven't got fast enough computers to play NS:Source. Trust me on that.

More people playing half-life2 = More people trying NS:Source. This would also come down to how advertised it is and how well it catches on. But it would still give NS a much greater chance at real success [Who said it being at CPL along side CS was impossible?] than it has currently.

--

If they can port NS to NS:Source without having to go to too much trouble, that'd be excellent. Let's hope.
  • KaMiKaZe1KaMiKaZe1 Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9196Members
    <[FFT]KaMiKaZe> so MaXX, an NS conversion to source...
    <[F2C]MaDMaXX> yes, we're hoping to do that...we're looking to port ns to source
  • ZunniZunni The best thing to happen to I&amp;S in a long while Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 10016Members
    To be very clear, Flayra is still very much decidiing what engine (if any) that NS will be ported to. His next project may be a brand new game, and not be related to NS at all.

At this point there is still much discussion and debate occuring about exactly what direction we are heading in next. So Maxx may be slightly pre-mature stating the Source engine is our final destination.
  • Nemesis_ZeroNemesis_Zero Old European Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 75Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    There's a FAQ entry on this, so... <span style='color:red'>***Locked.***</span>
This discussion has been closed.