New Weapon For Early Game Marines

charles_darwincharles_darwin Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7428Members
edited November 2002 in NS General Discussion
As marines in patch 1.01 lets face it guys we got the short end of the stick. With a fresh flow of n00b commanders its getting even harder and harder to get an organized party to destroy hives. As it is the aliens get Fades pretty quickly. And they strafe back in forth between base doors slowly killing marines and turrets. As marines we dont really have a weapon that can counter these Fades early on or annoying alien turrets that seem to withstand 4 LMG clips. <span style='color:red'>***Please do not try to get around the swear filter***</span>. The LMG is just too weak to destroy a fade that quickly moves back and forth and with regeneration he can hold off an entire marine team at the spawn until his onos get back here. I propose we add in some new marine counter measure that could give us a little more firepower available on hand since we all no n00b commanders are gonna discover HMGs and armor a little too late in the game. It wouldnt be too back breaking just something to even it up a little. Oh yeah im not saying that all commanders are n00b, far from it, its just that the current conditions definately leave us on one foot. If not a new weapon. ANyone got strats to help marines win?

Comments

• JackBoCrackenJackBoCracken Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7928Members
    Reduce the cost of shotguns by a tiny bit, like 2 or 3 RPs.
  • charles_darwincharles_darwin Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7428Members
    Yeah but shotguns and light armor arent great enough to counteract a fade before it bile bombs you to death. Hey! How about a flechette rifle?
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    The answer isn't to change the game, but rather to change the players. The whole point is that marines need to work together with a decent commander or they lose.
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->With a fresh flow of n00b commanders its getting even harder and harder to get an organized party<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the commander is a total idiot, either request a new commander or take charge of the movement of a group yourself while the commander takes care of building.
  • charles_darwincharles_darwin Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7428Members
    edited November 2002
    <!--QuoteBegin--Ahnteis+Nov 10 2002, 06:13 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ahnteis @ Nov 10 2002, 06:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The answer isn't to change the game, but rather to change the players.  The whole point is that marines need to work together with a decent commander or they lose.
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->With a fresh flow of n00b commanders its getting even harder and harder to get an organized party<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the commander is a total idiot, either request a new commander or take charge of the movement of a group yourself while the commander takes care of building.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah. but eventually you are going to need a commander's eyes to help u out. Its like trying to play without a commander. We need its logistical support. Ive tried leading parties myself with good success initially but the n00b commander wasnt paying attention to our cries to build stuff here or send supplies. Lol infact people often call me Patton Jr. on the ground or CommanderII.
  • TempestTempest Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8083Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yeah but shotguns and light armor arent great enough to counteract a fade before it bile bombs you to death. Hey! How about a flechette rifle? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Errr if they can bile bomb then they have 3 hives and onos too... If you let it go that far well then you deserve to lose. =p I will agree on some maps it's hard to defend as marines, but in a lot of cases I see poor teamplay by marines. First off, you need a good commander, who knows what to build and keeps you allive. Once the game starts you need to hold off the possible (and likely) initial rush, and then try to expand fast enough. I play aliens almost all the time (tho I did some comm as marines) and I can often go build resource towers as gorge and just leave them undefended knowing marines wont be coming out of their base for a long time anyway. That's a huge advantage since we dont even have to bother defending them. (which costs more resources to build defense, coz a gorge cant defend a node, he needs buildings whereas a marine doesnt need turrets to hold a node) When I see marines rush out and take out our undefended nodes it's usually looking pretty bad for us. If you rush out and force us to set up defenses at a node before moving out then we wont be getting resources fast enough.

Also try to secure a hive fairly early. Almost all hives have a resource node nearby so then you can defend the hive and node at same time. It's hard to prevent aliens from getting 2 hives, but if they get 3 they pretty much win the game.

Anyway, that's my experience from mainly alien point of view, I never see marines as gorge, so I just run around and go build happy claiming all resources without being disturbed. (Only one game I saw marines push forward and take out one of my nodes and build their own base there, while also taking a hive, and we lost that one)
  • n00b101n00b101 Join Date: 2002-10-29 Member: 1706Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Reduce the cost of shotguns by a tiny bit, like 2 or 3 RPs. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah I think 18 would be good.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Yeah but shotguns and light armor arent great enough to counteract a fade before it bile bombs you to death.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm those things are HHH rated ( 3 hives ), I think you're talking about Acid Rocket ( or a similar name ) here.

<!--QuoteBegin--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The whole point is that marines need to work together with a decent commander or they lose. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup I agree 101% on that one. If the commander doesnt know what to do, help him instead of yelling at him !
  • True_BelieverTrue_Believer Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8074Members
    I dont see any need for a change. ive been in several situations where the marines overran the aliens quickly due to good teamwork. we got our **obscenity** in gear and reamed them. i feel you with the newbie commander thing though. we were doing awesome until the commander got d/ced and some newbie walked in. from then it went all downhill because he didnt know anything. we ejected him and eventually our old commander came back but the damage we took with the newbie was irrepairable and we lost. its sad but it happens and all we can do is put up with it
  • Rico1Rico1 NS Oldtimer Join Date: 2002-05-24 Member: 664Members
    This thread belongs in the suggestions forum.

But anyways, i dont think its the game that needs a change, in fact, i have yet to lose a single game where im commanding (and yes, even after 1.01, i command a lot) and yes, fades do pose a far larger threat now, but they do deserve it, its like saying marines with GL and HA should be useless against enemy buildings.

The thing you need to learn is teamwork and following orders. If you dont think the commander is doing a good job theres an option to kick him out so someone else can take over.