Green Text With Other Gfx Issues

SladeSlade Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33120Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Please help!!</div> <b><u>issue...</u></b>
I have green text in the scoreboard (my name is white, dead players are red, people in the ready room and team titles are dark and unreadable, everyone else is green). Mouse cursors are very dark, almost black for both marine and alien. Commander buttons [and commander hud gfx] are very dark, unreadable. Commander text seems to be fine. Action menu gfx seems fine but the action menu text is dark; unreadable until I rollover them and they become white. All other hud gfx and 3d gfx seem fine.

<b><u>issue began when...</u></b>
Ok, I recently upgraded my machine. New CPU, motherboard, ram and switched from win2k to win2003. Video card is the same. here are my specs:

p4 3ghz
Asus p5p800 motherboard
512mb generic ddr ram
Geforce fx 5200 128mb

<b><u>what i tried to do to fix and didnt work...</u></b>
I have reinstalled video drivers a few times and even tried the newest beta drivers, I have reinstalled steam, halflife, and NS, with no change in symptoms. I tried changing text color values in the various res files, no changes at all. I renamed the .res files hoping it would revert to default values, no changes.

I went into CS to see if that was affected, it was not. Only once when i played a custom map, the scoreboard was back to normal but when server went to a new map, green text (i couldnt find a res file for that map in my map dir).

Please help me with this, I love this game and Im trying to learn how to command and Its almost impossible with this issue. I have tried everything i can think of and nothing seems to work. ANY info you can provide, id like to hear it.

Comments

• NS_ApostleNS_Apostle Join Date: 2003-12-12 Member: 24269Members
    Hmm, Are you using Duel Monitors? Whats your color depth on (in game and out of game), and also, make sure your using OpenGL in game, and not D3D
  • MalevolentMalevolent Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18842Members
    Sounds like you tried everything I could think of. I heard someone say they had this problem before, but it was quite awhile ago, and I can't remember what they did. You say you're running Windows 2003? Try a different OS to see if that could be it. Check your actual video card settings too. See if it is set to certain things that could conflict with in-game settings.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    In the past this was always a duel monitor prob or if you were playin in dx.
  • EniacEniac Join Date: 2003-04-13 Member: 15459Members
    edited January 2005
    I had that problem before, and I can say that it is completely related to win2003 in your case. It might also be a dual monitor problem but in the past I had win2003 and I tried everything, and found these;

it is green because of the gamma ramp of the map, for example
    -create a new game and enter(in other words your machine is the host)
    -open the console and write these line by line
    sv_cheats 1
    setgamma 1

(i hope setgamma command is still working, it wasworking in the previous betas ??)

Then you will see that everything goes back to its normal color. I have posted this into the bug report forum but I believe they were unable to reproduce it or find the source of the bug.

change the gamma ramp to another value then you will loose the colors and brightness again.

you cannot apply this idea in a normal game server since sv_cheats will not be on, and you probably won't have access to rcon the server. However while I was playing with win2003, I created a program, which was changing the value of the gamma ramp value in the HL image in the memory, so that when I get into a game, I would run this program and it restores gamma value to 1 and I was able to play it. Then a new beta came and I was too lazy to rewrite the program (i had to find the memory location of that value and so and so...) by the way, that memory location was static and the value was changing only in map changes.

You had the good colors in a custom map because that map's gamma value is not set or set to 1, because that is a custom map, the author of the map didn't want to put that value. (yes gamma ramp values are taken from the map file)

you can either change your OS, which will definitely solve your problem
    or you can find a memory searcher and replacer program (like some game cheaters) and find that value in the memory and lock it to value 1 so that it wont be changed again in the game and you can play it with the good colors. (how you do it is another topic)<u>(I have to warn you, this might be seemed as cheating, and if you are using cheating death of smt else it may not work, or if the server would be a secure one -ns does not have secure servers, yet- you may even be banned, do whatever you do at your own risk)</u>

another symptom is that you probably have "Display does not support downloadable gam" text when a map loads or game starts.

now I have winXP, with the same config, everthing is back to normal
  • SladeSlade Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33120Members
    edited January 2005
    THANK YOU !!! you are mostly right. when i host my own game, symptoms comletely gone!! setgamma and sv_cheats seem to have no effect at all, but when i host my own server, everything is perfect !! I will try setgamma on a server that allows it or try a cheat program to change that value ( shhh ). I most likely will install XP eventually but, thanks a lot!! just for giving me some understanding of the problem.

ALSO... you were right about the "Display doesnt support downloadable game" message"
  • HadakaHadaka Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25826Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-Eniac+Jan 7 2005, 05:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Eniac @ Jan 7 2005, 05:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I have posted this into the bug report forum but I believe they were unable to reproduce it or find the source of the bug.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I complained about this about a year ago - exact same symptoms, exact same everything (Windows 2003 as the cause).

I wonder if the bug report could be woken up again for another look? This problem prevents me entirely from commanding, since the interface is too dark for that, and hinders other gameplay as well.
  • midspacemidspace Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33605Members, Constellation
    I must ask.

Does this problem occur with other HalfLife Mod's running under Window 2003?

And have you uprgaded DirectX from it's standard 8.1 install?
  • SajieSajie Join Date: 2003-04-13 Member: 15450Members
    I have just installed NS 3.2 on my Windows Vista and still got the exact same problem as described. Running my own server having sv_cheats 1 and setgamma 1 works perfectly.
    A 3 year old bug occurs yet again. Does anyone know any other solution to this or will I have to go backwards installing Windows XP just to play the game?
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    You pull up a THREE YEAR OLD THREAD!

but don't look at the pinned topics?

Well, at least you TRIED to look for an answer...

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=100633" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....howtopic=100633</a>
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->== 2. Natural Selection, and 64-Bit Operating Systems. ==
    Also known as:
    "Your display does not support downloadable gamma"
    Black sprites on the HUD
    Green scoreboard text

Causes:
    1. The Half-Life Gamma Ramp isn't compatible with your display drivers.

Fixes:
    1. The Half-Life Gamma Ramp isn't compatible with your display drivers.
    This problem is caused by the Gamma Ramp method being incompatible with the 64-bit display drivers. They handle gamma in a way which wasn't around when Half-Life was made, way back when. What you will need to do is twofold.
    First of all, open up the command console (default key: ` or ~), and type the following:
    CODE
    cl_gammaramp 0

That will disable the gamma ramp, leaving you to set it yourself. Obviously, this will lower the gamma dramatically. Then, what you need to do is to find the display options (under Options -> Video), and adjust the gamma upwards (Gamma slider is at the bottom right of the video options page). Then click Ok, which will then restart NS. Connect to your usual servers, and play away, with the proper display methods being used<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->