Early Game Vs. Late Game Strength?

2»

Comments

• wraith_hunterwraith_hunter Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43343Members
    indeed, many times when I am comm, only a few ppl listens to me, even when I am in my clan games, only one or two ppl actually follow my orders and stick together. The biggest problem I tihnk is the coordination and teamwork. also another problem usually in pubs is the marines go crazy when we manage to secure two hives and it actually made us lsoe as the aliens managed to coounter while the marines are flying around parading like we won alrdy, its really sad actually.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-wraith hunter+May 24 2005, 08:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (wraith hunter @ May 24 2005, 08:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> indeed, many times when I am comm, only a few ppl listens to me, even when I am in my clan games, only one or two ppl actually follow my orders and stick together. The biggest problem I tihnk is the coordination and teamwork. also another problem usually in pubs is the marines go crazy when we manage to secure two hives and it actually made us lsoe as the aliens managed to coounter while the marines are flying around parading like we won alrdy, its really sad actually. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol, QFT^^^

seems like that the last hive takes forever to finally take down because by the time you get 2 hives locked down all your RTs are probably dead and need re-capped, giving the aliens at least 10min before marines take their last hive.

It'd be nice if the marines were like bots and did EXACTLY what you told them when you told them. I guess its just not really viable in pub games put i've watched a few demos of clan games and it seems like a much better experience since everybody works together. Ex)

CLAN: Marines are sieging a subspace on veil. PG up, everybody comes in, TF up... sieges set down. One person is designated to build while the rest are a little up ahead of him waiting for the onslaught of aliens that are about to come. They cover the builder and that small area until the sieges are up and comm can start to slowly siege down hive. Aliens have a few succesful pushes but marines phase back in quickly and resume their role of guarding the TF and sieges till the hive is down. Comm is medding frequently and checks back at base consistently to make sure a skulk isn't trying to take down structures for a distraction. Nobody is ramboing across the map they are mostly where they should be. Hive goes down and marines move in and successfully lock down hive.

PUB: A lone ninja gets a PG up, Comm beacons everybody telling everybody to phase right then. At least 2-3 people hump the armory for about 5-10 valuable seconds before going. Comm gets a TF up and 2 possibly 3 people built it while maybe 3 people shoot at the skulks and fades (keep in mind, most of them can't aim well). Skulks come rushing in and take everybody out. People phase in but get killed at the phase gate due to the phasing cap... siege lost and probably game lost and comm is yelling at marines for being idiots and not following orders.
  • DaJMastaDaJMasta Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34750Members, Constellation
    Good comms for the most part make more difference than great fades, lerks, or rambo anything. Assuming good comms have some good level of control over their team.

As for the early vs late game bias, it is definitely biased for the aliens. I mean isn't that the point of the 3rd hive? To finally be able to match firepower with marines instead of just matching mobility?
  • LeetLlamaLeetLlama Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20260Members
    edited May 2005
    I think the most important factor in the alien advantage is rez control, in both early and end game. Once aliens get their first fade they have a huge advantage at taking down marine rez nodes and keeping theirs up. Marines just cant keep up. The fact that marines dont get alerts on damaged buildings really hurts them in the rapid defense catagory too.

Also, most pub commanders are very hive focused and tend to ignore alien rez nodes. That just adds more fades and upgrades to the problem.
  • OG7OG7 Join Date: 2005-02-01 Member: 39356Members
    I fackin hate comms who dont recap res during trying to get a hive. u look on the map and all ur rts except base and the one by the PG in cargo on tanith. as soon is your attack goes down your dead.
  • Jmmsbnd007Jmmsbnd007 Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9793Banned, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Ballisto+May 22 2005, 09:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Ballisto @ May 22 2005, 09:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Fatal Error+May 19 2005, 05:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Fatal Error @ May 19 2005, 05:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I can see you've never seen an hmg spawncamping. It's a nightmare. If anything, hmgs should be lowered to 26 (isn't current base 30?) and lmgs upped to 12 base. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Two things:
    1) Reload: Hmgs have a LONG reload time. I've solo killed hmg heavies (well nub ones) as a skulk by letting them empty their hmg clip and then attacking them.
    2) Leap: If they have hmgs and you DON'T have leap, you probably deserve to die.
    3) Backup: If you don't have any fades to kill the hmger, or even a lerk to gas him, you also deserve to die.

Early game marines are strongest (range, no leap, no silence). Once fades show up, aliens have a big advantage. One grandmaster fade = gg. If marines can get enough res and tear down enough alien res early game, they stand a chance against a fade - lots of shotties, upgrades, they can attack. If marines can keep the aliens to one hive (could be by rushes not by lockdown), then the fade can only do so much (he has to run back to the hive after every battle).

The trick to killing fades is to trap them - either literally block them in doors, or have marines waiting to catch them as they exit. One lmg clip will kill a fade at any upgrade level (note: you're never going to get all 50 bullets into him) - that means that if 4 marines can keep him from escaping long enough, he's toast. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Saying that HMGs are balanced because of their "long" reload time is asinine. It takes what, ~6 seconds to reload? I'm sure your teammate can cover you while you reload. Aliens taking advantage of marines with empty HMG magazines only happens in special circumstances, ie, a marine picks up an HMG on the floor and needs to reload it, or the marines screw up really bad somehow.
  • DaJMastaDaJMasta Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34750Members, Constellation
    or your playing on a pub, i end up spending alot of my hmg time just covering other guys, cause few others do it....

And i believe base damage for un-upgraded hmg is 20, but i could be wrong....