Good Headsets?

attritionattrition Join Date: 2004-10-13 Member: 32242Members
I've had several headsets over the years from audio 90's to altec lansing 502's.

they never last, the wires always seem to break around the volume pod thing.

So far the design I have liked the best is the closed around the ear type. They seem to be the most comfortable and keep out noise pollution (people watching tv in the background).

Has anyone ran into a good quality headset?

Comments

• DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Stereo or 5.1 surround sound headsets?
  • IsamilIsamil Join Date: 2003-11-25 Member: 23552Members, Constellation
    I love my Altec Lansing 502(my plantronics broke). Other then that I can't help you.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    I absolutely love sennheisers, they just seem to be louder and more crisp than other headphones Ive tried.
  • attritionattrition Join Date: 2004-10-13 Member: 32242Members
    "I love my Altec Lansing 502(my plantronics broke). Other then that I can't help you."

Thats what I had, and they were great but they broke too. Maybe im being too fussy but it seams like they should last longer than 1 year.

I have a crapy old video card so I dont know if it can even support 5.1 or not.

I'm going to get a laptop this month so I was looking at USB models to, they have a sound card right in the line.
  • TheJimTheJim Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34080Members, Constellation
    I use sennheiser HD 595 headphones they cost a small fortune but sound superb and tbh i haven't found a set that perform as good as all the sennheiser sets i have had the liberty trying.
  • motsewmotsew Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 22001Members
    if you want surround sound, go for a set of Medusa's
  • TheGuyTheGuy Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19295Members, Constellation
    I think he's looking for good and durable as well. I went through 3 AHS502's so far. Good headphones but they break after stupidly tripping/forgetting they are on your head when you go to get the door. I guess all it would take is a headset with thick wires for it to be more durable.
  • KazbarKazbar Join Date: 2004-10-20 Member: 32368Members, Constellation
    ok over the past year i'v had 3 plantronics headsets and they have all broken, they are very bad quality. So for the past few months i havent used a headset.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    My Plantronics DSP 500 has lasted me just over a year now. Don't listen to those that say they are bad quality, it just means they treated their equipment like trash.
  • KazbarKazbar Join Date: 2004-10-20 Member: 32368Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Thaldarin+Jul 12 2005, 01:27 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Thaldarin @ Jul 12 2005, 01:27 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My Plantronics DSP 500 has lasted me just over a year now. Don't listen to those that say they are bad quality, it just means they treated their equipment like trash.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    iv treated mine with care, i dont leave it on the floor or anything. I guess its just my bad luck
  • CrispyCrispy Jaded GD Join Date: 2004-08-22 Member: 30793Members, Constellation
    PLEASE DO A SEARCH!

Off Topic Forum

Keyword: Headset

Results: 5billion
  • 2_of_Eight2_of_Eight Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20016Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-attrition+Jul 12 2005, 12:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (attrition @ Jul 12 2005, 12:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I have a crapy old video card so I dont know if it can even support 5.1 or not. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just so you don't get confused: the video card doesn't matter for sound. It's the sound card which determines whether you can handle 5.1 or not (if you have enough ports in it, etc).
  • DragonMechDragonMech Join Date: 2003-09-19 Member: 21023Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin-Crispy+Jul 12 2005, 04:17 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Crispy @ Jul 12 2005, 04:17 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> PLEASE DO A SEARCH!

Off Topic Forum

Keyword: Headset

Results: 5billion <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would be nice, if the search function worked. -_-
  • EmanonEmanon Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16254Members, Constellation
    Anyone try that Bose head set that cancels out backround noise?

Thos are like 200......nm

<a href='http://www.bose.com/controller?event=DTC_LINKS_TARGET_EVENT&DTCLinkID=2724&perfsourceid=k15318&src=k15318' target='_blank'>http://www.bose.com/controller?event=DTC_L...5318&src=k15318</a>

hah

probably the best headset out.
  • RobertoRoberto Join Date: 2003-03-16 Member: 14591Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-Emanon+Jul 12 2005, 09:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Emanon @ Jul 12 2005, 09:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Anyone try that Bose head set that cancels out backround noise?

Thos are like 200......nm

probably the best headset out. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Too bad those are just headphones, a headset has a mic
  • attritionattrition Join Date: 2004-10-13 Member: 32242Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-2 of Eight+Jul 12 2005, 09:23 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (2 of Eight @ Jul 12 2005, 09:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-attrition+Jul 12 2005, 12:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (attrition @ Jul 12 2005, 12:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I have a crapy old video card so I dont know if it can even support 5.1 or not. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just so you don't get confused: the video card doesn't matter for sound. It's the sound card which determines whether you can handle 5.1 or not (if you have enough ports in it, etc). <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I know, I just typed the wrong thing.
  • FantYFantY Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43970Members, Constellation
    has anyone tried the Logitech Precision PC Gaming ones? I was thinking of getting the plantronics audio 90s but from everything i've read, they seem to break easily and i don't want to shell out 25 bucks for new headsets every 6 months or less. the altec lansing ones i heard were uncomfortable, true?
  • CxwfCxwf Join Date: 2003-02-05 Member: 13168Members, Constellation
    I've got a plantronic (dont know model number), and its quite comfortable, gives good sound quality, and I haven't had any breakage issues in the two years I've owned it.

To be fair--my first one was attacked by my pet cat, and I did have to replace it then. But thats not really the fault of the headset. And it had already lasted about a year and a half by then.
  • urinalcakeurinalcake Can&#39;t work a sound card United States Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7799Members
    Being in NSR, I'll give you the scoop on what headsets most of us use.
    If it is a headset, and not direct input commercial microphones, we use mostly Altec Lansings, Sennheiser and a few Logitechs here and there. They all are great brands.

But in my honest opinion, I have heard the best from the Altec Lansing AHS502i and the Sennheiser HMD280-PRO
    <!--QuoteBegin-FantY+Jul 12 2005, 12:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (FantY @ Jul 12 2005, 12:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> the altec lansing ones i heard were uncomfortable, true? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I had a set of Altec's AHS 502's. They weren't bad, but the foam pads on them press onto your ears - they don't cup around your whole ear. If that won't bother you, go ahead and give them a shot.
  • AhnteisAhnteis teh Bob Join Date: 2002-10-02 Member: 1405Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    I use <a href='http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16836151019' target='_blank'>these</a>.

You'd think they would suck at this price, but I've had no problems with them. They're fairly comfortable (you may have to wear the headband at a slightly different angle then you're used to, but no biggie) and I can hear where the skulkies or marine-sicles are coming from w/o problem.

Best part is that if you break them, you just buy a new set without concern. (Or order 2 in the first place and keep a 2nd around for backup.)

Earcups fit all the way around my ears, so no problems there.
  • TheslanTheslan TWG Signature Maker Join Date: 2004-04-27 Member: 28245Members
    Ahnteis, I used to have a pair and two myself of those headsets. Unfortunately, both of them broke due to wire issues (which is why I went towards the wireless trend). After the second one broke I got tired of them and bought a better pair.

Sound quality is great, and mic is good.

I'm using a Sennheiser RS-120. It's a wireless headphone, so no mic there. I found it to have really good quality, better than some regular wired headset which surprised me. If you're buying a headset solely for gaming, I wouldn't recommend this... but it's great for all-purpose application. I've only had it a day, but the money I've spent on it is well worth the price.