Scripts = B&?

LazerManeLazerMane Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2135Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">One Step Over The Line</div> I can understand mp_blockscripts, but engineering a server plugin that automatically bans people who connect with scripts active is just taking it too far.

Oh yeah, and saying that a person is being banned for script hacking <span style='color:red'>type:88 bhop script</span> in brilliantly colored t_say for everyone in the server to see does not help things at all.

It sends the message to every new player in the world that scripting is hacking and should be eradicated forever.

Am I missing something here? I remember back in the day when I used to play TFC that the mentality was, "Oh scripts? Damn, that makes you hardcore. That's pro."

I don't play on servers with such obviously stupid plugins, but it does make me worry about the impression that the game gives to new players when all they can get now a days to play in is a Combat Server running extra levels, /menu, and a plugin that bans people automatically for having a script active.

Comments

• obuhobuh Not Quite Smart at NS Join Date: 2003-03-31 Member: 15072Members, Constellation
    Interesting. What is the name of this plugin, and what servers run it ?
    ---

Scripts have always been treated in a special way in this community, but as you say, this type of plugin is going too far and sends a bad message to players :/.
  • LazerManeLazerMane Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2135Members, Constellation
    The server I witnessed it on was this one:

[] aeRO 24/7 CoMBaT #2 [] -- Max.Lv: 50 -- Added Upgrades

67.18.172.146:27015

Bear in mind it wasn't me that was banned for it, I was ingame and saw a freshly-connected person get banned for it. This ain't a revenge post, it's a genuine show of concern.
  • SkySky Join Date: 2004-04-23 Member: 28131Members
    So what else is new...
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2005
    Server operators are entitled to enforce whatever rules and policies they want. They can do this via server side mods or enforcement by admins. If you want to criticise a server communities policies then do it elsewhere. I'm locking the topic, but if the owner of the named and shamed server wishes to defend their reputation I will allow them to post.

If you want to discuss this issue then create a new topic and refrain from naming specific servers.
This discussion has been closed.