Windows update problem

BlackMageBlackMage [citation needed] Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17474Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">yay! bluescreen!</div>so, i have this client's computer here ("here" meaning "three floors down, in his dorm room" and "client" meaning "guy who also lives in this hall.") and it has an interesting problem.
given that the default solution for a semi-reproduceable BSOD is "update video drivers, run windows update. hope." i have completed the "update video drivers" section. i would run windows update but it was found that this was, for whatever reason, the cause of the bluescreens. naturally, we don't have any "spare" winxp cds on hand so i can't run that silly recovery mode thing that seems to fix things like this... any ideas?

ps: first person to say "try updating" will get a screwdriver to the eye.

Comments

• RedfordRedford Monorailcatfjord Join Date: 2002-04-28 Member: 528Members, NS1 Playtester
    Do not run windows update.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Might be a faulty stick of RAM.
  • RathRath Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33034Members
  • BlackMageBlackMage [citation needed] Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17474Members, Constellation
    Redford: <3
    Sonic: it's a software problem, only happens as windows update prepares to install
    Rath: here's a screwdriver in your eye
  • DepotDepot The ModFather Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7956Members
    Is it possible to boot up in the Safemode?
  • BlackMageBlackMage [citation needed] Join Date: 2003-06-18 Member: 17474Members, Constellation
    it's possible to boot however i want. it bluescreens when i tell windows update to start installing things.
  • im_lostim_lost TWG Rule Guru Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15861Members
    Do you get the BSOD from using Internet Explorer and from just letting Windows Update run in the tray? I have no idea if there's any real difference in what happens in those two processes, it's just an idea that occurred to me.
  • SoulSkorpionSoulSkorpion Join Date: 2002-04-12 Member: 423Members
    So get the service packs without using windows update, then.
    1) can't use IE to get to winupdate (WGA fails, even though it's legal)
    2) it's on sp2, there are these things called "security updates" they're good for you
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    "WGA fails, even thought it's legal"?

hmmm..... I have to say, I have my doubts on this part. Get his winxp CD (his genuine one.) and recover.

If all fails, reformat and reinstall.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    you could just not get the updates and tell him to be careful what he puts on his computer. dont save credit card numbers or stuff that would cause lots of problems if people got. at least until you get your hands on another xp cd.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    If he doesn't use IE and he's careful with his firewall, he ought to be able to get by without every single Windows update. Just install the ones you can and resign yourself to going without the ones you can't.
    edited September 2006
    <!--quoteo(post=1567633:date=Sep 23 2006, 06:00 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cereal_KillR @ Sep 23 2006, 06:00 PM) [snapback]1567633[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    "WGA fails, even thought it's legal"?

hmmm..... I have to say, I have my doubts on this part. Get his winxp CD (his genuine one.) and recover.
    If all fails, reformat and reinstall.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yes. amazingly enough WGA is a nontrivial peice of software. and like any nontrivial peice of software (doubly so from microsoft) it has what are refered to as "logic errors" or, simply, "bugs."
    oh hey look, there's even a <a href="http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=442&SiteID=25" target="_blank">forum on microsoft</a> and a <a href="http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_WGA/" target="_blank">group on yahoo</a> for people who get false positives.

i'm going to try some frankensteining tonight, see if i can't get winupdate working
    ran ASR, did some frankensteinian hacks and it works! (and it passes WGA, probably failed for the same reason it bluescreened)
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Quite amazing that some people with Genuine installs can't use Windows Update, and some people that don't can do so.
    everyone *can* use windows update given that they don't have some random corrupt or otherwise modified that causes winupdate to bluescreen. i'm going to assume that it was no coincidence that the computer started bsod-ing on updates and failing wga at the same time.
    either way: wga fails. asr fixed everything.
  • DarkFrostDarkFrost Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15154Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    Another solution is, although firefox is required, use www.windizupdate.com. I was sceptical of the page to begin with, but I have had no problems with the updates recieved from there. (That has shown itself yet, that is).
  • viperviper Join Date: 2004-03-18 Member: 27402Members
    edited September 2006
    System specs and full error message please.

Very suprised no ones asked for it yet. Shame on all you budding IT support people!
    <!--quoteo(post=1568008:date=Sep 26 2006, 01:18 PM:name=Black_Mage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Black_Mage @ Sep 26 2006, 01:18 PM) [snapback]1568008[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    <b>and it works!</b>
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1568160:date=Sep 27 2006, 09:07 AM:name=viper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viper @ Sep 27 2006, 09:07 AM) [snapback]1568160[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    System specs and full error message please.

Very suprised no ones asked for it yet. Shame on all you budding IT support people!

Shame on us? At least we read the thread.
  • viperviper Join Date: 2004-03-18 Member: 27402Members
    True. I skim-read.

*slaps forehead*