NS Framerate/Mouse Freezing Problems

StarClawsStarClaws Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9974Members
As a marine or skulk (not comm), everytime I see a skulk, a phase gate, the tactical gamer annoying message (including the ns help that you can turn off), and a couple other things, I have EXTREMELY gitchy motion in my mouse(IE: 1 second of mouse working... 1 second freeze as the skulk is circling around and im shooting at the floor still. Then I can turn again and I pray I get it on him before it freezes again in the next second and hope he doesn't move) It becomes so inefficient that my new tactic is to crouch down when a skulk attacks and shoot at the floor and wiggle the mouse as much as possible hoping that it moves.

I tried turning all graphics settings to performance/low and still no problem. I normally run 100 fps and have no problems as comm and when no one is around. My bunny hopping as alien is generally unharmed. Some marines I see will freeze my mouse at times. And othertimes they don't.

Half-Life 2 mods are not affected. (IE Empires / CS:S)

Specs:
Asus A8V Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
768 MB Ram (Yes its low... but its NS and HL2 runs fine...)
ATI Radeon 1950XT 128
Windows XP
Directx 9.0c

Any other ideas?

Comments

• ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    setting HL to low priority (IIRC) is the solution, go look in the pinned thread, it has that problem there
  • StarClawsStarClaws Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9974Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1675414:date=Apr 9 2008, 05:58 AM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Thansal @ Apr 9 2008, 05:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1675414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->setting HL to low priority (IIRC) is the solution, go look in the pinned thread, it has that problem there<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can I get some help doing it? because it doesn't fix it. I open natural selection... join server... then ctrl+alt+delete and set hl.exe to low priority. Is that how im supposed to do it?
  • F4tManMGS2F4tManMGS2 Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27842Members
    I had a similar problem caused by Ventrilo; when people who talk my computer would "lock up" and continue executing whatever actions I was executing before the lockup for about a second. Recording a demo stopped it for me.
    Telling me about your ventrilo problem doesn't help mine...
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1675567:date=Apr 10 2008, 05:53 PM:name=StarClaws)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StarClaws @ Apr 10 2008, 05:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1675567"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can I get some help doing it? because it doesn't fix it. I open natural selection... join server... then ctrl+alt+delete and set hl.exe to low priority. Is that how im supposed to do it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes you did it right. The other thing you can try is recording a demo while playing. In console type record some_demo_name .

Honestly your problem sounds different from the "normal" mouse lag people ask about on the forums. You might want to see if there's a newer version of your mouse driver available.
    yeah i couldn't read that forum post suggested on steampowered.com since they wont send me an activation email for my forum account.

I am not using any mouse drivers so ill try that I guess.
  • BCSephBCSeph Join Date: 2005-02-24 Member: 42384Members, Constellation
    setting fps to 111 solved mouse problems for me. To do this you need to put "developer 1" in the launch options for NS though.
    Okay so installing my mouse drivers did not work.

I will now try the fps 111... To do the developer 1 ... How do I go about doing that? Games listing of steam... Right click Natural Selection ... Properties... then "???" "developer 1" ? or is the format different?

And then just do fps_max 111 in console?
    okay so fps_max 111 doesnt exactly help but I think it runs better if i actually TURN down fps_max to around 80... ill try other settings tomarrow
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    had similar problems with USB mouse locking up constantly ingame with an fps over 60, turning off ingame friends menu overlay solved for me.

thread linketh: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/index.php?showtopic=103479" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/ind...howtopic=103479</a>
  • F4tManMGS2F4tManMGS2 Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27842Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1675929:date=Apr 15 2008, 04:42 PM:name=StarClaws)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StarClaws @ Apr 15 2008, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1675929"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Telling me about your ventrilo problem doesn't help mine...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did you try recording a demo like I suggested? It's worked for other people who experience this problem with causes other than Ventrilo.
  • ZiGGYZiGGY Join Date: 2003-01-19 Member: 12479Members
    disabled antistropic (wtf?) filtering, that worked.