How to Balance Skill on a server

12346»

Comments

• HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I would rather with RSS that you get a decent warning before you get kicked, AND that there would be an announcement (when an RSlotted player joined) and an option to elect to leave on your own; so you wouldn't just be picked randomly and kicked for no apparent reason.

Is this the right thread?
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    Sort of but not quite.

Most posters on this subject tend to agree that there should be some sort of indicator or warning of RSlot kick probability.

I like your suggestion that a person could elect to make way for the slotter. However, I also know what happens when teams are unbalanced and a volunteer (or volunteers) is needed to go on the losing team..
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    That's no reason it shouldn't be tried.
  • NecrosisNecrosis The Loquacious Sage Join Date: 2003-08-03 Member: 18828Members, Constellation
    I'm wasn't telling you that it shouldn't be tried, I was subtly hinting that people just won't do it. They won't quit a good game, they won't quit a winning team. As I said, I've seen what happens when a server needs it's teams balanced.
  • Steve0Steve0 Join Date: 2007-07-17 Member: 61615Members
    I am sorry to say , but EVERY GAMER knows that when you play "Pub" it is usually crap and full of people who dont know how to play or are not very skilled so you should expect that kind of thing, people either go to warmup or to play for fun. IMHO a matchmaking system is a waste of time and money just to code it and test it. If you cant deal with getting destroyed every game , learn to play and grab some friends and go on a server together and learn team play and destroy them back ^_^.
  • SariselSarisel .::' ( O ) ';:-. .-.:;' ( O ) '::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    You're missing the point Steve0. We're trying to minimize the number of tears shed by new players, so that even the softies will enjoy playing NS2. Not everybody survives a trial by fire.
    Steve, what you have failed to grasp is that pub play is not "usually crap", and actually has a very wide range of player skill.

A working matchmaking system is not a waste of time, as it's success would allow for better proliferation of "community type" servers. Servers where players of roughly equivalent skill can have very enjoyable games. This is a world apart from the negative stereotype that you seem to subscribe to.

Furthermore, this sort of system has no connection to people being "destroyed", or not knowing how to play. More that its about encouraging players not to stack sides, or grief new players. NS, like every online game, relies on new players coming in to keep the community strong. By encouraging players of similar skill to play together, you make it easier for them to learn how to cooperate effectively in the world of NS.

The end result is a large, strong community that doesn't discriminate against it's elite players nor it's newbies.
    If NS2 is successful , and is decent for competitve play, im preety sure you will see something like #ns2.wars or something on quakenet where people will sit and say stuff like "5v5 high server off /q". Which 9 times out of 10 it happens, theres no need to make a matchmaking system as skilled players know where to go to look for it (same with most people looking for competition of all skill levels) and im preety sure they wont invade pub servers much to unbalance things.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1677241:date=Apr 30 2008, 03:34 PM:name=Steve0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Steve0 @ Apr 30 2008, 03:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1677241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If NS2 is successful , and is decent for competitive play, I'm pretty sure you will see something like #ns2.wars or something on quakenet where people will sit and say stuff like "5v5 high server off /q". Which 9 times out of 10 it happens, theres no need to make a matchmaking system as skilled players know where to go to look for it (same with most people looking for competition of all skill levels) and I'm pretty sure they wont invade pub servers much to unbalance things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Matching is mainly for casual players. The only time a competitive player would use it is when the normal channels aren't working.
    <!--quoteo(post=1677242:date=Apr 30 2008, 08:42 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(locallyunscene @ Apr 30 2008, 08:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1677242"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Matching is mainly for casual players. The only time a competitive player would use it is when the normal channels aren't working.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Normal channels ? it would be a normal channel lol. Check out #cod4.wars or #pracc , lots of people in there.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1677246:date=Apr 30 2008, 03:52 PM:name=Steve0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Steve0 @ Apr 30 2008, 03:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1677246"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Normal channels ? it would be a normal channel lol. Check out #cod4.wars or #pracc , lots of people in there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I guess I don't understand what you mean. I know competitive players use IRC. I don't think that will change.
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    You should define "channels" more clearly to avoid confusion. Ethics aside, matchmaking groups players together so that they can get a greater level of enjoyment from games. If you're busy getting dominated, you're probably not going to be having fun. If you're surrounded by idiots (ever get that feeling?) and this holds back your gaming, you're probably not going to be having fun. It's all about finding that happy medium..

Players don't have to be "competitive" to destroy servers. They don't have to go to some IRC channel or participate in scrims - nobody forces them.