Will NS2 Engine support these effects?

NS-SkorpioNNS-SkorpioN Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58101Members
Recently I watched some demo videos of “Stalker: Clear Sky” for DirectX 10 version (http://cs.stalker-game.com/en/?page=video) and it left me really astonished because of the shown effects. That’s why I was wondering, as NS2 is still in development and apparently for another year at least, if it could be possible that these effects are implemented in the Engine. That would be great for the game!

- Soft Water.
- Volumetric Fire.
- Dynamic Volumetric Smoke
- Dynamic Wet Surface.
- Water Splashes.
- Water Streaming Down Surfaces.

I am also aware that there will be no water in NS2 scenarios, but allow me to clarify that there’s no need of much water on them. For example, NS2 could easily implement these effects:

- Dynamic Wet Surface.
- Water Splashes.

Just imagine a corridor with pipes on the ceiling, with water falling from them like rain, gushing through the walls (Water Streaming Down Surfaces), splashing the floor (Water Splashes), and both the floor and walls looking all wet (Dynamic Wet Surface), with a blinking light and a Skull running around on top of the pipes to complete the scene O_o

Comments

• douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    given that the flamethrower is planned, i would imagine that volumetric fire is a must, and whats volumetric fire without volumetric smoke?

and I completely agree with the water elements you mentioned. none of them are game changing, but if done right they are incredibly atmospheric.
  • SquishySquishy Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6877Members
    - Soft Water.
    - Dynamic Wet Surface.
    - Water Splashes.

The rest, probably. Water seems to not be as efficient a use of frames. Huge slowdown for really a minor visual effect.

I'm hoping for HDR, precisely since people tend to amp up their monitor's settings to maximum to see in shadows, and HDR makes the shadows still dark when are blinded or change from outside to inside. Since it's a rendering effect and not a purely visual after-effect like typical lighting, it isn't easily deflatable.

Flash grenades and other blinding effects also would mess with you - and the ability to lurk and hide is critical in this game.