"Weird" input devices

KissamiesKissamies Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4748Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Engine support for joystick and such</div>The engine looks promising to me, but one thing to remember is that there are some weird people who don't use the ol' keyboard and mouse combo. For example I have used joystick + mouse (joy to move, mouse to aim) since Dark Forces II. This has made me to favor FPS games with <b>good</b> joystick support. Some games have no support, others simply have joy directions corresponding movement keys, but the really good ones have gradual movement: Push the stick little and the guy moves slowly, push it a lot and the guy moves fast. That's very precise and smooth movement when you can do this with both back and forth movement and strafing.

Anyways, the point is that it would be nice for the engine have support for various weird control schemes people might have, and good customization options for adjusting them.

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Make your own C++ drivers!

Sorry, not helpful.
  • Paradox MonkeyParadox Monkey Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61969Members
    I'd like to see neural input technology refined and further implemented in games.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_Impulse_Actuator" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_Impulse_Actuator</a>
  • the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Members, Constellation
    You could only make those input device support classes if you understood enough about the NS2 source code where it relates to the HID input interface, plus debugging those drivers would be a nightmare.

I have no idea how that'd work. And because of encapsulation due the nature of a for-profit software, <i>only</i> the developers could code and compile that hardware support.
  • ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    they should add the compatability >=( or a easy program to do so, since some people DO just use joystick and mouse. so yea, it'd be nice. but in NS2, wont marines just have walk and run, no inbetween =P?