Browser-based Strategy Games

MastodonMastodon Old Fogie Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12052Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">rule</div>I recently got the itch to play some city-building games like Zeus and Emperor and the other Impressions Games of yore. On my little quest I quickly discovered three rather fun and interesting and <b>free</b> browser games that fill this little part of my gaming soul. The three are Ikariam, Travian, and Nile Online. I recently dumped Travian as it seemed like I was constantly having to wait for my wheat production to catch up - that and the interface was less than exemplary. However, Ikariam and Nile are very cool and have snagged a few hours of my day away.

www.ikariam.org
www.playnileonline.com

Has anyone else tried these? What do you all think? If you do try them let me know and I'll tell you where to find me.

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I played Ikariam until I realized it was the slowest game I had ever played.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    A bunch of IRCites got into Ikariam a little while ago (a few left I think) but it didn't last too long. Like Align said, the game gets so slow after the first few days since it takes ages to build/do anything.
  • MastodonMastodon Old Fogie Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12052Members, Constellation
    Yeah, that's kind of what I like about: there's no rush. You log in for a bit, give a few orders, and you're on to other things.
  • KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair 日本福岡県 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos
    <!--quoteo(post=1695623:date=Dec 8 2008, 02:18 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Comprox @ Dec 8 2008, 02:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1695623"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A bunch of IRCites got into Ikariam a little while ago (a few left I think) but it didn't last too long. Like Align said, the game gets so slow after the first few days since it takes ages to build/do anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think we were on there for about a week or two several months ago. I think it was during the summer maybe.
  • GwahirGwahir Join Date: 2002-04-24 Member: 513Members, Constellation
    that sounds about right.

I stopped playing right after I got those mech like military units. I was preying on the inactives and going against others was rarely worth the cost/risk when held against he potential gains.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I have a few friends who are avid Travian players. Not much of one myself. Still have to catch up with the rest of the world and play Mass Effect. =]
  • RetalesRetales Panigg cultist Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19180Members
    I played Travian for a while, but you get trampled in this kind of games unless you're spending every second of the game in the most effective way possible. Kinda beats the idea (that I had) of a casual strategy/building game when you have to wake up 4 am to start a building and send fake attacks.
  • MastodonMastodon Old Fogie Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12052Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1695658:date=Dec 9 2008, 04:46 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spellman23 @ Dec 9 2008, 04:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1695658"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Still have to catch up with the rest of the world and play Mass Effect. =]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bioshock here.

I know.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Bit off the topic, but <a href="http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/launchpad/launchball/" target="_blank">this game</a>, though easy, has soul-soothing ambience.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    The music is insanity-inducing. Those constant clicking noises sound like my headphones are broke. Fun though.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <a href="http://playauditorium.com/" target="_blank">Even more musically bad-ass</a>

Plus it has cool particle physics.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I wish these games had options to skip puzzles. I don't want to be locked out of the rest of the game because there's a single puzzle I can't complete.