Hoping this makes it into the game.

CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
I was thinking about a feature that can be implemented related to the Power Grid Design. For when resource nodes are wiped out by the aliens(or if the room is dark to begin with) that are not connected to the room with the Command chair/tech point room, Aliens should have one thing that is visible in the dark. Their eyes. I would love to see orange glowing eyes similar to that of Killzone 2. I don't own Killzone 2 nor a PS3, but I thought that the whole distinct feature of showing the glowing eyes was really well thought out/designed. It would also provide some balance for the marines to locate the aliens in the dark.

Sorry if this idea has come up before, I couldn't find it in the forums.

What do you guys think of this?

Crispix.

Comments

• HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    The marines don't need any balance to find aliens in the dark. Dark areas are meant to be sided towards the aliens...marines have their ears and flashlights to locate aliens in the dark. I love glowing eyes as much as the next guy but it'd be an unnecessary change that would put the aliens at a disadvantage.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    We still do not know the advantages aliens have in the dark. We don't even know if the cloaking ability will still exist in the game, which would hide the glowing eyes either way.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    edited May 2009
    Think about it. People notice partially cloaked aliens. Noticing glowing eyes in a dark environment would be even easier, an unnecessary disadvantage for the aliens.
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    Darkness is bad design to begin with, myeh.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2009
    We don't potentially know how dark the rooms will be/how the rooms will be designed. You have glowing eyes going the same speed as the aliens in current NS(bunny hopping wise or leaping or celerity), it shouldn't make too much of a difference. We don't even know if lights will just be flickering in rooms, which still partially lights up a room. We don't know if the flames from a flame thrower will emmit light (which I'm assuming it will).

I sort of want to hear from the devs on this one, and try to gain more information I suppose on how dark these rooms will be. Will lights be flickering in powered down rooms, or will the lights be powered off completely? I'm assuming as a node is being attacked, lights start flickering, computers start going nuts etc etc.

I guess a good way of summing up my question is, on a scale of 1-10 related to the shadows/darkness of Doom3, how dark will the rooms that are powered down, in NS2 be?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I like it, especially since there is dynamic lighting. I don't know if we'll end up seeing 100% black rooms though (although it would be amazing to see alien eyes then flip the lights on and see 10 aliens and DI everywhere).
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    If you do darkness, it <b>has</b> to be 100% black. Even the slightest bit of colour would allow people to use a program like gammaramp to boost their gamma letting them see clearly. This was a problem on NS1 with all the lightgamma, texgamma, overbright etc... commands.
    It would just be so awesome to enter a room that is completely dark, and then you're looking around, the sounds of growing dynamic infestation is everywhere (squishy noises) creeps you out, and you look up on the ceiling, and the last thing you see, are a pair of orange menacing eyes come crashing down at you.

Imagine lerks or fades, coming at a fast speed at you, just seeing eyes coming at you, not knowing exactly where to shoot, making it so intense. I would actually feel very frightened at a sight like that to be honest, but again it would be so bad ass. And then you have the onos eyes, the most mean looking ones, giving you that feeling of "you're invading my territory".

But for the gorge, you must give it cute eyes with huge pupils and a shine mark in them!

Nah jk, bad ass glowing eyes as well.
  • CxwfCxwf Join Date: 2003-02-05 Member: 13168Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1706171:date=May 4 2009, 02:48 AM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ May 4 2009, 02:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1706171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you do darkness, it <b>has</b> to be 100% black. Even the slightest bit of colour would allow people to use a program like gammaramp to boost their gamma letting them see clearly. This was a problem on NS1 with all the lightgamma, texgamma, overbright etc... commands.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pitch black is bad for gameplay though. I would suggest that the best way to combat gamma-ramp type workarounds would be to make sure maps have both dark areas and very bright areas, so a person who set his gamma to make dark areas look bright would be blinded in the bright areas.

For game design then, you don't want to limit players ability to set their graphics commands, but you would want to prevent graphics commands from working mid-game. Make graphics commands only work from the main menu or on restart, and then a player has to pick one setting and stick with it, and couldn't easily swap between gamma-boosted and not-boosted depending on which part of the map he was in.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited May 2009
    Won't help against monitor / video card setting alteration though.
    <!--quoteo(post=1706212:date=May 4 2009, 06:26 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ May 4 2009, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1706212"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Won't help against monitor / video card setting alteration though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is true. But as stated from Cxwf, if you were to turn up your brightness, sure dark areas would be brighter, but very bright areas would be extremely bright.

The best method of selecting a brightness level is similar to the ways of what FEAR 2 did. ( I know lots of other games do the same method, but this one came to mind first) Basically before you even get access to the main menu of the game, a pop-up will come up, asking you to select a brightness level. There will be that diagram with the text that says "Darkest, Darker, Medium, Bright, etc. Not sure how to describe it exactly, but you're supposed to choose a brightness setting where the text "Darkest" is not visable at all, and Darker, is slightly visable.

Anyways, can we keep the topic relevant to the Alien Glowing eyes?

Thanks.

Crispix.
  • MARINE_DUDEMARINE_DUDE Join Date: 2007-01-04 Member: 59427Members
    yup, just thought about a dark skulk

HIDING !

IN DA DARK . . . . .

REFLECTING the light FROM the LIT UP AREA THE MARINE IS STANDING AT !!

even aiding the marines help maybe nessesary to shoot, gun fire light (REFLECTS) comming from the nozzle of gun, if ya catch my drift

ONLY of course, from only those, SLIMY WET SOULESS EYES.

WET ALIEN EYES REFLECT

YeeeeaaaaahhhhHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!

laters.

ps: @ age 35 NS2 is for my grand kids
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1706246:date=May 5 2009, 02:26 AM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ May 5 2009, 02:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1706246"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That is true. But as stated from Cxwf, if you were to turn up your brightness, sure dark areas would be brighter, but very bright areas would be extremely bright.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So turn it back down. Maybe it even has presets so you can do it in a few button presses.