Respawn waiting duration

halonhalon Join Date: 2007-08-04 Member: 61781Members
edited August 2009 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">A suggestion on how to make waiting times fun!</div>Post withdrawn.

Comments

• PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    edited August 2009
    Wow, this would make NS2 SUCK!
    rats... it just doesnt make sense...
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    There is a reason why you can't spectate the enemy team...
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    This takes way too much effort to do and does absolutely nothing for the game except kill respawn times. But seriously, I'd rather watch my teammates do stuff than be a rat. And respawns arent that long anyway.
  • GregzenegairGregzenegair Join Date: 2009-06-26 Member: 67944Members
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Acting dumb, being killed? There's your penalty: You're out. But we're not mean, you may come back later.

Ok, I don't like to sit out, too, but that's gamedesign 101 to give the attacker a chance.

But rats? C'mon, how do you even describe it for Marines? Roaches for aliens, m'kay. Can live with that.
    Think about both sides at least. The response would maybe be better if you'd wrote recon drones.

But then they'd say there are sprites (glowies) and the repairbot(s) for a reason...
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    this idea sounds like it came from a 12 year old
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    i think this idea is onto something! Why not make being dead still part of the game?

I don't like the idea of rats - but I HATE WAITING TO RESPAWN!

Perhaps when you die as a marine you spawn immediatley in teleportation room - it has a big wall with the minimap on it, so you can see what the commander and other players doing.
    Then after X amount of seconds the teleporter opens and you step through it and spawn on the IP as per normal
    OR you could have something where dead marines play as temp commanders?

As aliens, you when you die, you should respawn immediately as floating nymph around the hive - you can float anywhere you want but not too far from the hive - after X amount of seconds you can land and egg into a skulk.
  • General_WarhammerGeneral_Warhammer Join Date: 2009-02-14 Member: 66414Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1723527:date=Aug 18 2009, 04:47 PM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Aug 18 2009, 04:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723527"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As aliens, you when you die, you should respawn immediately as floating nymph around the hive - you can float anywhere you want but not too far from the hive - after X amount of seconds you can land and egg into a skulk.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This I like. How cool would it be to play as a nymph and then morph into an egg when ready to spawn?
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    I personally recommend (at least) a client-side setting for players to turn on some elevator music...
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members
    Imagine...
    while waiting, you go into an instant-death arena with other dead ppl
    after u've bee powned twice, you go to the arena of twice slaughtered ppl
    by the time your in the third or fourth dead arena, you'll be killing other dead guys, who are worse than you.
  • halonhalon Join Date: 2007-08-04 Member: 61781Members
    <!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=PhiXX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhiXX)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, this would make NS2 SUCK!
    rats... it just doesnt make sense...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Gregzenegair)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gregzenegair)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol, just lol...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you to those who gave constructive criticism, be it harsh or blunt.

Rats might have some impact on the story line, yes. Spectating your friends playing while dead isn't part of the story line of the game - there aren't any bots with cameras floating above your head while running around. The point is, you wouldn't be extremely surprised if you see rats running around (we are humans ourselves). The idea is that you get surprised the devs "added that much detail", and lo and behold, the rats are actually intelligent without using AI!

Perhaps I should have mentioned that this idea was likely only to allude to a future feature. Whether it be 80% of what I mentioned, 0.5%, or perhaps only inspiration for a feature that is truly nice to all of you.

For all I care, I wish for this thread to be locked. When you're a postgrad computer science student, a small amount of time away from copious projects to dream up ideas in good faith for free should be appreciated in the least. Regardless of how stupid/idiotic it may be.

I can't remember the last time I felt so insulted. I am embarrassed.