Combat

iPandaiPanda Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68417Members
I may have missed this, if so someone feel free to tell me.
But has Combat been removed from the game? I know this is early days and NS was and will allways be the prioraty but is
Combat ever likely to make the game in any of it's versions?

Comments

• Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1724400:date=Aug 21 2009, 07:31 PM:name=iPanda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iPanda @ Aug 21 2009, 07:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724400"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I may have missed this, if so someone feel free to tell me.
    But has Combat been removed from the game? I know this is early days and NS was and will allways be the prioraty but is
    Combat ever likely to make the game in any of it's versions?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Combat is gone from the official game but recall that NS2 is going to be a modders dream game. If you want it, you are free to make a combat mod.
  • iPandaiPanda Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68417Members
    Well after a little thought and the way the upgrades have changed I can't see it working well.
    But I wasn't ever really a fan of combat I just wanted an answer that's all.
  • ShalrathShalrath Join Date: 2009-04-20 Member: 67237Members
    I know there's a lot of benefit from choice, but was Combat really that successful? I hated it - it was everything vanila NS wasn't.
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    There are a lot of people who secretly like combat out there. You know the people... the servers loads on a combat map and you votemap off it to 10/12 votes yet there are 24 people in the ######en thing.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Ill be honest, I never liked CO, and I definately never join a server that I see is running CO, but if I'm on a server that switches to a CO map I'll rarely complain. I just play it for 20 min or however long its on so that I can get back to NS on the next map rotation. Plus I just think of it as target practice so that I'll be that much better at tracking a skulk with my LMG or timing that shotty blast just right. That said, I dont think CO should be included in NS2 as a developer decision. Mods will crop up for those that want it.

One more thing to add though. I do really value CO as a training tool simply because it gives you valuable experience with the various life-forms/weapons. In a normal NS game, if you suck with a GL then you usually die in a couple seconds with it, before you've had a chance to really use/learn it. This starts a vicious cycle, where you acquiring the weapon happens so infrequently that you never get any good at it. CO kind of gives you a chance to try over and over again with the higher tech and really get a feel for it to be more effective at NS vanilla, but in a way thats actually competitive and entertaining (bot servers SUCK!).

Still, leave it to the rogue LUA modders to do it. Devs shouldnt waste their time with it.
  • TheRealFuryTheRealFury Join Date: 2009-06-29 Member: 67971Members
    CO for me was a good thing, i liked the change of pace from the vanilla NS to the all out frag war that was CO. As stated it did wonders for your target practice as well. If you ask me i think if it doesnt get modded by the community then it will probably come out as an addon / booster later on. wouldnt expect UWE to waste time on it for the release though.

Personally i cant see why there is such a stigma against liking CO... i play both and enjoy both because they are both totally different ways to play the same basic game.
  • MrChadMrChad Melbourne, Australia Join Date: 2008-07-02 Member: 64536Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I preferred NS maps over CO mainly because I'd been playing NS way before CO was introduced (since v1.0 actually :D). The feeling for the game was built upon the FPS/RTS style. CO wasn't around back then and was introduced quite some time later as a "practice game type" for people who were new to NS (and I do think it worked quite well for them, too well in fact that it soon became their main game type). Nonetheless, it really wasn't the same, it took away the uniqueness of NS and turned it into something like Counter-Strike with the Warcraft3 add-on, not that that's something bad, but it was no longer NS; it didn't have RTS elements in it (correct me if I'm wrong, haven't played NS in a while).

In no way am I saying I didn't like CO, in fact it was great for things like target practice, as stated by JAmazon. I think JAmazon has done a great job at summarising things. I wouldn't join a server that had a CO map going on, but wouldn't complain if the server I was on changed to a CO map.

I think UWE took the right choice. Thumbs up.
    Good luck to the modders ^^

Chad.
  • sos32291sos32291 Join Date: 2009-08-01 Member: 68327Members
    Combat was good for a drastic change of pace. I played NS from its initial Halloween release, and even I liked the mindless fragfest the Combat was. It was obviously popular, and Combat servers were rarely without a significant amount of people in them during NS's hayday. I have no doubt that in one form or another, Combat will come out for NS2, and it will be even more successful then its predecessor.
  • ewatkinsewatkins Join Date: 2009-08-13 Member: 68449Members
    God i hope not.

Personally, and many will likely disagree :D, i thought combat ruined ns... im really hoping they keep it old school for ns2!!!
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited August 2009
    Combat killed Classic gameplay, and by gameplay I mean the servers.

It was the worst Developer decision of NS1, if there had to be a #1 pick for the game.
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I may have missed this, if so someone feel free to tell me.
    Combat ever likely to make the game in any of it's versions?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There will be no CO in NS2.

CO can be made via the modding community.

Me, I liked CO for what it was, and that it wasn't NS. I see it as a seperate entity, and not an addition to NS.
    It was like a spinoff series of a favourite TV show, same universe, similar characters, but not the same show - and this is where I think all the hate is coming from, the confusion that it's the same. It's not.
    The same confusion and up roar is coming from the same people who are going "omg they took out/changed these classic/legendary features - im not buying it now"
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    I enjoyed combat, but I do agree with it killing the integrity and standard game of NS. Even though I enjoyed it, I would much rather it not exist in the first place, and I hope it won't find its way onto NS2 although most likely it will..

It took everything that made NS great and unique and tarnished it, made it into every other death match style game that is out in abundance. It is the equivalent of having a band you love, "sell out."