Marine HUD Alien HUD Impairment.

TY2D2TY2D2 Join Date: 2009-09-16 Member: 68792Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Effects on faction HUDs to impair or limit visibility and effectivenes</div>I was inspired for this idea after reading the news article about the New Frontiersman. It mentions the helmet being changed etc and how it uses two hologrpahics projectors to display the HUD.

Now wouldn't it be cool to add some depth to the classes by giving a few select classes or weapons/attacks that impair the enemies HUD effectiveness? I was thinking the aliens attacking the players head without killing him would maybe add a static effect to all HUD displays for that player. And if there are any splatter type attacks the hud would be totally blocked out and the palyer would be left with only iron sights/scope and the select parts of the HUD that are neccessary for playing, like squad commands, and building type stuff. Weapon ammo, health, minimap and crosshairs for humans would be gone completely leaving the player to use only his own sight and ironsights to identify enemies and fight.

Now on the flip side aliens would have to avoid being shot in the head etc to balance it out their vision would become bloodier if they were shot in the face and/or head. Not completely obstructed, but enough to limit it a bit around the edges, or distort some vital information.

Either side could have certain abilities or weapons that were designed to specifically target this area of combat, like a flashbang -type- weapon for Marines that only affects the aliens, hence not an actual flashbang but a alien vision targetting device, you could say it was some sort of heat radiation or sound frequency. And the aleins could have some sort of splatter attack that blocks out the Marines HUD entirely. Damaging their helmet would also contribute to the weakening of their HUD info.

I think that something like this would fit in perfectly with the atmostphere of NS, in other games they have tried these kinds of effects but their never get it just right, or it doesn't fit the occasion. Here it just feels like it would be perfect.

Comments

• sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    i dont know if i would like to see NS turn into a CS flashbang spamfest , i say no , and aliens spitting into my face before they attack me while being blind..nah.. not, thats such a no go
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    I could go for stomp/charge disorientating marines' view. Beyond that, any kind of view obstruction is extremely touchy.
  • Tom HoenTom Hoen Join Date: 2009-07-02 Member: 68004Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727417:date=Sep 16 2009, 07:55 AM:name=TY2D2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TY2D2 @ Sep 16 2009, 07:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think that something like this would fit in perfectly with the atmostphere of NS, in other games they have tried these kinds of effects but their never get it just right, or it doesn't fit the occasion. Here it just feels like it would be perfect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You pointed it out yourself. I like the idea, but it doesn't work in games. This sounds like devour but done with different weapon.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited September 2009
    The only game I've seen making this work is CS and most of it is based on breaking those defensive positions. NS on the other hand hasn't that kind of gameplay so far.

I think NS' had quite nice of obstructing vision with things like buildings, explosions, spit and spore. Those can stay, but I can't see any need to take it further.
  • TY2D2TY2D2 Join Date: 2009-09-16 Member: 68792Members
    Well if you guys had read more closely instead of jumping to the 'OMG ITS LIEK CS" conclusion you would have noticed that I didn't suggest something like a flashbang at all really.

I mean weapons that would obstruct your HUD, [HEADS UP DISPLAY]. Being the info displayed on your screen about your status. The part that would actually obstruct your true vision I would rather only appear at the edges of the screen to make it a bit narrower for a moment while you are being hit, this is actually done in almost all games these days, a sort of red indicator, or blood is used usually. It works very well like this in Project Reality, except PR is a realism modern combat game not a futuristic alien game, so the holographic HUDs don't come into play there. When you get shot at your view gets dark around the edges and narrows your view a little so it gets pretty tense. It is really great to see the flash of your gun through it as your light up a building interior in a crazed gunfight. The contrast is exhilerating to see really.

The part I hate about PR however is when you are wounded badly/near death your screen is totally distorted, which I don't like. An example of a bad way to do these imo.

Deactivating the HUD really has nothing to do with the effects of a CS flashbang. It would disable your crosshair and other info for awhile, until the effects wear off by some means, be that a medic, time regeneration or whatever.
    I could maybe see some kind of HUD shutdown used as a alien comm area effect spell or some other kind of area of effect attack for initiating a fight, but just as a single target side effect I can't see that much purpose for it.

I think they mentioned the HUD was going through big cuts anyway, I wonder if removing it momentarily is going to have that big of an effect anyway.
  • La ChupacabraLa Chupacabra Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63729Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1727417:date=Sep 16 2009, 04:55 AM:name=TY2D2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TY2D2 @ Sep 16 2009, 04:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->crosshairs for humans would be gone completely leaving the player to use only his own sight and ironsights to identify enemies and fight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Personally I would like to see the typical crosshair taken out of the game, and instead give the ability to take a laser pointer as a gun modification (they have done it in The Hidden: Source and it worked great). Some of you will probably think that it would make it much harder for marines to sneak around, but in reality it works in a opposite way: in Hidden you were so used to seeing those laser pointers all around the place when marines were nearby, so whenever a marine was switching his laser off for a second and sneaking it was much easier to fall into his ambush.
  • TY2D2TY2D2 Join Date: 2009-09-16 Member: 68792Members
    Well even with a limited HUD it adds to the immersion effect. If stuff is getting shutdown as you are getting attacked it adds to the 'AWE ######!' feel of everything.

I like the idea of the laser sight instead of crosshairs, that was awesome in Hidden.
    <!--quoteo(post=1727595:date=Sep 17 2009, 12:36 AM:name=TY2D2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TY2D2 @ Sep 17 2009, 12:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1727595"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well even with a limited HUD it adds to the immersion effect. If stuff is getting shutdown as you are getting attacked it adds to the 'AWE ######!' feel of everything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Immersion and RTS/FPS hybrid are an unholy alliance. Sure, NS had it's immersion too, but I think the purpose should still benefit the gameplay. If you want immersion over the gameplay, single player FPSes are your thing anyway.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    edited September 2009
    Say for example you are caught in a explosion and you are tossed into a wall.. Or hit by a large alien but you survive.

Your HUD can go offline (because it is damaged) and you will be able to only view with human eyes.

That would be very very nice, stuff like this would make the game great.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd been nice if the skulks would stop ogling their food <b>after</b> they bit chunks of it, but I guess it's got to do with gameplay reasons.
    Doesn't mean I like it, tho.
  • Batabusa2Batabusa2 Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67507Members
    BATTERIES, HELMETS GO BLANK WHEN BATTERIES GO DRY!!!11oneoene
    AND RUST! Let us impair game play with all sorts of weird mechanics and ######!

C'mon you all, let's NOT rape this <u>game</u>...
    (It's not a movie)
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    edited September 2009
    As long as you're talking about the HUD and not vision impairment, I'd like it as long as they leave core stuff alone.

These things aren't going to be on the HUD proper anyway; ammo is on the gun and health is abstracted away from numbers. The only other parts of the HUD are commander name, gametime, personal and team res, commander actions, upgrades and equip, kill notifications, minimap, and status effects. TBH I don't care if most of that stuff goes away while in battle. Hell take away that part of the HUD most of the time, but supply it on demand(customizable tab screen anyone?).

When I'm in battle all I want is: health, ammo, kill notification, and immediate status effects(stomped, parasited, gassed, umbra'd, catalyst, being beaconed, other commander spells affecting me). As long as HUD impairment effects don't touch these I'm fine with it.

In general, move the commander name, gametime, personal and team res to the tab screen. Make a separate commander actions screen, but make it more extensive so I can see if the comm is researching a1, pgs, aa whatever. I want to know to know my overall fitness at a glance always(health, ammo, upgrades, equip) and similar status effects, but I would be okay if the non core HUD stuff could be disrupted.

Similar for kharaa, health, upgrades, kill notifications, and status effects. Everything else can be on demand.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    Health isn't shown in numbers? -- thats bad design
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    I think this idea would add a lot of immersion to the game, as long as its temporary. However, if the opposing team has to purchase, evolve, or basically use res to access this ability, I see it failing since it does not provide much gameplay advantage.
    <!--quoteo(post=1728625:date=Sep 24 2009, 05:55 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Sep 24 2009, 05:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1728625"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this idea would add a lot of immersion to the game, as long as its temporary. However, if the opposing team has to purchase, evolve, or basically use res to access this ability, I see it failing since it does not provide much gameplay advantage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Depends. In NS1 it could hurt the marine team coordination if done correctly, but with the less informative HUD it isn't going to be as big of a deal.