NS2 Caleague Support?

ObamanismObamanism Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69442Banned
edited November 2009 in NS2 General Discussion
I remember the old days when there were clans and leagues for NS. Do you think NS2 will make a big comeback in terms of league play? What is the current NS1 league scene looking like? I haven't played NS1 in a while, and I am going to guess that it is down a lot compared to the good old days, right? Do you think lots of old players of NS will return and take up clans and join leagues or something when NS2 comes out? Is the dev team going to think about how to maxamize clan competitions as they continue developing the game prior to the day they launch NS2? Is it worth it for the devs to really think about a clan and/or a how to promote competitive play strategy and how to maxamize it because maybe a good league or competitive scene will perhaps do good and drive up the total amount of player interest despite knowing that not every player is going to be in a competitive clan and face off in matches?

Does Caleague still exist and is it still a top league for gamers?

Furthermore, do you think the "eR" or "Evolution Revolution" clan is destined to make a comeback?

Comments

• NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    They had a chat with some of the most experienced Euro league players, so it's a safe assumption they aren't ignoring the competetive play and leagues. What a dev team can do about the actual process of creating and running the league is another thing. ENSL is still doing OK though (despite running only a fraction of teams and activity it used to have). So, as long as NS2 turns out to be interesting there should be at least an European league running.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    edited November 2009
    Competitive is in safe hands. It might not be ready for serious play on the first release (lack of demos, spectating) but after talking with Flayra it's pretty clear he'll help cater for us.

I wish he'd release the Teamspeak audio log of the conversation- some good stuff was brought up and he was happy to answer every question we had (and vice versa)- no cagey "mmmm wait and see" replies.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    The new CAL is CEVO, talk with them for competitive stuff.

All those other leagues like STA/TWL are very minor/non-existant in mainstream online competitve gaming.
  • RikkAndrsnRikkAndrsn Join Date: 2009-06-07 Member: 67741Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1738547:date=Nov 21 2009, 04:55 PM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Nov 21 2009, 04:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738547"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All those other leagues like STA/TWL are very minor/non-existant in mainstream online competitve gaming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It really depends on the game. Right now CS 1.6, CS:S, and TF2 are gravitating towards having ESEA as the main league. CEVO is just as big as ESEA but doesn't have as high a pot prize (but also doesn't have a fee to join most levels). TWL has improved its CS:S and TF2 leagues and runs one of the most successful L4D ladders, so what it really comes down to now is the skill level of the team. Teams that are very serious and skilled play in ESEA, with two matches a week and some big cash catering towards people who want a very competitive and high stakes situation. CEVO has mid level to high level teams, just like ESEA, but with the added mixers of having tons of low to mid range teams mixed in. TWL now holds the low to mid market share in most games across the board and has been pretty aggressive in trying to take over the market share of games that were in CAL but CEVO, ESEA, and ECO decided not to pick up. STA is a joke, as usual.

ECO is the newcomer league, formed by some CAL admins.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1738577:date=Nov 21 2009, 04:32 PM:name=RikkAndrsn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RikkAndrsn @ Nov 21 2009, 04:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1738577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It really depends on the game. Right now CS 1.6, CS:S, and TF2 are gravitating towards having ESEA as the main league. CEVO is just as big as ESEA but doesn't have as high a pot prize (but also doesn't have a fee to join most levels). TWL has improved its CS:S and TF2 leagues and runs one of the most successful L4D ladders, so what it really comes down to now is the skill level of the team. Teams that are very serious and skilled play in ESEA, with two matches a week and some big cash catering towards people who want a very competitive and high stakes situation. CEVO has mid level to high level teams, just like ESEA, but with the added mixers of having tons of low to mid range teams mixed in. TWL now holds the low to mid market share in most games across the board and has been pretty aggressive in trying to take over the market share of games that were in CAL but CEVO, ESEA, and ECO decided not to pick up. STA is a joke, as usual.

ECO is the newcomer league, formed by some CAL admins.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I forgot about ESEA, but isn't that primarily Counter-Strike? At least, worthwhile money wise.

TWL has been big for games like Battlefield 2 and such, but you never saw anyone of those at a CPL type lan event, for serious money.

Quakecon is a different story entirely, if anyone wants to bring that up.

But ya, you are pretty much right. The one thing about ESEA, is that it costs money to play(for each single person as far as I know), where CEVO has free ladders.

STA = Team Fortress Classic/Fortress Forever?, and that is pretty much it. TFL was the fun TFC league, but it since has died.

ECO is going to turn out like BOE, and secretly be a keylogger scam with their game client.

I think NS2 would do well to get the attention from CEVO, because I believe free play is the best for the non proffesional lan anthlete crowd.
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    CAL died a while back. Like, for reals. CGS is also down the tubes if you missed that memo.

ESEA is probably the biggest money league running right now (in North America; I can't speak for Europe). They're primarily targeted at CS and CS:S, but the fact that they're starting their 3rd season of TF2 shows that they're willing to invest in unproven games when they see potential. However, ESEA is pay-to-play, so although they'd <i>like</i> the less serious teams to sign on, they haven't been successful in attracting anyone below mid level (which is actually probably around the top quarter of active teams for TF2).

Poor administration has cost CEVO its position as the league-of-choice for TF2. ESEA now holds that crown. I'm not sure what CS is doing, but given that ESEA has much larger prize pools I'd assume they're winning that contest as well.

TWL will basically make a league for any game you give them. In the last few seasons, good administration for TF2 has transformed it from a joke league (STA/UGC level) to the premier home of free-to-play competition. Currently all but the top TF2 teams participate, although from what I gather it is less significant for the games that pull in big money like CS and WoW.

Since NS 2 probably won't have a substantial following to start with, I'd look for CEVO and TWL leagues and hope for good admins. If things are going decently, you might be able to get an ESEA division with some prize money. I know the Xensity boys are keeping an eye on the game, so if it's not terribly noobified they'll probably come back to check it out.