Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 pre-alpha tools released!

Comments

• garvanigarvani Join Date: 2009-09-02 Member: 68678Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1739384:date=Nov 24 2009, 06:17 PM:name=Joris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Joris @ Nov 24 2009, 06:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2-3 MB/sec - tyvm! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just downloaded the torrent, took me a few hours damn it.. and at the end got an integrity error.. so now i have to redownload! arghh. getting it from ^^ link at 1MB/s so all good..
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Torrent: <a href="http://devicenull.org/temp/ns2_setup.exe.torrent" target="_blank">http://devicenull.org/temp/ns2_setup.exe.torrent</a> or magnet:?xt=urn:btih:U4J4NYN5EPO7ZNZHR6CPFJ5ORSDT5X4Q
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    I got to play around with the refinery assets, very very cool. I had a question- The lighting and shadowing is SO GOOD with those props... will you guys have rotating spot lighting and that sort of thing? I have a little scene set up and it just looks fantastic, it would be really nice to see that kind of thing in game. Looks great, the atmospheric capability is beyond what I expected. Cool stuff, can't wait to see what people with mapping talent can do.
  • KerotanKerotan Join Date: 2005-04-17 Member: 48692Members, Constellation
    Having trouble starting the editor :(

Getting the error message:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->C:\Program Files\Natural Selection 2\Editor.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Tried reinstalling but no luck :(
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1739325:date=Nov 24 2009, 12:45 AM:name=Kerotan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kerotan @ Nov 24 2009, 12:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739325"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having trouble starting the editor :(

Getting the error message:

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->C:\Program Files\Natural Selection 2\Editor.exe

This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Tried reinstalling but no luck :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=108124" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=108124</a>
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I was mapping and I notice that the (Ctrl + z) was a little buggy :P

The walls started to have it's own life :D
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    edited November 2009
    hmm, download failed. This time I'll try the torrent (and will seed for a while)

edit: guys, use the torrent file, I'm downloading at 800 kB/s
  • MentarMentar Join Date: 2004-08-03 Member: 30321Members
    Do you think you could post the source file for a sample room? So we can see how you've done it. I get the basics of the editor but i'm not 100% on how you'd do more complex shapes with it.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Ohboyohboyohboy!
    I can hardly wait until I get back home
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    im gonna use torrent aswell and will seed afterwards ;)

thx for torrent and thx for the editor!! :)
  • DeeDee Canada Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10836Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Was playing around, building a wee room when Sparky locked up on me. I was browsing through the props using the 'small' size when BIP, no more Sparky. The autobackup works a treat though! Managed to find my map (What's with the 'roaming' subfolder though? Not exactly a standard outside of a corporate env.) Ah well, what I've been able to mess around with so far (props, textures, lighting) has been quite fun! I'll putter around a little more when I get a chance.

Can't believe you gents are creating full-out maps with this tool, that's fantastic!

My only question is whether anyone's found a way to tune or optimize the spatial controls? I find the middle and right mouse button controls quite cumbersome. Didn't help that Sparky somehow tossed my perspective view some 2 miles above my map and I had to scroll scroll scroll scroll my way back to it. :)
  • ObamanismObamanism Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69442Banned
    Charlie, any plans on releasing a version so Mac users may be able to use the tools should they elect to do so? Is it true or false that a significant amount of industry video games are made (at least in part) with Mac computers?
  • BreadManBreadMan Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10854Members, Retired Developer
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1739333:date=Nov 24 2009, 12:01 AM:name=Mentar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mentar @ Nov 24 2009, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739333"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you think you could post the source file for a sample room? So we can see how you've done it. I get the basics of the editor but i'm not 100% on how you'd do more complex shapes with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm gonna do some more tutorials covering different topics in depth like advanced geometry creation. Probably starting tomorrow, brain's a little worn out right now.

<!--quoteo(post=1739335:date=Nov 24 2009, 12:06 AM:name=Dee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dee @ Nov 24 2009, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My only question is whether anyone's found a way to tune or optimize the spatial controls? I find the middle and right mouse button controls quite cumbersome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No way to change sensitivity yet but it is on the request list.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Didn't help that Sparky somehow tossed my perspective view some 2 miles above my map and I had to scroll scroll scroll scroll my way back to it. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The best thing you can do to avoid this until it's fixed is only draw stuff in the 3d view, as stuff drawn in the 2D views ends up waaay on the edge of the map. However if you can spot it with your camera and select it, the "z" key will be your friend (works in all views, 2d and 3d).
  • StixNStonzStixNStonz Join Date: 2006-11-06 Member: 58439Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1739337:date=Nov 24 2009, 02:07 AM:name=Obamanism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obamanism @ Nov 24 2009, 02:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Charlie, any plans on releasing a version so Mac users may be able to use the tools should they elect to do so? Is it true or false that a significant amount of industry video games are made (at least in part) with Mac computers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can tell you my experience at two different companies so far. One company, we were all-Mac, and every one of us despised it, always talking about how we should accidentally toss them out the window to get PCs. At the second, it was all PC, and there were stories of Mac days but apparently they actually did undergo the mutinous PC takeover :P

Still though, I know of some developers, especially artists, who swear by macs.
  • FraxinusFraxinus Join Date: 2008-03-02 Member: 63783Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for the torrent devicenull, that was pretty fast. I'll seed at least until tomorrow when I wake up.

@stixnstonz I don't do any creative work on PCs :P

I do remember UWE saying they wanted to support mac and linux in the future after ns2 is released on pc as well (Can I get some confirmation on this?) .
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    is there any specific way to go for reporting bugs?
  • obsidobsid Join Date: 2003-09-16 Member: 20909Members
    Functionaly, what we got is the maping tool, a look into the core engine, a look at some of the textures and common props. So I will eventualy comment on each of these pieces. Let me start out with the mapping tool. As a whole it works well, I really like how easy it is to create rooms and extend existing rooms (that was always so much harder in something like hammer). The "Textured List", and "textured unlit" options are very hard to find if you didnt watch the tutorial (I woudl suggest adding these to a menu somewhere). Overall simple (which is good!) and fairly intiutive.

The core engine seems to be working well. I did have a bit of an error, where I had one room with a big bright light, and then a small hallway with no lights in it. Standing in the big room everything looked good. As I moved the camera into the hallway, the lights turned off. I suspect the occlusion algorithm needs to be fixed to keep more lights (or I am doing something wrong).

default wall texture. wonderful, nice and easy to see (incase you forget to texture something), and with good with seeing the dimentions and size of the texture too!

infestation material, great looks quite nice flows well.

refinery_floor_01, great material. But I dont think this needs to be a floor, looks cool on walls too!

refinery_floor_06 and refinery_floor_09, nice metal texture, looks real.

refinery_floor_08, could be good, has potential, but doesnt seem to have a good seam with itself (lots of uneven matches between the edges).

refinery_floor_13, very classic NS look/feel, nice to see it make a comeback, good texture. Hope to see more ns classics like thsi one.

refinery_floor_mesh_02 and refinery_floor_mesh_02, looks a bit too "clean".

refinery_floor_trim_03, very intresting texture, I like the bumps.

refinery_gravel_01, wow, wonderfull texture

refinery_mining_wall_01 I assume isnt done yet.

several of the stone textures look good, but I cant really single out one as better then the rest.

many of the trim textures look intresting, but hard to comment on as I am unsure how well they work with other textures yet.

I havent had a chance to go through all the props yet, I will come back and post my thoughts on those when I do.
  • SkydancerSkydancer Join Date: 2003-03-28 Member: 14959Members, Constellation
    Downloading right now! What about opening a mapping section on the forum?
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1739416:date=Nov 24 2009, 02:37 AM:name=Skydancer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skydancer @ Nov 24 2009, 02:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739416"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Downloading right now! What about opening a mapping section on the forum?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1 for map section with some of these pinned topics:
    * rules and guides "How to build quality maps!"
    * map files to download
    * screenshots
    * arts :)
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    Wow Thanx ! That is what we need to enjoy before the game.

Also torrent is faster than web link. Thank you.

Let me look how it works on 1600x1200 high spec. mode.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1739416:date=Nov 24 2009, 07:37 AM:name=Skydancer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skydancer @ Nov 24 2009, 07:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739416"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Downloading right now! What about opening a mapping section on the forum?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 Yess Maps Section Please !
  • Iced_EagleIced_Eagle Borg Engineer Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14218Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1739424:date=Nov 24 2009, 02:57 AM:name=yimmasabi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yimmasabi @ Nov 24 2009, 02:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739424"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 Yess Maps Section Please !<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 again :) It's better to get that out of the way sooner rather than later so the Gen Discussion can be kept on NS2 gameplay and such.
  • Dragoons MasterDragoons Master Join Date: 2009-11-23 Member: 69484Members
    Just finished downloading! TNX SO MUCH FOR THE TORRENT!!!
    Now let's see if my poor P4 can play it :D

PS: I'm the happiest person on earth right now.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    PARTYPARTYPARTYPARTY!

More constructive post coming at a later time.
  • TwiStErTwiStEr Join Date: 2008-11-10 Member: 65415Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2009
    Can somebody please post a MD5 and/or Sha512 value of the file? .. Downloading an exe file from a non trusted source ... :)
  • palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    Downloaded torrent at 2mbs and now seeding, will have a look when I get back from work =)
  • TwiStErTwiStEr Join Date: 2008-11-10 Member: 65415Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    oh and another paranoid post by me ... when I enter my key in the programm, is it gonna be transmitted via ssl?
  • MotigMotig Join Date: 2008-10-23 Member: 65281Members
    Good game, now I'll never finish my L4D map :p

Looking forward to playing with this later today!
  • DooGieDooGie Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34531Members, Constellation
    Damn! And I'm at work! omgffs!!!! I'll download it here anyway, so at lunch time I might have spare time to play around! ;D
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1739475:date=Nov 24 2009, 04:31 AM:name=DooGie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DooGie @ Nov 24 2009, 04:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739475"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damn! And I'm at work! omgffs!!!! I'll download it here anyway, so at lunch time I might have spare time to play around! ;D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Same here .. I've lunch time right now !!! The editor is almost perfect :)