motion-tracker

FenixTheFoxFenixTheFox Join Date: 2009-11-23 Member: 69475Members
edited November 2009 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">motion-tracking Device from Aliens Movie</div>Well here my idea i know some of you seen that old movie Aliens where Ellen Ripley was with a few marines and was trying to kill xenomporhs, it got me thinking if we had a motion-tracker like they have in the movie to track alien movement but doesn't tell you if there above you or below the map and the number decreasing as they get closer. Now when it detects them the blue dots move and every time you move your cross-hair left or right or from behind the motion tracker screen rotates like a compass (But without the north west south east you get the idea) and i mean the lines you see on the screen that rotates not the actual screen itself. and plus the waves you see on the corners of the screen at the top and left screen you cant barley see it but every time that wave moves up the screen the blue dots blinks fading in and out as that 2 waves (every 2 secs but 1 wave at a time) passing over the screen trying to find any sighs of enemy's when it dose you don't detect any enemy's when you turn away from the targets you just detect from that direction you faced at, but as you face back at the direction you was previously at you see them on your motion tracker screen.

Here's the picture

<a href="http://www.screamingmonkeys.com/Aliens/tracker04.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.screamingmonkeys.com/Aliens/tracker04.jpg</a>

And for those who don't know what aliens is this is the link about it.

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_%28film%29" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_%28film%29</a>

I think Aliens (the movie) has some great ideas if you pull them out of that movie.

Let me know if this Alien movie motion Tracker is great i mean it doesn't look vary useless, Just tells you they are coming at your direction and how many aliens
there are.

Comments

• ryknow69ryknow69 Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63952Members
    I promised to shoot myself at the next 'Aliens' referenced idea *pulls out gun* good bye you, *shoots gun and kills FenixTheFox* and bye me *shoots himself*

Lets see what they have already for MT....
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    I certainly hope it's not as ridiculously imbalanced as it was in NS1.
  • TerrTerr Arthritic Skulk Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7486Members
    In NS1 it pretty much forced you to go to higher-level aliens. It was hard bein' a skulk, you had to set ambushes wayyyy ahead of time.
  • FenixTheFoxFenixTheFox Join Date: 2009-11-23 Member: 69475Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1739053:date=Nov 23 2009, 12:12 PM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Nov 23 2009, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I certainly hope it's not as ridiculously imbalanced as it was in NS1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It shouldn't be much of a problem having this motion tracker it just detects movement of the aliens coming closer and the number of enemy's but only have the motion track detect aliens not marines but that motion tracker screen is like small enough to be mounted on a weapon rather than holding a portable one. if the number hits 0 you be thinking if there above or below. but i think its a great idea for marines. They can get a motion tracker on a weapon as a upgrade so they wont get it until they can get upgrades to get it. if you don't want that upgrade you don't have to grab it, but as i sad before i think its a good idea it shouldn't be to much to ask for it to be added. if you watched the aliens movie you will see how that motion tracker works. and besides, the maps are rather huge and you don't what lies around the corner waiting to attack.
  • FenixTheFoxFenixTheFox Join Date: 2009-11-23 Member: 69475Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1739066:date=Nov 23 2009, 02:28 PM:name=Terr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Terr @ Nov 23 2009, 02:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739066"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In NS1 it pretty much forced you to go to higher-level aliens. It was hard bein' a skulk, you had to set ambushes wayyyy ahead of time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well terr it shouldn't be unfair for the alien team. the marines can still die as all ways even with a motion tracker they will just know theirs aliens at the direction they are going too. The Motion tracker can only detect enemy's if you face at the alien but the motion can't detect from behind so people has to watch his back with his motion tracker to cover the rear. And plus the Motion Tracker beeps when it sees targets but if the area is clear the beep stops. it will just make pulse sounds almost like a heart beat but a machine pulse sound.
  • KookeeKookee Join Date: 2009-08-21 Member: 68560Members
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1739379:date=Nov 24 2009, 01:14 AM:name=FenixTheFox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FenixTheFox @ Nov 24 2009, 01:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well terr it shouldn't be unfair for the alien team. the marines can still die as all ways even with a motion tracker they will just know theirs aliens at the direction they are going too. The Motion tracker can only detect enemy's if you face at the alien but the motion can't detect from behind so people has to watch his back with his motion tracker to cover the rear. And plus the Motion Tracker beeps when it sees targets but if the area is clear the beep stops. it will just make pulse sounds almost like a heart beat but a machine pulse sound.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sry to reference 'Aliens' in the thread again

but Fenix, you fail to notice in the movie that the motion sensor they used was omnidirectional, as it "couldn't" detect an isolated signal, the 'radar' image 'spun' around, showing movement in all directions.

[edit]
    and the useage for this type of MT was used in the AVP games. btw.
    Ow, the grammar.

Anyway, another interesting implementation is how they did it in the Neotokyo mod with pixel shaders. Basically it can't see through walls, but there's a dedicated "vision mode" that highlights the bodies of moving friendlies and enemies. Ambushes would still be very practical, but it would be an effective counter to aliens who are moving while cloaked.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1739892:date=Nov 24 2009, 08:10 PM:name=Terr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Terr @ Nov 24 2009, 08:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739892"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ow, the grammar.

Anyway, another interesting implementation is how they did it in the Neotokyo mod with pixel shaders. Basically it can't see through walls, but there's a dedicated "vision mode" that highlights the bodies of moving friendlies and enemies. Ambushes would still be very practical, but it would be an effective counter to aliens who are moving while cloaked.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for ruining my idea for a thread, Terr.

This was earliest used in Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. Neotokyo mimicked it. The way it worked was that while in Motion Tracking mode, all 'normal' vision was in a low-contrast yellow effect making it possible to see where you were going, but difficult to make out exact details. However, anything moving (that wasn't your teammate) to include thrown objects would grow a box around it and be displayed in high-contrast black and white making it really freaking obvious exactly what was moving where.

I wasn't going to say it was from SC:PT but since Terr already suggested STEALING LIKE A THIEF I figure I'd just say outright where I'm getting the idea from. And it worked great. I'll still make a thread on this though. This game needs VISION MODES HELL YES.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1739043:date=Nov 23 2009, 02:20 PM:name=ryknow69)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ryknow69 @ Nov 23 2009, 02:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1739043"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I promised to shoot myself at the next 'Aliens' referenced idea *pulls out gun* good bye you, *shoots gun and kills FenixTheFox* and bye me *shoots himself*

Lets see what they have already for MT....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah

pew pew at OP
    edited November 2009
    Temphage: The difference between mentioning Neotokyo vs. SCPT (I remember it from SCCT) is that you can find Youtube videos of one of them. Video, of course, being worth some >=3 order-of-magnitude number of words.

Motion tracking shader in NT: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCmOgujXQYU" target="_blank">Video</a>.