Natural Selection 2 News Update - Organic Indie Preorder Pack

Comments

• locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    I hope this gets some press. I had been mulling over overgrowth in my mind, but now I know I don't have to. :-D
  • SparkTRSparkTR Join Date: 2007-02-09 Member: 59913Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    This is pretty awesome. Not only have I found a sweet new game to look forward to, but I officially own it as well! Thanks to both Unknown Worlds and Wolfire Games!
  • Ltp0werLtp0wer Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69926Members
    Add me to the list of people from the Wolfire community.
    I'm pretty stoked about this deal. I played NS1 a little bit a few years ago, and I knew you guys were working on NS2. I kept hearing about how cool your new engine is on the few Half Life 2 mapping communities I visit.

Glad to be apart of the action.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Good job! Nice news for change :>
  • MetroMetro Join Date: 2007-09-15 Member: 62316Members
    Thanks a lot to UWE and Wolfire! I got a free game :D
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1745988:date=Jan 6 2010, 03:53 PM:name=SgtPrinny)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtPrinny @ Jan 6 2010, 03:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1745988"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This news post went from an awesome(free overgrowth for people who pre-ordered the special edition) post to a super special awesome chocolatey suger-coated funtime post(alpha coming soon)

keep up the great work everyone!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think i missed that one, where did they mention the alpha coming soon?
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1746072:date=Jan 7 2010, 07:33 AM:name=blackpiranha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (blackpiranha @ Jan 7 2010, 07:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think i missed that one, where did they mention the alpha coming soon?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Read the front-page more closely. It's there.
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What makes this bundle so awesome is that essentially all the sales (~98%) will directly support our game development.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wait. What? Does that mean 98% of the money goes to UWE and only 2% to Wolfire games? Wow... nice deal guys! ;P

That basically means Wolfire gives us ns-preorderers Overgrowth for free in return to a popularity gain... Which isnt bad for them I guess :)

I had a bad dream last night where 50% of the money UWE already got from the preorderers went to Wolfire games.... - guess thats not the case after all ;)

I dont like ninja games but I'll give this a shot - even if it doesnt grafically look as good as ns2.. ;)

edit:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This means that 100% of all sales go directly to supporting our game development.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

sooo... I guess you are sharing the 198% then :D
  • La ChupacabraLa Chupacabra Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63729Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1746084:date=Jan 7 2010, 01:18 PM:name=TheLord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheLord @ Jan 7 2010, 01:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746084"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait. What? Does that mean 98% of the money goes to UWE and only 2% to Wolfire games? Wow... nice deal guys! ;P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I might be wrong but I think that by "our game development" they meant both UWE and WG, where the money from the bundle is split half-half. The 2% they refer to is probably the cost of whatever service provider they use (using someones website/tech for getting orders, taking money of your credit cards, bank transfers and such). Or maybe they plan to get pissed for that 2%, who knows?
  • Sinnister81Sinnister81 Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10308Members
    edited January 2010
    I dont think you shouldve mixed up with these guys. NS2 has potential to be a really top notch game and these guys game is really noobish and it makes the NS team seem even more small change. I could understand if they had a really good game coming out, but from the looks of LUgaru (I didnt enjoy it) I dont think Overgrowth is gonna be good. I think you are sacrificing profits to them they are gonna get half of your money and you are the ones who are gonna get most of teh preorders not them because their game sux. End this deal now! Im sure they are great guys but I paid 40$ because I wanted that money to go to the NS makers for giving me so much enjoyment from NS1 not bc I wanted the alpha (a bonus). I dont want half of my money going to those other guys. End this deal!

Edit L I just saw that 98% of profits will go to unknowworlds. I guess thats okay with me.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1746084:date=Jan 7 2010, 09:18 AM:name=TheLord)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheLord @ Jan 7 2010, 09:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746084"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait. What? Does that mean 98% of the money goes to UWE and only 2% to Wolfire games? Wow... nice deal guys! ;P

That basically means Wolfire gives us ns-preorderers Overgrowth for free in return to a popularity gain... Which isnt bad for them I guess :)

I had a bad dream last night where 50% of the money UWE already got from the preorderers went to Wolfire games.... - guess thats not the case after all ;)

I dont like ninja games but I'll give this a shot - even if it doesnt grafically look as good as ns2.. ;)

edit:

sooo... I guess you are sharing the 198% then :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Comprehension fail.
    at least its an ironic fail :P
  • borgkingborgking Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69504Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1746095:date=Jan 7 2010, 04:19 PM:name=Sinnister81)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sinnister81 @ Jan 7 2010, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont think you shouldve mixed up with these guys. NS2 has potential to be a really top notch game and these guys game is really noobish and it makes the NS team seem even more small change. I could understand if they had a really good game coming out, but from the looks of LUgaru (I didnt enjoy it) I dont think Overgrowth is gonna be good. I think you are sacrificing profits to them they are gonna get half of your money and you are the ones who are gonna get most of teh preorders not them because their game sux. End this deal now! Im sure they are great guys but I paid 40$ because I wanted that money to go to the NS makers for giving me so much enjoyment from NS1 not bc I wanted the alpha (a bonus). I dont want half of my money going to those other guys. End this deal!

Edit L I just saw that 98% of profits will go to unknowworlds. I guess thats okay with me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh boy, only becaus you didn't like a game, you want this great deal to be cancled?
    Also I think the money of all people already preordered the game before as all money for NS2 outside of the deal, are still going and staying at UWE. I think only the stuff from the deal given 50/50 to UWE/Wolfire. Also i think both parties will profit from this deal since both are on a very low budget, have awesome looking grafics and bring each other new following people.
    About the 98%: I think these are going 50/50 to UWE/Wolfire either and the 2% are fees from money transfere services as paypal, or any similar institute...
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    Well, after playing around with Overgrowth's alpha SDK and watching a ton of videos Im really impressed with their work, almost to the point I feel ashamed that I didnt really pay any attention to them before.

Im really exited about both games. But Overgrowth's huge enviorenments, draw distances and semaless transition between low res to high res detail textures is incredible, not to mention that all level shadows are in real time, so you can have day night cicles and everything cast shadows.
    Looks like I got two great games to look forward to this year!

Also, to the people that thinks that 98% of the winnings goes only to UWE, are you serious?
    Not really :p - but I first understood it that way... and it isnt too far off if you look at the <b>huge</b> popularity gain Wolfire gets with this promotion - popularity = future money.
  • SqueeboSqueebo Join Date: 2008-02-04 Member: 63580Members
    Dude, that is... AWESOME! Yes!
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1746073:date=Jan 7 2010, 12:39 PM:name=Triggerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Triggerman @ Jan 7 2010, 12:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746073"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Read the front-page more closely. It's there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Am I the only one who read that 'alpha coming soon' statement just as a reminder?
    Didn't look like news to me.

Anyway I probably won't play Overgrowth, but free game so yay thanks. :P
  • Bl4ckH4wkBl4ckH4wk Join Date: 2009-07-21 Member: 68216Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Shortly(Soon?) - In six months, according to valve time.
  • DaxxDaxx Join Date: 2002-04-16 Member: 460Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1746117:date=Jan 7 2010, 01:01 PM:name=Bl4ckH4wk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bl4ckH4wk @ Jan 7 2010, 01:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746117"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shortly(Soon?) - In six months, according to valve time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey, as long as it's not in HL2 EP3 time units it's ok :P.
  • HaleHale Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69949Members
    Just got off the train from the Wolfire Community. Thanks to the devs and all for this sort of opportunity. I hadn't heard much of Natural Selection 2 before this whole deal went down. Regardless, I will probably keep my attention on Overgrowth but I will definitely try to support you guys as well.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Nice to see both games helping each other out. anything that increases awareness for the games is a good thing.

Although I wonder how much this would drive sales up. I think that actually, people who already own one of the 2 games would just get an extra game free, and it wouldn't really attract anybody who isnt already interested.
  • ratclawratclaw Join Date: 2008-06-12 Member: 64433Members
    Hmmm, I haven't heard of overgrowth before, but I may have seen it somewhere before...

Ugh, I bought so many games in the past few months. I'm cool with free games (its like Christmas hasn't ended yet) but I need to finish Serious Sam HD first...
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1746095:date=Jan 7 2010, 04:19 PM:name=Sinnister81)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sinnister81 @ Jan 7 2010, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont think you shouldve mixed up with these guys. NS2 has potential to be a really top notch game and these guys game is really noobish and it makes the NS team seem even more small change. I could understand if they had a really good game coming out, but from the looks of LUgaru (I didnt enjoy it) I dont think Overgrowth is gonna be good. I think you are sacrificing profits to them they are gonna get half of your money and you are the ones who are gonna get most of teh preorders not them because their game sux. End this deal now! Im sure they are great guys but I paid 40$ because I wanted that money to go to the NS makers for giving me so much enjoyment from NS1 not bc I wanted the alpha (a bonus). I dont want half of my money going to those other guys. End this deal!

Edit L I just saw that 98% of profits will go to unknowworlds. I guess thats okay with me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seriously: W T F?

Somebody just told you that you get a free game, your first reaction? Find a reason to complain about it!!!
    What's wrong with people like you? Please get out of the NS2 community it's too awesome for somebody like you...

And thanks to UWE and Wolfire for this awesome late christmas gift!
  • NexxenNexxen Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69956Members
    @Flayra - Most of the guys I know are waiting on confirmation that NS2 will be on Steam before they preorder. You said they are likely waiting for a good beta release.

I know with 100% certainty you will get a bucket load of more preorders once NS2 is on Steam. Guaranteed.

Any chance you will offer this deal again after confirmation of ability to transfer to Steam?
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1746124:date=Jan 7 2010, 03:19 PM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Jan 7 2010, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746124"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice to see both games helping each other out. anything that increases awareness for the games is a good thing.

Although I wonder how much this would drive sales up. I think that actually, people who already own one of the 2 games would just get an extra game free, and it wouldn't really attract anybody who isnt already interested.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think you answered your own question already. If I've already bought NS2 (which I have) and I like overgrowth, when it comes out, I'll probably recommend that game to my friends as well (and the other way around, for those who preordered overgrowth and enjoy NS2). What is essentially a free game for us preorderers is extra word-of-mouth advertising for them.

Basically they each get a lot of extra exposure for their games, and all they lose is a portion of their profits for as long as the deal goes. (about a week). Throwing money at advertising would do pretty much the same thing, but this sort of thing makes your core customer base very happy while conventional advertising methods do not.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Available on the interwebs near me! YAY!
    Now i just gotta find that interwebs, i know i had it somewhere around here :S
  • DarkJeeDarkJee Join Date: 2010-01-06 Member: 69893Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1746095:date=Jan 7 2010, 03:19 PM:name=Sinnister81)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sinnister81 @ Jan 7 2010, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1746095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dont think you shouldve mixed up with these guys. NS2 has potential to be a really top notch game and these guys game is really noobish and it makes the NS team seem even more small change. I could understand if they had a really good game coming out, but from the looks of LUgaru (I didnt enjoy it) I dont think Overgrowth is gonna be good. I think you are sacrificing profits to them they are gonna get half of your money and you are the ones who are gonna get most of teh preorders not them because their game sux. End this deal now! Im sure they are great guys but I paid 40$ because I wanted that money to go to the NS makers for giving me so much enjoyment from NS1 not bc I wanted the alpha (a bonus). I dont want half of my money going to those other guys. End this deal!

Wait what.. o.0 I'm sorry but why do you think Overgrowth is a noobish game ?? you know that guys from Wolfire voyaged around the world for many conferences because of their work? they got invited to a closed Sony meeting, been to Nvidia, Havok and AMD HQ, been to France, been invited to many many video game conferences, etc, and I'm forgeting a lot...

I think Overgrowth as many potential as NS2 or more because it is a new genre, a experimental game, and they made everything from zero. NS was first a HL mod. You can't just say Overogrwth is noobish and doesnt have potential just because you didnt enjoyed the principe of the game

ps: No, you misunderstood the 98% thing, they are sharing the profits.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Don't feed the troll guys.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    There's nothing wrong with their campaign here, both gain popularity and I'm sure that UWE and Wolfire have some kind of friendship by now that makes them want to do this anyway. Better to have friendship than rivalry, especially if they're working not too far away from each other.
    The future boom in sales is going to happen when it comes out on Steam, which I really hope it will at some point. Right now they're making a sweet deal to help increase their image and get the talk going so they have some good reputation behind them to ground their release on. Oh and they're just being plain nice, that doesn't happen too often in the industry nowadays.
  • ShinobiRAGEShinobiRAGE Join Date: 2009-08-09 Member: 68401Members
    Alright now I two copies of both games!!!!!!