Gun Scopes / Point of Veiw

EnjoyEnjoy Join Date: 2009-11-23 Member: 69487Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Just a thought</div>I looked around a little bit but i'm not goin to spend 5 hours looking over the forums, but I had an idea as to implement the use of scopes and aiming point of veiw like Call of Duty games have, I think it makes things feel 100% more real. I mean come on there well trained Marines... not some hip firing no aiming illegitimate taliban rebals.

If this has been brought up then I apologize, if not tell me what you think. I know the game is far into production and it would probly take more time for the alpha to be relesed but I really think the game needs these features, and I am willing to wait for a later release if this is possable. Thanks!

Comments

• JirodyneJirodyne Join Date: 2010-01-12 Member: 70095Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1747229:date=Jan 13 2010, 09:19 PM:name=Enjoy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enjoy @ Jan 13 2010, 09:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I looked around a little bit but i'm not goin to spend 5 hours looking over the forums, but I had an idea as to implement the use of scopes and aiming point of veiw like Call of Duty games have, I think it makes things feel 100% more real. I mean come on there well trained Marines... not some hip firing no aiming illegitimate taliban rebals.

If this has been brought up then I apologize, if not tell me what you think. I know the game is far into production and it would probly take more time for the alpha to be relesed but I really think the game needs these features, and I am willing to wait for a later release if this is possable. Thanks!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is not a good idea, to me atleast, for a few different reason. The big one for me is, I want NS2 weapons to be like NS1, Where I could just download custom models for the weapons and such. If they added removable scopes, then there would be a limit on what models could fit what guns, cause some models would look stupid with a scope on it! But thats just my opinion. Also, i believe the main rifle, atleast for the first NS game, had a scope on it.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    I don't blame you since the search function sucks nowadays but there was a previous thread concerning aim down the sights some time ago. There were a lot of supporters and just as many haters. If I have the time, I'll go try and dig it up.
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    I assume you mean "iron sights," and I think it was mostly rejected, this is not call of duty and we don't want it to become call of duty etc etc. Also as far as "immersion" is concerned, the marines have sighting/targeting technology in those fancy helmets of theirs, so bam.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    Yes, iron sights shift focus to aiming and slow down gameplay, considering what you're aiming at is not going to be for the most part stationary, it will have a severe impact on gameplay and just generally does not fit within NS gameplay. If it's a matter of immersion-breaking, I'd say ironsights break immersion more than repair it for the reasons mentioned in the above post.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    I would rather have iron sights and scopes, and weapon attachments, then hip shooting with some cheap equivalent to a cross drawn in the center of my monitor. Reasons are as follows:

1. It is extremely cheap to implement, (did i mention it's cheap ?), to just have that aiming system which is used in counter strike and NS1.

2. Having a cross, or equivalent sight, drawn on the center of your monitor is not visually impressive... It LOOKS cheap (looks like ######... very very arcadish)... developers will look noobish and lazy... This sighting system is out-dated all the way back to rainbow six / rogue spear when games didn't even have onscreen guns!!! (and definitely older then that)... Probably was used in the first military flight simulators which makes it older then the first actual video games!

3. It won't look "gritty"... which i thought was a visual-design goal? Iron sights / aimpoints / holographic sights / lasers.. THAT is what i expected. (recalling way back when... the devs discussed attachments... grenade launcher attachments... aiming attachments... and this drawing of an assault rifle that could be customized with these attachments...).

4. NS1 was limited due to the engine... And yet people want NS2 to look just as limited... a down right carbon copy. If i remember correctly the NS1 lmg has a SCOPE... and the loading screen for NS1 featured a marine holding a pistol with a laser attachment... I think that permits us to justifiably have usable weapon attachments in the NS universe (they were there in concept-form from day 1) while also now having an engine that for the first time is capable of supporting them. That is how you claim your game has evolved... How to create an amazing sequel by implementing the dream features which were impossible in NS1. And where is my dropship + APC! Don't tell me we have to walk around like in NS1... gah i want HMG + jetpants / heavy from the start! This is WAR... not exploitative first contact!!!! :D

5. Spray and pray until your crosshair blooms to big.... Then wait for it to shrink back... Repeat as necessary. Do we still have sniper pistols in NS2? :P
    edited January 2010
    1) I don't see how you think it looks "cheap" or if it costing less money is a bad thing? Actually I have little idea what you're saying here. Its like your chastising the devs for not doing extra unneeded work.

2) Whether its "outdated" or not is up for debate. Games evolved in that direction, just like we still use keyboards and mouses. Or do you think everyone should have a gameglove or...something "high tech!!!!" Also what I'm getting from this is that you're saying the only good FPS games out are the ones that use iron-sights....Do you even play any other FPS games other than CoD? Is that the god of all games? I think you're in the minority. Theres plenty of major FPS games out (and still coming out) that use a traditional cross hair-targeting system.

3) Honestly I don't see how having a hightech helmet on which targets the aliens with a cross hair or tells you where your gun is aiming is bad visual (or immersive) design. Its not just in games. Quick example would be the world of Shadowrun and their "smartlinks" which are described as giving the user a crosshair depending on where their gun is pointed. In any event, I see this as fitting perfectly in with our game and "immersion"

4) You think NS didn't use ironsigns because of the HL1 engine? How many HL1 mods have you played? For example: Hostile Intent? Used iron sights. Plenty of HL1 mods had scopes usable as well, so that too obviously wasn't an issue of the "engine." I also can't quite understand if you're serious when you say that you want to start out with "end-game" equipment and the like, or if you're just being sarcastic for a reason which doesn't relate to your post. If so, then you lost me.

5) I don't understand this. Are you somehow trying to say that using crosshairs automatically makes things easier? Just because it doesn't slow gameplay down doesn't mean there isn't a high skill ceiling. Or maybe you just know some godly way of aiming that we don't?...The way you described doesn't seem to make any sense.

Obviously the game setting of NS is not the most realistic. And making a game uber realistic does not necessarily = good game.
  • TeisuTeisu Join Date: 2010-01-20 Member: 70236Members
    Personally i embrace the idea of customization of weaponry.

Scopes would sooner be a disadvantage then helpful since Kharaa tend to be fast! and you as a trained marine have no time to use your well trained sniping skills.

Research-able upgrades:

Laser sights
    Sheer beam of blue-ish awesomeness, shows you where your bullets will land more or less.

Pro : You have a awesome laser sight and you can see where your bullets will impact. Bullet spread is reduced
    Con: Kharaa can see where you are aiming and may take the next turn to ambush you.

Grenade attachment
    Once researched the marine can pick this up at the Armory granting him/her 2-5 grenades.

Pro: No more weapon switching, Launches a grenade that causes medium impact damage 25-45 and exploding 1 second after making impact on either a player, prop or surface
    Con: Replaces hand grenades, Slower reloading time.

Shotgun Attachment
    Once researched the marine can pick this up at the Armory granting him/her 25-36 12 gauge shotgun shells.

Pro: No more weapon switching, Can hit multiple targets.
    Con: Shotgun attachment is medium ranged.

Bayonet Attachment
    Once researched the marine can pick this up at the Armory granting him/her a nasty looking serrated blade on the end of the gun

Pro: Powerful slow close-combat stab ability 75-85 damage to finish off already wounded kharaa.
    Con: Damage is high on the "lesser" species the "greater" species have too much vitality to start a man to kharaa cage fight.

The player can only have 1 upgrade as such attached to his weapon to his or her own choice so its either shotgun or grenade launcher or bayonet. Using this weapon system marines can customize their weapon to fit their own preferences. Although the machine-gun/shotgun combination sounds powerful i am certain their is a good way to balance these configurations.

The laser sight can be combined with advanced motion tracking by highlighting the target when aimed at. By outlining the enemy in a color that can easily be seen in the dark. this effect would only occur when actually aiming at the target if the marines looses LOS the target will remain painted for 1 or 2 seconds and will fade into darkness. turning it invisible once again.

For a shotgun a grenade and bayonet attachment would make sense aswel.
    As for the grenade launcher (never liked it tbh) perhaps special grenades could be upgrades. Like incendiary white phosphor grenades or shrapnel.

These would be my suggestions. and i believe adding these possibilities would grant the player to choose between the options the commander has made available to them. The commander still has control but so does the player.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    Scopes are useless in a close quarter battle, urban and close quarter combat training involve training marines are trained to fire instinctively. everywhere their head moves, their weapon points so there is minimal alignment when a target pops up. If anything reflex red dots would be used, however the trend in games these days is to slow looking speed when looking over the sights, something you dont want to do when your targets are fast moving. If you claim its not realistic to shoot from the hip, then you should be looking over your sights the whole time because i guarantee in close quarter environments you're walking around with the weapon in your shoulder, looking down the sights ALL the time. Just think of the crosshair as a laser pointer operating on a frequency that aliens cant see, like IR or something and its magically zeroed to every distance you shoot at
  • TeisuTeisu Join Date: 2010-01-20 Member: 70236Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1748171:date=Jan 20 2010, 11:46 AM:name=Loey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Loey @ Jan 20 2010, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748171"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Scopes are useless in a close quarter battle, urban and close quarter combat training involve training marines are trained to fire instinctively. everywhere their head moves, their weapon points so there is minimal alignment when a target pops up. If anything reflex red dots would be used, however the trend in games these days is to slow looking speed when looking over the sights, something you dont want to do when your targets are fast moving. If you claim its not realistic to shoot from the hip, then you should be looking over your sights the whole time because i guarantee in close quarter environments you're walking around with the weapon in your shoulder, looking down the sights ALL the time. Just think of the crosshair as a laser pointer operating on a frequency that aliens cant see, like IR or something and its magically zeroed to every distance you shoot at<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The crosshair only shows 2 Dimensions the X and the Y value of where you are aiming at. A laser sight would add the Third dimension of Depth Z. But i hear what you are saying :)
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1747229:date=Jan 14 2010, 04:19 AM:name=Enjoy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enjoy @ Jan 14 2010, 04:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I looked around a little bit but i'm not goin to spend 5 hours looking over the forums, but I had an idea as to implement the use of scopes and aiming point of veiw like Call of Duty games have, I think it makes things feel 100% more real. I mean come on there well trained Marines... not some hip firing no aiming illegitimate taliban rebals.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Their arms aint armor for nothing, its an automated aim support and the crosshair is a simple visualization.
    I've seen a game presentation once where you could move the weapon indepently from the view, but our current controllers cant be used for that.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If this has been brought up then I apologize, if not tell me what you think. I know the game is far into production and it would probly take more time for the alpha to be relesed but I really think the game needs these features, and I am willing to wait for a later release if this is possable. Thanks!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I too would like to see a mix and match system, like they used in Star Wars: Republic Commando -

Longer barrel - less spread, less firerate
    tuning loading mechanics - more or less firerate, antiproportional spread
    magazine size - more ammo, heigher weight (more sluggish movement, less runspeed, more stamina usage for running)
    laser sights - removes crosshair, teammates and enemys alike see your point of aim

I would like to see a move from view models to actual ingame representation as well, there's no point in rendering another weapon when you have propper reload animations after all.
  • GlassesGlasses Join Date: 2010-01-11 Member: 70056Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Oh god! No more Iron-sights, please!
    I hate pressing Mouse2 and shoot, and what's the point using Iron-sights in close quarter? I would understand if NS2 is set on large scale environment.
    <!--quoteo(post=1748611:date=Jan 22 2010, 02:05 PM:name=Glasses)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Glasses @ Jan 22 2010, 02:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh god! No more Iron-sights, please!
    I hate pressing Mouse2 and shoot, and what's the point using Iron-sights in close quarter? I would understand if NS2 is set on large scale environment.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your reasons make sense in NS1. For NS2 the devs said they wanted to do away with winding halls and instead focus on large connected rooms. So less extremely close quarter hip-shooting situations is what i gather from this design decision.

Scopes, and other attachments, add an immersion factor to the game. They are also becoming very common now in modern games. A non-zooming reflex sight would be more interesting then the way NS1 did it. Since this is the future then it would be cool if marines had a scope that could go from reflex sight mode all the way up to magnified zoom mode...While also rewarding the user with better weapon accuracy then what is available with basic hip shooting.

I would suggest the way CRYSIS does the attachment system. It's simple... you have all the attachments and you just select what you want in game. This way if you just want to go hip shooting like rambo (i.e. the NS1 way) then you can do that. Otherwise if you care about using less ammunition while getting more kills, then you will learn to use the offered optics.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    Best of luck tracking a leaping skulk, flying lerk, or blinking fade while scoped in.
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1747229:date=Jan 14 2010, 03:19 AM:name=Enjoy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enjoy @ Jan 14 2010, 03:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1747229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->... not some hip firing no aiming illegitimate taliban rebals.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm pretty sure the taliban are classified as freedom fighters. you know since they're fighting a foreign occupational force and all..
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    While I personally don't see much use in scopes and aim down the sights, I don't think it would have any harm for the developers to add it in if they have the time. The thing about it is that nobody is forced to use it. So those that want to use it, for the cost of decreased mobility but increased accuracy, can just use it. And those that want the mobility, can dont aim down the sights.

Of course, I don't support recoil and spreadfire in NS, the way it is done in games like CS and hope that the spreadfire and recoil remain the same as in NS1. But that aiming down the sight gives a small boost to that.
    <!--quoteo(post=1749030:date=Jan 24 2010, 09:38 PM:name=tjosan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tjosan @ Jan 24 2010, 09:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm pretty sure the taliban are classified as freedom fighters. you know since they're fighting a foreign occupational force and all..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are you being facetious? They're not freedom fighters, they're terrorists under a terrorist regime.

<!--quoteo(post=1749036:date=Jan 24 2010, 11:50 PM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Jan 24 2010, 11:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While I personally don't see much use in scopes and aim down the sights, I don't think it would have any harm for the developers to add it in if they have the time. The thing about it is that nobody is forced to use it. So those that want to use it, for the cost of decreased mobility but increased accuracy, can just use it. And those that want the mobility, can dont aim down the sights.

Of course, I don't support recoil and spreadfire in NS, the way it is done in games like CS and hope that the spreadfire and recoil remain the same as in NS1. But that aiming down the sight gives a small boost to that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You are aiming down the sight - the reticule. To include a silly feature that has no place in the game simply for minority audience who doesn't understand what NS is about is well, silly. As silly as so-called milsim games that include a reticule for those too lazy to sight-up.

I guess what I'm trying to say is...
    <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->This is a game where the primary alien class plays from a view INSIDE OF its own mouth, do you not realize how silly this entire argument is!?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    /endthread
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you being facetious? They're not freedom fighters, they're terrorists under a terrorist regime.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's as usefull as argueing why deep water is blue.
    <!--quoteo(post=1748724:date=Jan 23 2010, 05:12 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jan 23 2010, 05:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They are also becoming very common now in modern games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you DO realize what you're saying here right?
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    edited January 2010
    Hay skulk stand still while i take my time to line my eye with my rifle plox

BTW i'm liking the idea of a viewpoint from your eyes with a holographic hud, including body performance as health system/heart rate as a way of seeing if your detectable by scent of fear or not etc but with a feel that its actually what the marines seeing if any of yous get what i mean considering they have helmets with some sort of interface before the marines eyes that you see in concept art

Im so sick of everyone reffering to call of duty and modern warfare 1 and 2 or the entire series in fact.....

MODERN. WARFARE. last i heard modern warfare didnt consist of aliens ambushing you from ceilings.
  • DinoDeloDinoDelo Join Date: 2010-01-18 Member: 70213Members
    Iron sights are cool but not here
    ig. OFP or ARMA2 would suck w/o ironsights
    NS doesnt rly need it it would slow down the gameplay.
    tho could be a nice option but i would rather see "bash" as Attack2 than zoom in ;)
    maybe add one or 2 wepons that can "zoom" (the way you can zoom in l4d2 with few guns no iron sights nothing just changing fov i assume not sure about that )
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1749041:date=Jan 25 2010, 06:18 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Jan 25 2010, 06:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you being facetious? They're not freedom fighters, they're terrorists under a terrorist regime.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well they might be asses, and be even worse about what they do.. but, at least according to international law, as soon as they started fighting american occupational troops in their own country they *poof* became freedom fighters and their cause just. Good job!
    <!--quoteo(post=1749196:date=Jan 25 2010, 11:33 PM:name=tjosan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tjosan @ Jan 25 2010, 11:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well they might be asses, and be even worse about what they do.. but, at least according to international law, as soon as they started fighting american occupational troops in their own country they *poof* became freedom fighters and their cause just. Good job!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    again I can't tell if you're being facetious...
    Firstly, they are not fighting for freedom, secondly there is no international law stating what you said, and thirdly even if there were it doesn't "poof" make it just.
    <!--quoteo(post=1749196:date=Jan 26 2010, 03:33 PM:name=tjosan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tjosan @ Jan 26 2010, 03:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well they might be asses, and be even worse about what they do.. but, at least according to international law, as soon as they started fighting american occupational troops in their own country they *poof* became freedom fighters and their cause just. Good job!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    freedom fighters dont oppress their own people, beat their women, and kill their own countrymen in the crossfire. they arent fighting for the freedom of their people, they're fighting so they can stay in charge and continue their oppressive regime.
    edited January 2010
    <!--QuoteBegin-A letter from William Pitt to the House of Lords on November 18th+ 1777, entitled 'An English Plea For Peace With The American Colonies'--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A letter from William Pitt to the House of Lords on November 18th @ 1777, entitled 'An English Plea For Peace With The American Colonies')</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->"My Lords, this ruinous and ignominious situation, where
    we cannot act with success, nor suffer with honour, calls upon us to remonstrate in the strongest and loudest language of truth, to rescue the ear of Majesty from the delusions
    which surround it. You cannot, I venture to say, you
    CANNOT conquer America.

" You ask, what is your present situation there? We do not know the worst; but we know that in three campaigns we have done nothing and suffered much. You may swell every expense, and strain every effort, still more extravagantly; accumulate every assistance you can beg or borrow; traffic and barter with every pitiful German Prince, that sells and sends his
    subjects to the shambles of a foreign country: your efforts
    are forever vain and impotent-doubly so from this mercenary
    aid on which you rely; for it irritates to an incurable resentment the minds of your enemies, to overrun them with the sordid sons of rapine and of plunder, devoting them and their possessions to the rapacity of hireling cruelty! If I were an American, as I am an Englishman, while a foreign troop was landed in my country, I never would lay down my arms! -
    Never! Never! Never! "<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    once again refer to my post. oppressive regime fighting so they can continue to oppress their people.
  • BigTextBigText Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63231Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1748724:date=Jan 23 2010, 02:12 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jan 23 2010, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1748724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->HEY I LOVE MW2 SO COULD YOU PUT MW2 STUFF IN MY NS2 SO I CAN KEEP PLAYING MW2 WHILE I PLAY NS2?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is your entire argument, and the argument of every single other person asking for iron sights. You want MW2 iron sights? Go play MW2. You want fast, asymmetrical gameplay involving you to keep running and jumping to kill aliens trying to rip you in two? Play NS/NS2.

I get it. You like MW2. You see the positives in its gameplay and think that they could apply to and help NS2. The simple fact of the matter is: you're wrong. Completely wrong. The action that happens in MW2 and NS (presumably NS2 as well) is so incredibly different that it simply won't work.

Just let the issue drop.

Also,
    <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>The Natural Selection 2 forums are not the place to talk about war politics.</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1749064:date=Jan 25 2010, 05:46 AM:name=PSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PSA @ Jan 25 2010, 05:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you DO realize what you're saying here right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm saying that NS ###### 2 will look outdated, and be disappointing in this area to those that expect said features, if it doesn't have said features.
  • BigTextBigText Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63231Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749693:date=Jan 30 2010, 02:05 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jan 30 2010, 02:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749693"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm saying that NS ###### 2 will look outdated, and be disappointing in this area to those that expect said features, if it doesn't have said features.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're also saying that since a lot of games have those features, NS2 should be less unique, and have said features.

Refusing to copy (in my opinion CRAPPY) features doesn't make a game dated at all. The Half-Life series has no iron sights, and it's considered by many to still be the best FPS series ever made. It also doesn't have that retarded regenerating health that a lot of shooters seem to think is a good idea, for some reason. NS2 with that sort of wait-five-seconds-and-you're-fine regen system would probably be one of the worst multiplayer games out there.
  • PrivatePrivate Join Date: 2007-06-10 Member: 61204Members, Constellation
    I dug out a few threads related to the 'Realism of guns in NS2'. They are a fairly good read (well, not really) - and uncannily similar to this thread I might add.
    <a href='index.php?showtopic=106580'>Marines Weapons in NS2: recoil and ironsights</a>
    <a href='index.php?showtopic=106699'>Don't call smgs "lmgs" in ns2</a>

There were others, these were just memorable. Feel free to dig for yourself if you are interested.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=NS2 Mapping Guidelines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2 Mapping Guidelines)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 layouts will typically have 6-10 rooms (bases plus smaller rooms for some resource points) and are simpler than the sprawling, nondescript corridors found in Natural Selection 1 maps. Rooms, resource points and other high-conflict areas should be relatively simple geometrywise to lower confusion and aim interference. They should also be a little bigger than in NS1 for less chaos.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I pulled this from the Mapping Guidelines. In my humble opinion, rooms being 'a little bigger' does not warrant any zoomed aim-mode. I mean, how large would the dres in tanith have to be before you felt comfortable scoping in on any of it's entrances? And I assure you, there will be plenty of close, twisty corridors in Natural Selection 2. After all, 6-10 rooms need to be connected without direct line of sight.

In short, I see no place in the Natural Selection universe for iron sights, scopes or zoomed guns. Attempting to carve out a niche for them might irreversibly wreck the fast paced combat we know and love.
    Discussions about the realism in NS <b>are</b> futile and allways end in a flaming trollfest as no side accepts the arguments from the opponent(s).