Linux Basic Performance

WinkieWinkie Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4034Members
<div class="IPBDescription">and screen too</div> Ok, very breif description

I'm running a 1800xp on a moderate board, 1/2 a gig of ram + 2 gig swapfile

OS is redhat 8, all I had lying around

with 3 players, on ns_hera, average load is 25%, I've been informed this is a lot over what it should be, and looking at ways to trim it down, or what could be causing it.

Would running Win2k Advanced Server give me lower CPU loads?

Sorry for the newbie post.

Also, could someone inform me exactly how to get make to compile screen into a set directory? I tried 3 or 4 times but never got it

Thanks
Winks

Comments

• WinkieWinkie Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4034Members
    Just tested again, 3 players, ns_eclipse, hlds CPU of 11.7% MAX
  • CosmicBlendCosmicBlend Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10283Members
    im running a server on a Dual 550 w/ 128mb ram on Slackware linux and i usually top out at around 70%-80% usage per cpu average across most maps.
  • cracker_jackmaccracker_jackmac Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6891Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--QuoteBegin--Winkie+Nov 29 2002, 08:23 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Winkie @ Nov 29 2002, 08:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Just tested again, 3 players, ns_eclipse, hlds CPU of 11.7% MAX<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ns_eclipse is the easiest on your CPU. Hera is the worst and bast is 2nd.
    Well yeah, that's why I tested on those, i'm wondering if they're roughly accurate to what other people get.
  • HtNickoliHtNickoli Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9786Members
    edited December 2002
    <!--QuoteBegin--Winkie+Nov 29 2002, 07:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Winkie @ Nov 29 2002, 07:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    Also, could someone inform me exactly how to get make to compile screen into a set directory? I tried 3 or 4 times but never got it
    Thanks
    Winks<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    HUH? What do you mena by a "set directory"? And why would you need to force the install of sceen into any dir other then the systems dirs it goes into?

If your asking how to compile it? it's;

(root)
    ./compile
    make
    make install
    edited December 2002
    <!--QuoteBegin--[Ht]Nickoli+Dec 2 2002, 05:10 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> ([Ht]Nickoli @ Dec 2 2002, 05:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--Winkie+Nov 29 2002, 07:49 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Winkie @ Nov 29 2002, 07:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
    Thanks
    Winks<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    HUH? What do you mena by a "set directory"? And why would you need to force the install of sceen into any dir other then the systems dirs it goes into?

If your asking how to compile it? it's;

(root)
    ./compile
    make
    make install<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aye, I know that much, but it seems to like to compile itself in its own directory instead of wherever it should go, I might redownload the tarball later.

Edit: By "own" I mean "source"
  • greydmiyugreydmiyu Join Date: 2002-11-18 Member: 9234Members
    That's why there is the make install step. Make makes it in the source directory, make install installs the binaries and appropriate documentation in the standard system locations.
    <!--QuoteBegin--greydmiyu+Dec 3 2002, 03:21 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (greydmiyu @ Dec 3 2002, 03:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->That's why there is the make install step. Make makes it in the source directory, make install installs the binaries and appropriate documentation in the standard system locations.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Aha! I'm sorry I appear to be a **obscenity** moron.