NS2 on Mac

xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">(calm down! :) this is further from previous threads)</div>I know the devs wish to eventually make NS2 as cross platform as possible and to get the same released as fast as they can they're just going to concentrate on Windows for now, but given Steam is now available on Mac (The happiest I've been in weeks!), will this solidify their plans to get a Mac version knocked out fairly close to, or if we're lucky even on release?

Thoughts?

PS: SteamPlay feature is bloody phenomenal

Comments

• WarLoverWarLover Join Date: 2009-11-05 Member: 69276Members
    100% sure it won't be available at the same time, doubt it'll even be within the same year.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mac and Linux version would be wise giving the current direction Steam is going.

But they should focus on releasing the windows version first.
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1771038:date=May 12 2010, 09:21 PM:name=WarLover)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WarLover @ May 12 2010, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->100% sure it won't be available at the same time, doubt it'll even be within the same year.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I hate to be Debbie Downer but it's just not anywhere near the top of their priority list. Maybe within the year but at release there's just really no chance. I mean, we might be getting most of what they have developed in the next few(ish) weeks in the Alpha version and there will be another 6-8 months of work that needs to be done- just on the Windows version- before release. I think it's a bit unrealistic to think that UWE could release a day-and-date Mac version alongside the Windows one.

That being said, they have had a Mac version in mind from the beginning, so it shouldn't be another 4 years before the Mac version is released.
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    Yeah I really hope the mac version will come asap, as soon as they announce something about It I would order the game, but I can't justify buying a windows machine just to play NS2. In my dreams it would go down like this, as a mac user, from a video game company this is about all i could expect:

Windows Alpha released
    Windows NS2 full game retail released
    Windows UPDATE NS2 v2.0 bugs n fixes
    Mac Beta version released
    Full Mac version released for ns2 + windows version updated so they can play with their new MAC buddies!!
    Lots of head's being chomped off by me
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1771279:date=May 15 2010, 12:08 PM:name=thecowsaysmoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thecowsaysmoo @ May 15 2010, 12:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771279"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->but I can't justify buying a windows machine just to play NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Install VMWare Fusion. Work's great. Have only just started using it recently so I don't need to jump between my Mac and Windows machine for little things I can only do on Windows.

I'm not sure what kind of game performance you can expect from a VM but I imagine it wouldn't be terrible.
  • MinikloonMinikloon Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71802Members
    I think I would be willing to pay 100$ for NS2 on Mac.

Sure with a Mac build <i>always</i> asap with Windows versions.

Lolz? Sarcastic (Or not?)...
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    Maybe some day I can imagine them attempting it. At this point the game barely runs on crazy windows boxes, so I would imagine barring some phenomenal performance improvements the mac market would be far too small to support.