How many maps on release?

GISPGISP Battle GorgeDenmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
How many maps do you plan to ship whit NS2?
And as it is now, how many of thoes will be fanmade? - ( some nice looking maps in the mapping forum )

Comments

• DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    Although I can't find a source, I think they said 5 UWE maps, along with however many other maps meet their measure of quality and standard from the community. So, who knows?! As well if a map doesn't make the official cut it'll probably still see the light of day on release on custom map rotations anyway.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    There'll probably be a couple of high quality levels and then a load of old HL1 DM style inspired tosh, typically like NS1 was.
  • NecroNecro <insert non-birthday-related title here> Join Date: 2002-08-09 Member: 1118Members
    it's kinda 50/50 for me, 5 is a good number however, if you only have 5 you need to do pretty frequent map releases and the first being within the first 4 months because otherwise 5 maps gets really overplayed.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1777100:date=Jul 5 2010, 10:06 PM:name=Necro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Necro @ Jul 5 2010, 10:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777100"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's kinda 50/50 for me, 5 is a good number however, if you only have 5 you need to do pretty frequent map releases and the first being within the first 4 months because otherwise 5 maps gets really overplayed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, but like mentioned there will be at least 5, from what I'd guess as many as 10 in the initial release, given all the community map contributions.
  • JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1777100:date=Jul 5 2010, 09:06 PM:name=Necro)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Necro @ Jul 5 2010, 09:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777100"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it's kinda 50/50 for me, 5 is a good number however, if you only have 5 you need to do pretty frequent map releases and the first being within the first 4 months because otherwise 5 maps gets really overplayed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1777102:date=Jul 5 2010, 09:40 PM:name=Drown)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Drown @ Jul 5 2010, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777102"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, but like mentioned there will be at least 5, from what I'd guess as many as 10 in the initial release, given all the community map contributions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm with both of your sets of numbers, but from my experience with NS1 the real kicker is that almost no map's first release is dead on. Tanith and Veil are probably the two most people would say came closest but remember how the original Veil had pods with vents on either side of Marine Start, or that version that included Northern Corridor? And Tanith's Waste was a brutal starting hive even after TommyD added in the pillar in the center to block line of fire/sight.

I think a smaller set of maps that see more frequent, and more consistent updates would be preferable to a lot of maps all in various states of playability that may or may not get improved as time goes on.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I forgot how many maps were at original release but there probably wasn't 10. Metal, Veil, Lost , Lucid and Ayumi, plus probably others I can't remember, were added later on in the game (that's not counting co_ maps)

You can't compare a retail game with a free HL mod, but my point is that this team does look forward to sharing new content. That's including community content: they have already stated that they're planning to eventually purchase playerbase custom favorites and include them as part of the retail product, effectively ensuring that all players can access them (much like they've done for maps like Metal and Lost).
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1777107:date=Jul 6 2010, 12:15 AM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jul 6 2010, 12:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777107"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->they have already stated that they're planning to eventually purchase playerbase custom favorites and include them as part of the retail product<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I did not know this makes me really want to get my map done for the alpha release and start testing gameplay :]
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1777135:date=Jul 6 2010, 09:41 AM:name=Lazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lazer @ Jul 6 2010, 09:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777135"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I did not know this makes me really want to get my map done for the alpha release and start testing gameplay :]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought for sure you were aware of that lazer.. I thought all the mappers pretty much new of it hehe. Guess you now have more reason to make some amazing maps. =)
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Yes well I have been working on a map and its probably like 75% complete I just don't want to start a map thread until I finish all the rooms and most of the routes (1 room not started, a few unfinished). I had not been aware of 'purchasing' the maps to put into the pack I was more doing it so people could hopefully enjoy playing my map. Plus didn't a few of the mappers from NS1 get hired by id?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    We've never stated exactly how many maps we are going to be releasing for the first release of NS2. Maps for NS2 are much more time consuming to make then they were for NS1, due to the level of detail, the unique environment assets being created, and the focus on larger memorable landmark areas. Plus, all of the maps are going to need to undergo extensive playtesting and fixes based on that.

We are currently focused on shipping a smaller number of very polished maps, rather then a larger amount of rushed ones. We also have pretty high standards, so any potential map inclusions from the community will most likely still need to get an another extensive pass by the mapper to address our feedback, if it is to be included as an official map.

--Cory
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    As for now do maps like Holograms ns2_power and pSyk0mAns ns2_summit meet your standarts?
    <!--quoteo(post=1777284:date=Jul 7 2010, 10:50 AM:name=GISP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GISP @ Jul 7 2010, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777284"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for now do maps like Holograms ns2_power and pSyk0mAns ns2_summit meet your standarts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Wouldn't be surprised if they do visually. Game play we won't know until there is a game to play.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I think Barlow's and Sly's maps come closest to the style and quality they are going for, but I've no idea actually :D
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Am still waiting for my Spark Editor fix :( Driving me nuts.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1777325:date=Jul 7 2010, 04:45 PM:name=SgtBarlow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtBarlow @ Jul 7 2010, 04:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777325"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am still waiting for my Spark Editor fix :( Driving me nuts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's definitely starting to get unbearable for myself too, Barlow.

It just drastically slows the process down with the intense framerate loss, and I find, really kills my desire to continue.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1777294:date=Jul 7 2010, 10:40 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Jul 7 2010, 10:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777294"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Barlow's and Sly's maps come closest to the style and quality they are going for, but I've no idea actually :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Psy, give yourself some credit, your map is looking great, and I'm really digging your rounded geometry you like to use.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    Well de_dust2 and 2fort will also be released when the game goes official.

So that makes 4 for sure.

(HAR)
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Considering you guys are moaning about the editor needing fixed before you can complete a level; the official team have managed it.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Presumably the official team is using the most up-to-date version, which probably includes optimisations? Whereas I thought public spark editor updates have been lacking whilst they work on the alpha?
  • vsyncvsync Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62602Members
    no friggin siege maps please lawl
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1777350:date=Jul 8 2010, 02:24 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 8 2010, 02:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Considering you guys are moaning about the editor needing fixed before you can complete a level; the official team have managed it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The official map is tiny, its half the size of mine and its half the size of a big NS1 map. I have 3 of 5 tech points in and main line routes missing and a frame dead editor.

They also probably have a better version of the editor than us.
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    Don't forget, workstations.

Where gamers so we have good PC's but workstations are optimised for development. They probably have those special nvidia/ati developer cards that cost $4000+ each, like 3 of em in SLI. For that money they run actual games about twice as slow as top of the line gamer cards, but stuff like 3ds studio max runs @%^#$@ fast, and the editor isn't too far off from that. they also stated they work with 3ds max for the models.

That all might sound expensive to us but if your going to work on a game for 4+ years, the amount of time saved due to no low frame rates ever (and thus workhours gained), especially with a small development team (few machines + more time saved per machine) will eclipse the amount of money spent on such a machine (otherwise, they would be cheaper).
    <!--quoteo(post=1777740:date=Jul 10 2010, 11:56 AM:name=TSS)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TSS @ Jul 10 2010, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't forget, workstations.

Where gamers so we have good PC's but workstations are optimised for development. They probably have those special nvidia/ati developer cards that cost $4000+ each, like 3 of em in SLI. For that money they run actual games about twice as slow as top of the line gamer cards, but stuff like 3ds studio max runs @%^#$@ fast, and the editor isn't too far off from that. they also stated they work with 3ds max for the models.

That all might sound expensive to us but if your going to work on a game for 4+ years, the amount of time saved due to no low frame rates ever (and thus workhours gained), especially with a small development team (few machines + more time saved per machine) will eclipse the amount of money spent on such a machine (otherwise, they would be cheaper).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As great that would be for UWE, it's definitely not the case. Their dev PC's aren't anything special, they've stated this a few times and part of the reason the Engine test was released was to gather compatibility with cards/etc. Also, a lot of the mappers work off-site on contract work on their own PC's.

Here's to hoping NS2 sells well and they can get some sweet hardware to streamline updates/future projects!
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1777740:date=Jul 10 2010, 04:56 PM:name=TSS)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TSS @ Jul 10 2010, 04:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777740"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where gamers so we have good PC's but workstations are optimised for development. They probably have those special nvidia/ati developer cards that cost $4000+ each, like 3 of em in SLI.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    HAHAHAHA....ah...sadly, no. At work we're all running some nothing special hardware that is years old. In fact, I think we all have much better, faster and newer machines at home.

--Cory
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1777294:date=Jul 7 2010, 11:40 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Jul 7 2010, 11:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777294"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think Barlow's and Sly's maps come closest to the style and quality they are going for, but I've no idea actually :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was about to quote this guy then blast him for not mentioning Psyko's map. I then realized it was Psyko.

Both Barlow's and Sly's respective maps look amazing and I would never knock them but the game isn't even out in alpha yet and I'm already tired of looking at the same gloomy / dark lighting that seems to be in every NS2 map ever. The only exception is your map, Psyko, and Thaldarin's map both of which look great, unique, and playable.