NS2 Bots

SparkyMcSparksSparkyMcSparks Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71347Members
Anyone know if NS2 is going to have bot code (NPC / AI) out of the box for MP?

Comments

• 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    The commander is going to control Weldbots and the new mobile Sieges, so my guess would be that there is some form of KI
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    The newest screen shows a selected constructor with repair, stop, move commands on the panel. I get the impression that they will be entirely under manual control.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Hmmm, I would think that allot of amx and metamod stuff would need to be ported over not just for admin control and fun stuff but for plugins like commai to tweek things that get built and where. It was however nice to see that sticky chambers is already coded in, NICE!

We shall wait patiently and see whats included, but if the dev's are really watching and have been watching the community, most of the addons will be coded in or at the very least patched in at a later date (maybe wishful thinking).

I just got my bots on both of my NS servers to perform murderously so i am in hopes that if AI is included it will be at least 50% configurable.
  • BenaiahBenaiah Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22517Members
    Bots would also make for awesome commander practice. You shouldn't have to worry about people jumping into the chair who dont even know where the logout button is.

It would also allow for 1v1 with 7bots on each team. Allowing a marine commander to compete against an alien commander.
    I think it would definately help the community by allowing low pop servers to still be fun.
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    It has been officially stated that bots will definitely be included. When, exactly, is anyone's guess, but presumably they're intended for the 1.0 release. (Bugger if I can be bothered finding the quotes right now, but the NS2 "About" page or NS2.com might mention it - look for the phrase "clever bots will do the rest".)
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited July 2010
    That's good. But the bots in NS were really stupid. They didn't even know what they were doing...

I was playing on a bot server as a commander and I had 3 teammates running around in circles are the marine start!

So, if they release bots can they at least move to my wavepoints...?
  • abYsssabYsss Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72433Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Rated maps and powerful matchmaking allow you to play with people of any skill level. Play on servers from Easy to Expert or compete in tournaments. Play on the Internet, on a LAN or <b><u>offline</u></b> with any number of players. <u><b>Clever bots will do the rest.</b></u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know when this was written though, might be outdated already.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    What always annoyed me with bots is that allot of the servers at the top were just servers with 30/32 bots. I just hope we will be able to search for human servers only, in addition to server not full, has users playing, etc...
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1781655:date=Jul 21 2010, 11:45 PM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Jul 21 2010, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1781655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's good. But the bots in NS were really stupid. They didn't even know what they were doing...

I was playing on a bot server as a commander and I had 3 teammates running around in circles are the marine start!

So, if they release bots can they at least move to my wavepoints...?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would say not the bots but in fact the servers setup, My bots using commai along with many other plugins and alot of tweaking make for a very good game. The waypoints are the most important part or you get moon-walking bots with no visual waypoints to follow. Thus running in circles.