NS2.Exe Has Stopped Working

CPCheebsCPCheebs Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72416Members
So I got on NS2 today just to play around with the pre-alpha gimmicks, but when I tried to make a server everything was working fine until it came to "Authenticating..." and I got a warning that NS2.exe stopped working, the game froze up, and then exited. I tried several different resolutions and quality settings and even deleted local content from steam but the same result occured. The weird thing is I KNOW my computer can run NS2 but, for some reason, this started happening recently.

So far my only hope is that this won't happen when alpha come out. Any ideas?

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Happened to me to testing my map. Might as well wait for the alpha to come around.
  • KachoKacho Join Date: 2006-11-12 Member: 58564Members
    I have the same issue ¬¬
  • MuzzzyMuzzzy Join Date: 2005-07-20 Member: 56360Members
    I'm pretty sure it is an issue with steam. You might be able to do a LAN game. It will be cleared up if you have the Special Edition when the alpha comes out. But I don't know what UWE plans to do with our bugged Standard Edition versions of NS2.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1780628:date=Jul 19 2010, 04:10 AM:name=Muzzzy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Muzzzy @ Jul 19 2010, 04:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780628"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But I don't know what UWE plans to do with our bugged Standard Edition versions of NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Leave it as it is. It's alpha software, it's going to have bugs every where and not be polished. When you get access to the next level of alpha, you shall know.
  • MuzzzyMuzzzy Join Date: 2005-07-20 Member: 56360Members
    edited July 2010
    www.naturalselection2.com/buy says we get access to beta and tools. But I just wanted some updates to the tools or game code while I have to wait for beta.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1780644:date=Jul 19 2010, 01:45 AM:name=Muzzzy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Muzzzy @ Jul 19 2010, 01:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->www.naturalselection2.com/buy says we get access to beta and tools. But I just wanted some updates to the tools or game code while I have to wait for beta.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You might get something for the tools. But I am 90% expecting you won't get anything to update the game code whatsoever. Though the engine test will never be updated, you might get a bone thrown in the form of something else. But I'm 90% sure you won't. That's the point of getting the Standard Edition instead of the Special Edition. You don't get the game in any large form until beta. You get a buggy engine test that will never be updated instead.

Again though; tools maybe. And that'd be released to everyone probably, since every gets mapping tools (right?).
    so, you re telling me that i'm playing a full buggy engine, without optimitations?
    i get more fun with the level editor.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1780902:date=Jul 19 2010, 08:40 PM:name=Kacho)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kacho @ Jul 19 2010, 08:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1780902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so, you re telling me that i'm playing a full buggy engine, without optimitations?
    i get more fun with the level editor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not really our fault that you don't know what an Alpha is and still insisted on purchasing access to it.
  • CPCheebsCPCheebs Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72416Members
    edited July 2010
    OKAY, if you are having this problem, I found the solution:

Open your steam games list, right click on NS2 and click "delete local content"

Now don't jump the gun and reinstall just yet. Open up your steam/steamapps folder on your hard drive, find the NS2 folder located in one of the sub-folders and delete it.

Reinstall and enjoy! :)
    i had reinstalled al the game again.... and.. i could play like 30 seconds haha!. the problems begins when i try to create the second map available. the first works fine, in the exception of the FIRE GUN SOUND.