Mainstream vs Indie

2»

Comments

• DarkFrostDarkFrost Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15154Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    That may have been true, when people actually played combat.

Unfortunately there are few to no servers that played pure combat for long, as most servers changed it with plugins to a completely different game. Which is a shame, combat "out of the box" was a fun game to play. In my opinion adding options to build was like making it into a dumbed down ns mode. And adding in exta levels and upgrades removed any real need for thinking what upgrade to use.
  • RobotsNeedLoveRobotsNeedLove Join Date: 2007-12-30 Member: 63297Members
    edited July 2010
    Eh? Your 'requests' could've been made without throwing "mainstream" every which way. First of all, I'm surprised you even bring up franchises you <b>haven't</b> played to make your point. Though I can't say I'm up to date with BF, as the current games just look god awful, BF2+Expansions were a blast. I only ranked in MW2 and CoD4 until I got all the gear, the Prestige's were lost on me, but it didn't prevent me from enjoying the game, at Lvl 1 or at Lvl 70. All these "mainstream" games are enjoyable and sell. That's all we can want for NS2.

#1. Unlockable weapons and equipment are fine if they're optional and or alternatives, like in BF2 and TF2. MW2 mostly failed in this regard as the unlocks were straight up <u>upgrades.</u> Still, it's not as if the leveling system is unfair. It's not impossible for a Lvl 1 to kill a Lvl 70, nor does having other people already Lvl 70 make it impossible for a Lvl 1 to reach Lvl 70. Either way, neither type of unlock alternatives or upgrades, are entirely unreasonable. A progression system adds longevity to the game, and a sense of lasting accomplishment. It encourages players to play (the completionists), and earn their gear. Competitve Toggle is a given.

I don't care either way. And with the information released, it doesn't look like NS2 will have TF2 or MW2 level unlocks at all. Which I'm fine with.

#2. That's just that games particular style and flare, and to be honest, it looks like some wholesome fun. I don't recall Killzone2 or MW2 having these. It's like complaining about "M-m-m-monster kill" and "HUMILIATION", it's the same thing in audio-form. And no one who appreciates the classics complain about those. The closest other game I can think of that have these is TF2, and I don't even recall what they were. I think maybe "Crits" pops up over someones head when you get one and Dominations and Nemesis, and you can toggle numerical damage indicator on or off. Which I keep on because it not only looks snazzy, it's useful. So as far as "mainstream" goes, I'm unsure.

TF2 has a near-perfect point system, and I wouldn't mind if NS2 resembled it.