Hardware req. for server hosting

TquilaTquila Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70738Members, NS2 Playtester
Just a quick question. What sort of hardware is required to host a server (mainly Memory/CPU) and what speed does it need to run?

If the game follows the general multiplayer game connection trend this equation could suffice:

UL = 10 * PlayerSlots;

on a 24 slot server would require 240kb/s or equivalent to ~2.5-3mbit in upload.

I can support anywhere from 25 to 100mbit upload but my hardware is a little more limited. Mainly the RAM.

Would have been lovely to be able to run Ubunty without desktop to save memory, but as it seems it's only Win32 for now which leaves me with my Windows Server 2008.

Any knowledge would be awesome.

/Kola

Comments

• InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    I ran a 500 fps(constant) 100 tickrate 18 slot CSS server/tf2 server at the same time, AND! get ready for this, I could play on it also with no lag or stuttering caused to the server or anyone else. The server was incredibly fast. I also managed to play SC2 which is a ###### to my computer and still ran fine.

I also have FIOS which isnt made for hosting.

And my computer is from 2004.

Oh i have only 1 gig of ram and a AMD64-Athlon FX-55 but i run in 32 bit.

Hope this sheds some light onto you and your worries.

(Setting the server hosting whatever to HIGHEST PRIORITY will boost the servers capability by a ######load, and putting whatever game your playing that has the server on it to lowest prioroity will allow smooooth playing.)
  • TquilaTquila Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70738Members, NS2 Playtester
    I guess you ran it as listen server (as far as I can tell from your post) - I'll have it running on a seperate machine as dedicated server.

It's a 2.4Ghz AMD processor along with a top of the line motherboard from the peroid. Only issue is it only has 1gig ram, but I can probably buy 2 gigs or something if it's horrible. Guess it also depends how well the server code performs.
  • antichristantichrist Join Date: 2003-05-27 Member: 16769Members
    I ve got a dual socket dual core with 4GB ready to go
  • TquilaTquila Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70738Members, NS2 Playtester
    Doesnt help me much though ^^ Guess I'll be testing it and see how it works out. if my server becomes popular I'll probably upgrade it, else I'll probably just stalk someone elses server :o