Anatomically Correct Damage Vulnerability

CPCheebsCPCheebs Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72416Members
edited July 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">sweet-spots ;)</div>I was just was thinking, and this may already be implemented for alpha, but I think it would be pretty neat if aliens took more damage on parts of their body (like where armor isn't present) much like if a marine was hit with an attack in the head, it would cause more damage. It would balance for both sides and would be relatively easy to do (just add some new hitboxes and play with the damage thresholds)

Just a thought :D what are your opinions? This would be cool right?

Comments

• kira`kira` Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72787Members
    Skulk drops from ceiling. Bites my head off. I'm dead. No thanks. I'll stick to my 2 bites+parasite etc.
  • CPCheebsCPCheebs Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72416Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1783537:date=Jul 26 2010, 04:15 AM:name=kira`)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kira` @ Jul 26 2010, 04:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1783537"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulk drops from ceiling. Bites my head off. I'm dead. No thanks. I'll stick to my 2 bites+parasite etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It could bring a more interesting aspect to tactical attacking, because where the skulk may be able to bite a marines head/neck, a marine can take out a skulk in just one well placed pistol shot.

Or, devs could make these vulnerable hitboxes simply deal MORE damage versus a one-hit kill.

Im just thinking off of the top of my head. :P
  • BlackMombahBlackMombah Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72778Members
    I've always liked this idea but I can't say if it would make comebacks a lot harder or easier, especially with the marine upgrades late game.

The biggest loser would be a capable game-changing ninja Fade of course. Anyhow, we'll see what else UW comes up with over the next decade hopefully :)
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    i know in ns1 they were against this
  • BlackMombahBlackMombah Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72778Members
    Add in a TF2-style 3 second stun each time a skulk chomps on a marine's codpiece and I'm good.
  • Denton22Denton22 Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70878Members
    Does the Game still using Hitboxes? I Thought they dont use Hitboxes
  • brownymasterbrownymaster Join Date: 2009-07-11 Member: 68110Members
    Reminds me of <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=109128&hl=" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...=109128&hl=</a>

Pretty sure most NS players will be against this, considering the only perfectly accurate weapon was the pistol and every other shot could be spread out randomly around vitals. Besides, NS was built around static damage, and so far I don't see why we need to change it to a luck system.
  • KeleshKelesh Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72574Members
    The problem here is it requires a ton of programming to work up hitboxes, playtest for hitbox exploits, and balance the maps to avoid units being overpowered in certain areas. If marines are weak in the head area, they'll try to attack from above more. I'd be in favor of a couple hitboxes (aliens take more damage from behind, marines faces aren't as protected) but it seems to be a lot of programming work, and NS2 has always seemed to me to be more of a teamwork/strategy type of FPS than the fast twitch headshot sort of FPS.
  • JerkstoreJerkstore Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67880Members
    If the Gorge's butt is stronger than the Gorge's face, then every Gorge will be running into each room butt-first.

In which case, I support this idea. But the Gorge's are funny enough already, so static damage would prevent me from dying of laughter each game.