Development Blog Update - NS2 Alpha tonight

Comments

• EviL_ErNiEEviL_ErNiE Join Date: 2005-03-09 Member: 44471Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785456:date=Jul 27 2010, 01:26 AM:name=eoy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eoy @ Jul 27 2010, 01:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785456"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't connect to any servers, anyone else experiencing this? In the console it just stays on "Attempting connection to IP" forever :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

same here..... =\
  • tsunslaw77tsunslaw77 Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73003Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785474:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:31 AM:name=EviL_ErNiE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EviL_ErNiE @ Jul 27 2010, 12:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785474"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->same here..... =\<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I got the same problem.
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Welcome to the joys of Alpha testing!

On the plus side, you were actually able to <b>LOAD</b> the client tonight! This has been an excellent evening of testing! Congrats everyone!
  • SqueeboSqueebo Join Date: 2008-02-04 Member: 63580Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785456:date=Jul 27 2010, 05:26 AM:name=eoy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eoy @ Jul 27 2010, 05:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785456"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't connect to any servers, anyone else experiencing this? In the console it just stays on "Attempting connection to IP" forever :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeap, same here
  • ColonelHicksColonelHicks Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10236Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785519:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:47 AM:name=Squeebo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeebo @ Jul 27 2010, 12:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeap, same here<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ditto, it tries valiantly, but unable to connect.
  • kilikakunkilikakun Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73076Members
    So I bought the special edition a few days ago, got the code to re-download NS2, read that I needed another code to get into alpha yet the other code has not arrived.

To add onto things I am still getting that pop up even though I registered my special edition. >.<
  • JesusUncuTJesusUncuT Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43367Members
    !!!... everyone is having this issue... they are working on it... seems to be that the servers are getting overloaded with attempts to join till they get in... even on full servers... there is no "we are full go somewhere else" reply going on... to make it simple.... thats whats going on to my understanding...
    The announcement said they were sending out the Black Armor keys though and I only was given the key to allow me to pre download the game.
  • JesusUncuTJesusUncuT Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43367Members
    did you preorder the special edition or regular edition? if it was less than 39.95 it wasnt SE
    Special edition, spent 39,95... Here is a blurb from the e-mail.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for pre-ordering the Special Edition of NS2!

Listed below is your game key(s), which you will need to play.

NS2 pre-order Special Edition Key - ****-****-****-****-****<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • NiBBlerNiBBler Join Date: 2009-09-06 Member: 68708Members
    I had a fun time tonight playing ns2 we manged to play with minimum lag and i got and overlook at bouth sides. I will say that i like the look of the game the atmosphere and feeling and keeping in mind its alpha i can say i liked the 1 experience but i hope there will be fast improvement for killing system.

Good luck UKW
    I also have my paypal reciept, they just did not e-mail me the other keys that they were supposed to today.
  • haizenberghaizenberg Join Date: 2009-12-20 Member: 69726Members
    You are realy luky, in here, my game dont want to start.... still saying :" NS2 is currently only available to people who pre-ordered the Special Edition. We will be opening up the beta to everyone shortly. In the meantime you can still access the tools."

okay ^^, i go play with my tools in my little garden ><
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are realy luky, in here, my game dont want to start.... still saying :" NS2 is currently only available to people who pre-ordered the Special Edition. We will be opening up the beta to everyone shortly. In the meantime you can still access the tools."

okay ^^, i go play with my tools in my little garden ><<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same here, you also got the preorder?
  • aaSpideraaSpider Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73079Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The announcement said they were sending out the Black Armor keys though and I only was given the key to allow me to pre download the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you ordered the SE and haven't got your NS2 Black Armor/Alpha code yet you can go here to retreive it:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/retrieve" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/retrieve</a>
  • AndeerzAndeerz Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73080Members
    Same thing happened to me. Just request an email via the retrieve license page and you'll get an email with both keys. :3
  • TerraGamerXTerraGamerX Join Date: 2006-12-04 Member: 58900Members
    It ... was ... awesome. Sure there was a constant rubberbanding effect permitting moving only 3 feet every 5 seconds, it it was epic and fun to play. Did it for 3 hours XD

Learned a lot of the game and I like where it's going. But playing without patience is impossible in its present state. The most that the rubberband effect interfered with for me was bug hunting.
  • DaxedDaxed Join Date: 2008-03-19 Member: 63905Members
    Is there a way to run a DS on one of my machines and the game on another?
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The menu music reminds me somehow of Resident Evil.

Well, can't create or connect to any server but our Guys are surely working on it. :)
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    They should have delayed it. There's nothing to really test.
  • eoyeoy Join Date: 2004-11-18 Member: 32860Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1785713:date=Jul 27 2010, 02:14 AM:name=Lemming Jesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemming Jesus @ Jul 27 2010, 02:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785713"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They should have delayed it. There's nothing to really test.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No? There's a ton of stuff to test, for starters that people can get the game running on different systems. This is alpha, not beta so I'm even happy that there is some gameplay at all.

Surely you wasn't expecting to test balance issues etc already? :)
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well, it could be just a simple mechanic that's been overlooked - i remember the WoW launch day where nothing worked.
  • TribalbobTribalbob Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73048Members
    This is the perfect time to test. I'll bet this is UWE's first real stress test they've got - thousands of people all trying to connect and play their game? I'm sure their server engineers are getting all sorts of useful data to help get the optimization ball rolling.
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    edited July 2010
    Besides the excessive lag issue, I like the game.
    The graphics are awesome.

Just need to fix that lag/connection problem and hitboxes and it'll be playable.
  • TrueTrue Join Date: 2004-03-16 Member: 27361Members
    edited July 2010
    Just need to add the ability to connect so I can have the honor of experiencing the excessive lag.
  • SpeculatorSpeculator Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11462Members
    Has anyone deduced where the performance issue is rising from? I vaguely remember UWE stating the light sources are all dynamic...which could lead to major performance issues as not only does draw shadows, but it has to light each and every multitude of textures mapped on the geometry (dynamic lighting has been a huge resource hog from my experience). Or it could be LOD issues or maybe it be stemming from any variety of other variables.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1785736:date=Jul 27 2010, 05:30 PM:name=Speculator)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Speculator @ Jul 27 2010, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has anyone deduced where the performance issue is rising from? I vaguely remember UWE stating the light sources are all dynamic...which could lead to major performance issues as not only does draw shadows, but it has to light each and every multitude of textures mapped on the geometry (dynamic lighting has been a huge resource hog from my experience). Or it could be LOD issues or maybe it be stemming from any variety of other variables.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's because its a deferred renderer..

Which means you can have thousands of lights with little to no impact on frame rate but there is a heavier base cost of rendering a frame then a traditional forward renderer.

Also deferred rendering is fairly newish so newer hardware it much more optimised for it...

Also sticking to DX9 also isn't helping performance either for this type of rendering....
  • ScribblesScribbles Join Date: 2003-11-05 Member: 22323Members
    Perhaps we could use an NS alpha subforum?

The main page is getting cluttered with technical issue threads.
  • SpeculatorSpeculator Join Date: 2002-12-24 Member: 11462Members
    edited July 2010
    O, awesome! Also, have they tried experimenting with Ramp shading? Little to no performance hit and has great results with lighting (company used it to much success, especially because of its scalability on lower end hardware)
  • PhalckPhalck Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 722Members
    The excessive lag, as explained earlier in other posts is from people killing the server by trying to connect. The client does not look for a "server full" flag before attempting to connect, it just sits there and continuoulsy tries to connect until the server dies.

We have all contributed to DDoS attacks last night.