Skulk Teeth Too Blunt

UbOteXUbOteX Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73254Members
Just my opinion but the skulks teeth look rather blunt and are due for a good sharpening.

Comments

• NeXuZNeXuZ Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19594Members
    the marines are squisy atm.. so not.

But then yeah they need to look a litte "sharper". When they get most of the Important stuff clearned they can add/change em.
  • GrendelGrendel All that is fear... Join Date: 2002-07-19 Member: 970Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, NS2 Playtester
    If you spent your time chomping through a mixture of bone and composite armour you'd have blunt gnashers too. :)
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also, 200 bar pressure make anything puncture you, pinky!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Anyone study biology or anatomy etc?

It would be funny to read an analysis of how NS2 aliens would fare in real life. I read some comment on youtube that said the Onos's butt should be lifting higher off the ground when it runs XD
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    T-Rex's teeth are also quite blunt, making it possible to crush very hard stuff called bone. Sharp teeth would simply break or crack, the teeth are fine!
  • rofldinhorofldinho Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68259Members
    Maybe if Focus or something similar will be in the game, the teeth could get bigger, or sharper.

Which would make sense. Several bites with blunt teeth to kill a marine, one or two bites with Focus teeth to kill a marine.
  • iskunderiskunder Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68414Members
    Yeah except a t-Rex is 5 times the size of an onos.

I say make the teeth sharper...
  • Donner & BlitzenDonner & Blitzen Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70879Members
    No, don't. Look at a crocodile's teeth for example. They aren't sharp.
  • teh_fattsteh_fatts Join Date: 2004-06-21 Member: 29442Members
    I like 'em the way they are. They fit the aliens' current chunky aesthetic well, and look nicely similar to real-world carnivore teeth.
  • Dash-ElDash-El Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72925Members
    I wouldn't mind seeing a tooth break or fall out though.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited July 2010
    Teeth generally are. Having a mouth full of razor sharp knives is not a very good idea when your mouth is also full of squishy pink flesh. Sharp things are always on the outside of the body, like talons and beaks.

It's the compressive force of the jaw that makes teeth work, not excessive sharpness.

Plus, it's hard to make sharp points look good in games, lighting processes don't work all that well on them.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    the shape they have now will puncture armour better than sharpened teeth which would be more likely to break on impact.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2010
    To sum it all up...

Razor sharp teeth are only used by animals that rip flesh from their victims, sharks for example do this. But whenever they try to bite the harder stuff in there (bones), their teeth break off. Luckily they can grow new teeth, but that doesn't matter much in the NS universe if you are unable to crack or punch trough armor.

Blunt teeth with maybe serrated edges can be used for crushing and tearing the very hard stuff. They also can tolerate much more force on them due to their cylindrical shape. These teeth are awesome for cracking armor or buildings, in the case of NS. Crocodiles have nice teeth for this, but I still like the Rex's teeth better. It has the serrated edges and can also tear trough flesh much better then a croc can, he needs to use a death roll to be effective at flash tearing.

So maybe turn them into Dino teeth, as the Skulk is made for biting and ripping apart hard stuff, and those Dino teeth are the best design for this.

[edit]
    So @ the title of this thread, they do indeed look a little bit too blunt. But just a little bit, adding this serrated edge and bend them back into the mouth a little (Rex style). Would make them look awesome, but I am still fine with the crocodile look they now have though... Skulky isn't exactly a flesh tearing machine, all he really sinks his teeth in are armored marines or buildings...
  • rofldinhorofldinho Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68259Members
    edited July 2010
    As a Skulk, I want to bite Marine's asses.

If possible, I'd like to see visible damage done to a Marine's ass from a skulk biting it. It would be a bit like a baboon's backside maybe. Maybe have a bit of the Marine's ass hanging off the teeth for a few seconds.
  • CPCheebsCPCheebs Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72416Members
    Oh... my... god... you guys are over-analyzing this game way too much. Haha!