Dedicated Server for NS2

DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">using website hosting?</div>Just a question.

I got to thinking the other day... can I use my website hosting to run a dedicated NS2 server as long as I have a static (dedicated) IP address? How would I go about doing this? [/newb]

Thanks,
Cody

Comments

• EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    almost certainly not if it is solely website hosting.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1798715:date=Sep 15 2010, 05:23 PM:name=Ezekiel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ezekiel @ Sep 15 2010, 05:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->almost certainly not if it is solely website hosting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

if he contacted the host and had them install the the dedicated server then yes. but there's no way in hell they'd do it, 14.95 a month for that kind of bandwidth? ha.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1798716:date=Sep 15 2010, 04:54 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Sep 15 2010, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if he contacted the host and had them install the the dedicated server then yes. but there's no way in hell they'd do it, 14.95 a month for that kind of bandwidth? ha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uhh... I paid for three years upfront. Unlimited Bandwidth and Unlimited Storage Space... that shouldn't be an issue.

But I'll need to call my hosting and ask if they can install the dedicated NS2 software? No way that I can do it myself through FTP or something?

Cheers,
    Cody
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    If you have access via shell (for linux hosts), or remote desktop (for windows hosts), then it would be possible to setup a server assuming it wasn't against hosts AUP, if you have just bought webhosting then this likely isn't in your package as the resources needed to run a game server are much much more than those needed to run an average website (you could run hundreds if not thousands of websites on a server than might only handle 10 or 20 game servers).
  • ThiefThief Ownage Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19214Members, Constellation
    The hosting package you pay for is pretty irrelevant when it comes to trying to do things like this. The reason they offer good deals on "Unlimited" bandwidth is because they know 95% of the customers that buy it don't even go near the lowest priced tiered-BW plan they offer. Unless you can pull one over on some staffer there over the phone to convince them to install it for you, your only real chance is using remote desktop access which is pretty rarely given out to website hosting clients. Then again no matter how you accomplish it, I can almost guarantee it violates the acceptable use policy you agreed to, and runs the chance of them pulling your hosting without refund and eating your pets.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1798772:date=Sep 16 2010, 07:24 AM:name=Thief)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thief @ Sep 16 2010, 07:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The reason they offer good deals on "Unlimited" bandwidth is because they know 95% of the customers that buy it don't even go near the lowest priced tiered-BW plan they offer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This.

Welcome to the world of webhosting, DarkATi, you don't <b>really</b> get unlimited anything.

Anyway, I'm 99.9% sure they are not going to host a dedicated servers for you on your websever. You paid for a webserver... not a dedicated server of any kind. Huge difference. Huge price difference.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    let us know how it turns out
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1798786:date=Sep 16 2010, 11:05 AM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Sep 16 2010, 11:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798786"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->let us know how it turns out<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am waiting to get a copy of their AUP since I couldn't find it anywhere on my own. What exactly am I looking for? I'm guessing it will say either A) No Game Servers or B) You are not allowed to install software to the remote machine.

I have to pay 10 bucks a year for shell access if I'm going to attempt this. And of course I won't do it unless it sounds like I can. I'm not trying to break the law here. I wonder if I need a Dedicated IP or not? Does the Dedicated Server handle keeping a constant IP? *curious*

Cheers,
    Cody
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Web space being sold is usually just webspace; not game servers. I'd just ask your web host if they allow game servers with SSH.

You may be interested in buying a VPS instead - you can run anything (legal) on them, such as game servers.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    lol, good luck.

You can buy a VPS, but seriously, it's probably better just to get a dedicated gaming server rather than run a website and gaming server on the same... er server.

Games servers have a lot more downtime than web servers (due to having to restart for whatever reason).

In your case though.... forget it.
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    while your at it, they told you it was unlimited, so you mine as well get 3-4 natural selection servers.
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro-->Spam deleted, thanks Plasma.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited September 2010
    I seriously doubt that, I cant think of any host that would allow you to run an application on shared hosting.
    Few reasons,
    If the app crashes the server.
    Takes up all the CPU or RAM
    Introduces a security hole and compromises security of other users websites on the box.

Your barking up the wrong tree and need to rent your own Dedicated server or VPS (Cheaper).