Infestation

gungunxgungunx Join Date: 2010-08-04 Member: 73474Members
edited August 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
What about infesting marines by kharaa and playing as infested marine or hybrid ?

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Kinda defeats the point of marines vs aliens if the aliens get access to a marine class.

Either it handles like a marine in which case it breaks the asymmetry, or it handles like an alien in which case it's an onos or skulk without either of their special abilities.
  • gungunxgungunx Join Date: 2010-08-04 Member: 73474Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1792509:date=Aug 6 2010, 09:35 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 6 2010, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kinda defeats the point of marines vs aliens if the aliens get access to a marine class.

Either it handles like a marine in which case it breaks the asymmetry, or it handles like an alien in which case it's an onos or skulk without either of their special abilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

well as you are an infested marine you are neither marine nor alien , kinda walking zombie.

a hybrid could be an evolved form of a infested marine , something that shoots biological projectiles
    <!--quoteo(post=1792511:date=Aug 6 2010, 09:38 PM:name=gungunx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gungunx @ Aug 6 2010, 09:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->well as you are an infested marine you are neither marine nor alien , kinda walking zombie.

a hybrid could be an evolved form of a infested marine , something that shoots biological projectiles<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A zombie handles like an alien, based around melee and resilient, basically like an onos without any of its special abilities.

A zombie that shoots handles like a marine, walking around on the floor shooting green bullets at the aliens.
  • PsympleJesterPsympleJester Join Date: 2008-04-06 Member: 64024Members
    edited August 2010
    How about you go and make another 100 threads about new races and classes Gungunx?
    Or... Download a free trial of a 3d Graphics package...

And ATTEMPT to model something like this...
    WAIT WAIT WAIT...

It gets harder... after you model it...
    You gotta RIG THE ######....
    THEN!!!!!!!!! THEN!!!!!

STAY WITH ME GUNGUNX!!!!!!!!
    KEEP READING!!!!!!!!!

Then you have to animate it, which involves either hand animation or hiring a MOCAP if its a human charicter...

Then... you have to check all your animation starts and ends at the same pose.
    Then you have set up animation trees with all your animations linked together for the charicter...
    Then you have to check all the animation trees!!

Then you have to fix bugs...

Then you have to make weapons and weapon animations and thread them into the trees
    Then you have to make special effects for any of its attacks/shots!
    Then you have to make sounds for its special effects for any of its attacks/shots!

Then you have to RE ARRANGE THE ENTIRE GAME FOR THIS NEW CHANGE...

Have fun attempting this...
    I bet you cant even model it......

Edit:

Bah I forgot UVmapping, texturing, bumpmapping, transparancy mapping, reflectivity mapping, glowmapping, enviroment mapping..... and all the process of design...
  • gungunxgungunx Join Date: 2010-08-04 Member: 73474Members
    edited August 2010
    u mad?

i'm not making a game ,
    i didnt create suggestion forum to post suggestions
    i don't care how long it would take or not to model skin etc.
    i can't model and i didn't come here to model , umad.
    If i would be making a game where i would be earning profit i would be listening to people.

you bashing me for suggestions on suggestions forum , mmmmkay.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    How about this:

Infestation slowly kills you unless you have a certain type of upgrade that stops it.
    Like the <b>Electric Charged</b> armour in Alien Swarm (But doesn't do damage to things that hit you, like skulk bite)
  • rofldinhorofldinho Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68259Members
    edited August 2010
    At first I thought this was a horrible idea. But then thinking about it properly, I think it's absolutely brilliant if it does include being able to use Marine weapons.

Before immediately knocking this entire idea, imagine how it would work first. The player who is the marine dies and respawns, it's NOT like L4D's jockey where you're immobilised and watching yourself being controlled by someone else. When taking over, that marine could change colours, have Khaara textures on his skin as well as having the skin deformed or bloated, and would have the same Health as a standard marine (or maybe what he had when he was taken over, possibly less due to the take-over technique, e.g. a bite).

This would add a whole new dynamic to the game, a new dimension almost. Not only would marines have to look out for aliens, but they might have to shoot one of their own, a "rogue" marine, to save themselves. I'm sure a 'rogue' Marine using a Grenade Launcher or HMG against his own team could be quite damaging briefly for the Marines. It also means Marines would have to be a bit more careful and less inclined to go solo, especially if they've bought an upgraded weapon, as otherwise if they run off on their own it might mean the Khaara get to use that weapon against the Marines.

Furthermore, it would add something additional for the Commander to look out for, because maybe if he drops ammo or med packs, this rogue Marine can pick them up (thereby wasting some resources from the Marines)? I also think if the rogue Marine can run away, the Gorge can heal him (with the downside to this being that the rogue Marine can't replenish his ammo unless he can get to an ammo pack dropped by the marine Commander).

The natural check/balance would be that only standard marines can be taken over like this, not Heavies, and because of that they have whatever HP they had when taken over, meaning a few Marines would quickly kill the "alien" Marine. Another check would be to make the taking over process slightly difficult, or slightly time consuming, so you're not instantly taking over on contact. Maybe a slow "bite" or something followed by insertion into the marine, with it being possible for his teammates to kill the Khaara as it's going in (so this is more of a sneak attack move, not something you do in plain sight of a group of marines).

This could be done with a new Khaara class as well, off the top of my head maybe a snake like creature which inserts itself and then wraps itself around the marine's body (inside the skin), leading to the bulging and change in colour.

It would be a similar concept to The Thing, although without the "not knowing who is infected" part. And a bit like TF2's Spy in terms of staying on the peripherals and using sneak attacks to pick players off. It could lead to very fun gameplay.

I like it, and it would be something new, which is partly what NS2 is all about.
  • BRICEBRICE Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72453Members
    make it like in gloom with 10hp or less x) the leech infestator
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1792834:date=Aug 8 2010, 03:59 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Aug 8 2010, 03:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792834"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about this:

Infestation slowly kills you unless you have a certain type of upgrade that stops it.
    Like the <b>Electric Charged</b> armour in Alien Swarm (But doesn't do damage to things that hit you, like skulk bite)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Given that alien swarm parasites have singlehandedly removed all possible joy from the game for me, I'd really rather nothing so incredibly lame was in NS2.
  • veronicaveronica Join Date: 2010-08-08 Member: 73530Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1792978:date=Aug 8 2010, 11:04 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 8 2010, 11:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Given that alien swarm parasites have singlehandedly removed all possible joy from the game for me, I'd really rather nothing so incredibly lame was in NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

huh?
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1792978:date=Aug 9 2010, 01:04 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 9 2010, 01:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792978"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Given that alien swarm parasites have singlehandedly removed all possible joy from the game for me, I'd really rather nothing so incredibly lame was in NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fail haha
    <!--quoteo(post=1793049:date=Aug 9 2010, 06:12 AM:name=veronica)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veronica @ Aug 9 2010, 06:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->huh?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Having something that kills you unless you have the item that doesn't is amazingly cheap and annoying.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    We should make the infested marine have a suicide attack where they blow up and cause massive damage. (Then we wouldn't have to give it to the skulk).
  • Donner & BlitzenDonner & Blitzen Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70879Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793206:date=Aug 9 2010, 07:29 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Aug 9 2010, 07:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793206"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having something that kills you unless you have the item that doesn't is amazingly cheap and annoying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's why you kill them first...
  • salorsalor Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26771Members
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    surely is summer###### in here..

i feel like ran over by 4chan reading those brainfarts and responses..srsly
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1793637:date=Aug 12 2010, 10:30 AM:name=salor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (salor @ Aug 12 2010, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->worse.idea.ever<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Worst. Spelling. Ever.

Also, the idea's been mentioned before in these forums. But I agree, it is a bad idea.

Btw guys, I assume he's talking about Alien Swarm parasites, and that he should have capitalised it. Alien Swarm is a free Valve game available through Steam.
    Chris, easy solution: Flamethrower. Kill it before it kills you. Flamethrower is the single greatest weapon in that game.
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1793322:date=Aug 10 2010, 03:10 PM:name=Donner & Blitzen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Donner & Blitzen @ Aug 10 2010, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's why you kill them first...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's still amazingly cheap and annoying. Throwing in random 1 hit kill enemies is really really stupid.

<!--quoteo(post=1793670:date=Aug 12 2010, 07:26 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 12 2010, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793670"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Flamethrower is the single greatest weapon in that game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Which is a problem in and of itself.
    Well, it's not a powerful weapon, damage-wise, but it's the most useful and efficient. Burst fire into places you can't see. It's good for speedruns or combined with melee strikes.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I think the idea's interesting. Imagine, a Marine dying on Dynamic Infestation turns into an NPC infested trooper for the Alien Commander to use as reinforcement for Alien players.

As a playable class I don't support, but as a bonus mechanic it has potential.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    NS is already quite a complicated game, and idea like this might be spreading toothpaste on the pizza.

I won't pass judgement on 'infested marines' as an idea, other than to point out that there is something to be said for simplicity in any game.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    This is like the gorge suit idea someone mocked up. *angry face shaking head*
  • AhabAhab Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7851Members
    edited September 2010
    Ok, what about this one:
    1) One alien race has the ability to let some kind of headcrab go around in 1st person vision and attack marines while it hides itself somewhere on the map.
    2) If the headcrab is able to jump into the face of a marine with a lethal strike, maybe because the marine was low on hp, it can control the marine for a limited time before he dies.
    3) The hp of the undead marine runs out constantly and must of course be balanced and may be upgraded. He can neither reload nor pick up any supply. He can only walk, switch weapons and empty his guns. He may be healed by fellow aliens though to sustain his lifetime.
    4) The outer appearance of the undead marine changes over time. At first he looks almost normal but then disintegrates and maybe lose limbs etc. to definitely limit his lifetime.
    5) If the controlling alien is killed, it loses control of the headcrab and the undead marine drops dead.

I think this would be very cool. There wouldn't be many balance issues because the undead marine cant live forever and especially cant attack for an unlimited time except with his knife which is fine. Also it is very likely that he'd control a marine with nearly empty main gun because the marine is likely to defend himself before he is controlled. The controlling alien also has the weakness of being defenseless, maybe it has a small vision of whats going on at his location in the corner of the screen. It can cut the connection to the headcrab at anytime but then the headcrab dies. The headcrab must not be too mobile so the alien has to move near the frontier and has to trade safety against mobility. The marines have the diffcult task to find out wether or not someone has become undead. (Have you ever seen THE THING? ;-)))) It would make solo marines so much more uncomfortable because they can easily be converted without being seen and then the undead annoy their teammates :D

What do you think?!
  • AlmightyNuAlmightyNu Join Date: 2004-06-27 Member: 29572Members
    Okay, I've got it, so you make this alien class which is some sort of human infested and mutated by the kharaa. It'd be roughly humanoid, but maybe a bit taller, and with long spiked claws instead of hands. Ooh! And let it shoot acid and have this move where it vanishes from one place and then reappears somewhere nearby... Yeah, that'd be nifty.
    <!--quoteo(post=1798906:date=Sep 18 2010, 03:11 AM:name=AlmightyNu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AlmightyNu @ Sep 18 2010, 03:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798906"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, I've got it, so you make this alien class which is some sort of human infested and mutated by the kharaa. It'd be roughly humanoid, but maybe a bit taller, and with long spiked claws instead of hands. Ooh! And let it shoot acid and have this move where it vanishes from one place and then reappears somewhere nearby... Yeah, that'd be nifty.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ludicrous. What kind of self-respecting game designer would ever implement such a thing?!
    edited September 2010
    "Ludicrous. What kind of self-respecting game designer would ever implement such a thing?!"

I guess you nearly got the whole joke. Except for the fact that it was a joke. But never mind, i didn't like it eather.

@AlmightyNu: I dont know whose comment you wanted to make fun of but if it was mine have a look back at my suggestion. The idea is very simple. I just tried to think it to the end.
    Uhhh... you couldn't see the sarcasm/irony in what I said?
    [/sigh]
    Seems we are going off the topic here. Goodbye.
  • cazoofoocazoofoo Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74088Members
    Swiftly bringing this back on-topic... How about, this could be a alien commander tool that allows it to directly affect the battle-field and support its players in combat? If a marine dies near infested ground or an alien building the commander may spend a small amount of resource into turning the corpse into a controllable unit. It would be melee, not too fast nor that slow and have mediocre health. Would be a useful and interesting tool that adds new layers of depth and strategy in my opinion.