Skulk leap an upgrade?

PhaetonPhaeton Join Date: 2008-05-03 Member: 64203Members
I was looking over the forums but I can't see any thread asking if you all think that making the skulk leap an upgrade is a good idea. I always thought it was the right second hive upgrade. A couple good alien players with leap right off the bat will own most marines just as with early fades in NS1. I don't know if it is overpowered in NS2 because it always is too laggy for me to play :S Thoughts?

Comments

• SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Its all in the Twitter Discussion Thread
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1803940:date=Oct 31 2010, 03:16 PM:name=Phaeton)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phaeton @ Oct 31 2010, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1803940"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was looking over the forums but I can't see any thread asking if you all think that making the skulk leap an upgrade is a good idea. I always thought it was the right second hive upgrade. A couple good alien players with leap right off the bat will own most marines just as with early fades in NS1. I don't know if it is overpowered in NS2 because it always is too laggy for me to play :S Thoughts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I am undecided about that. Leap proved to be a very valuable ability to me countless of times.
    In the right hands it can even break a game, to me this feels like having marines buy their pistols every respawn, tho.
    But that's only if that upgrade doesnt carry over between spawn, of course.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    edited October 2010
    I was fine with not having leap from the start in NS2, but waiting for the second hive sometimes was too much and skulk became rather useless in "last stand situations" [which made last stands a frustrating slow death as Aliens]

Having leap as a commander triggered upgrade seems like a good idea to try. Are any tech tree images for NS2 floating around? Would like to see what it looks like at the moment.

<!--quoteo(post=1803943:date=Oct 31 2010, 09:37 AM:name=SgtBarlow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtBarlow @ Oct 31 2010, 09:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1803943"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its all in the Twitter Discussion Thread<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The hell with that thread when it comes to discussing any given topic. You can't carry a decent discussion in there. I salute people how start a separate thread when appropriate, like now.
  • salorsalor Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26771Members
    Leap as an upgrade sounds great. Its only alpha..so we can try it now, even if it only sounds good on paper but not rather practicle...we can change it.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I think most maps will have a relatively close second tech point for each team, making tier two much more common than 2 hives in NS1. So I don't think requiring it to be tier 2 is bad at all.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I would rather have the leap upgradeable in general
    and start with a leap of some sorts.

or give the vanilla skulk something else in his pocket to use.
  • AssassinTeddyAssassinTeddy Join Date: 2010-10-31 Member: 74694Members
    Posted this in the twitter discussion but it'll probably just get missed so here's my idea for the skulk leap.
    ----
    I've always seen the leap to only make the skulk overpowered when they can have a lot of uses of it, single use every now and then becomes an excellent movement option without becoming as op... Was thinking maybe instead of removing the skulk leap in the early game, each hive could decrease the energy usage of it.

So, at the start of the game each leap would use say 2/3 - 3/4 of the skulks energy, creating a few seconds between each possible leap and very little energy for attacking immediately. As more hives come in the energy cost could lower allowing them to leap more often and attack quicker/more after leaping.
  • rofldinhorofldinho Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68259Members
    In favour of making Leap an upgrade. This way for the early-game, skulks will need to work together in packs to bring down the marines, rather than going in Rambo-style and flying all over the place.

At the same time though, leap needs to be a more worthwhile upgrade. I think it should do a considerable amount of bonus damage to a marine if the skulk connects with a well timed leap (so I'm referring to connecting with the marine at the end cycle of the leap). In real life something flying at you at that speed would surely inflict damage on its own? Maybe something like 30 HP.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    should be a first action decision, like drop a crag on a hotspot, supported by a gorge placing hydras (eg double res) or starting the skulk leap upgrade...

i am not sure when it should strike in, but i think seconds after the first contact, so if some skulks survive the could do some pressure in the marine base
    or if not, they are faster at their res nodes and could try to protect em from being minced :)
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Have Leap available about 5 minutes into the game if you aim for 15 minutes average rounds.
  • PhaetonPhaeton Join Date: 2008-05-03 Member: 64203Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1804078:date=Nov 1 2010, 08:14 PM:name=rofldinho)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rofldinho @ Nov 1 2010, 08:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804078"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In favour of making Leap an upgrade. This way for the early-game, skulks will need to work together in packs to bring down the marines, rather than going in Rambo-style and flying all over the place.

At the same time though, leap needs to be a more worthwhile upgrade. I think it should do a considerable amount of bonus damage to a marine if the skulk connects with a well timed leap (so I'm referring to connecting with the marine at the end cycle of the leap). In real life something flying at you at that speed would surely inflict damage on its own? Maybe something like 30 HP.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I like the idea of when your leaping and biting doing a bit more damage maybe like 5 or 10 more. But no the actual leap doing 30 damage is insanely too much. In NS1 it was like what 1 or 2 damage? If it was 30 why even bite? Just jump at them!
  • LivoniaLivonia Join Date: 2010-07-24 Member: 72744Members
    Natural evolution... let the skulk evolve the ability after 30-90 seconds of staying alive. Those that throw their life away simply do not have time to evolve leap. I don't think it needs to be added into the tech tree just yet. A simple cooldown if anything i'm sure would surfice, 30 seconds cooldown would stop any over use surely. Using what someone said above, every hive could reduce the cooldown.

Keep brain storming people.
  • General_L33tGeneral_L33t Join Date: 2010-09-21 Member: 74115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1804140:date=Nov 1 2010, 11:39 PM:name=Livonia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Livonia @ Nov 1 2010, 11:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804140"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Natural evolution... let the skulk evolve the ability after 30-90 seconds of staying alive. Those that throw their life away simply do not have time to evolve leap. I don't think it needs to be added into the tech tree just yet. A simple cooldown if anything i'm sure would surfice, 30 seconds cooldown would stop any over use surely. Using what someone said above, every hive could reduce the cooldown.

Keep brain storming people.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^This, except why not expand it to all of the early game alien abilities, and then have an upgrade for instant abilities early on. To balance give marines less ammo at the start and make them pick it up at the armory, then give them an early game upgrade to give full ammo on spawn. This could give some very diverse starting battles.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1804140:date=Nov 2 2010, 12:39 AM:name=Livonia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Livonia @ Nov 2 2010, 12:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804140"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Natural evolution... let the skulk evolve the ability after 30-90 seconds of staying alive. Those that throw their life away simply do not have time to evolve leap. I don't think it needs to be added into the tech tree just yet. A simple cooldown if anything i'm sure would surfice, 30 seconds cooldown would stop any over use surely. Using what someone said above, every hive could reduce the cooldown.

Keep brain storming people.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can see it now:

"We're losing double! NSPlayer, get your ass over there with the rest of the team!"

"wait a sec, I don't have leap yet"
    *goes in late, dies alone*

byebye double
  • LivoniaLivonia Join Date: 2010-07-24 Member: 72744Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1804213:date=Nov 2 2010, 07:28 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Nov 2 2010, 07:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can see it now:

"We're losing double! NSPlayer, get your ass over there with the rest of the team!"

"wait a sec, I don't have leap yet"
    *goes in late, dies alone*

byebye double<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Perhaps gaining it atfer a kill or two instead?
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1804228:date=Nov 2 2010, 04:43 PM:name=Livonia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Livonia @ Nov 2 2010, 04:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1804228"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps gaining it atfer a kill or two instead?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Or just have it automatically research for the entire alien team after 2-3 minutes.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Honestly i think skulk leap should be an upgrade, but not that hard of one to get. I think it should either be an initial tier 1 upgrade that the alien commander has to research at the start of the round that takes 90 or so seconds to finish. That way marine team has about a 2 minute grace period and the aliens have to invest recourses and time into a considerably vital upgrade. It will also make the aliens have to wait for alternative upgrades just like the marines have to wait a long time to get to the second tier. Another possibility is to have to wait until a second hive which in this new case in NS2, is normal, now its expected for both teams to claim a second base early in the round with the new system for unlocking new tiers of technology. That way the aliens have to wait for the hive to finish constructing which takes only a few minutes and then its up to the alien commander what he thinks is the best choice for the team.

Just my 2 cents.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    Sounds a little bit like how zergling speed is handled in SC1/SC2.

If NS2 keeps copying Blizzard, I approve.
  • PhaetonPhaeton Join Date: 2008-05-03 Member: 64203Members
    Ok well nvm. Seems they will make it a researchable upgrade. I approve.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    I agree with it. Both teams should start out vanilla. Building second hive/comm chair is a lot quicker than NS1.

With leap on tram, you would have a skulk rush every game. It gets you through the level in a quarter of the time.

I think it will promote team work early on (you can't go rambo as much) and give an even early rush experience if teams choose to. That or a chance for marines to get sentry tech up and running.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Skulk is clumsy, without leap its even clumsier the movement is going to need reworking :(

At least it will be plainly clear after we get to play.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1805141:date=Nov 10 2010, 11:08 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Nov 10 2010, 11:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1805141"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulk is clumsy, without leap its even clumsier the movement is going to need reworking :(

At least it will be plainly clear after we get to play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, if the skulk really does turn out to be overly clumsy, at least we'll have the opportunity to see it now. I agree that the skulk doesn't "feel" like it moves as freely as it did in NS1. It doesn't keep its momentum quite as well in NS2, imo. Seems to stop harder and doesn't feel as loose, especially when changing directions.
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    I think there's a few consideration points for this ability.

1. Is leap a necessary ability for a skulk, does he need it to survive.

2. How much skill does it take to utilize this move in a offensive way. Is it too easy to use and own marines with.

If marines set up properly to defend there base at the start leaping skulks shouldn't be much of a problem with 6 of them shooting at them. I feel as fast as the game is right now having it upgradeable isn't completely warranted.

I don't really see any need for a cool down for skulks, they should be completely energy management based. It already takes a lot of energy to use it and if you are biting and missing you can really spam it. Raises the skill cap IMO a good player would realize how much damage he could do before he decides to retreat. I think that's sort of where the balance issue is most at play how much energy the abilities cost.

I'm really biased against aliens. I hate them all. <3 visions.