Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 154 released (Havok, new UI)

Comments

• WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1806016:date=Nov 17 2010, 01:24 AM:name=Avalon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avalon @ Nov 17 2010, 01:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Made a server, no issues to report there. Disconnected, went and made a LAN server, ran some fraps benchmarks. I can say that occlusion has been fixed, as in the ready room if I stand up against a back wall and look at a wall across the room, I get 32fps. I walk face first into the wall, that shoots up to 46fps. Previously, there would be no change in FPS if I planted my face into a wall as opposed to looking at a more difficult scene.

Overall fps seems to be much higher, but there is a lot of frame stuttering that is dragging my average fps down to build 153 levels. The game feels much faster but the stuttering is pretty bad.

No network issues to speak of yet. I noticed all weapon sounds play twice. Also, muzzle flash doesn't come from the tip of your gun if you're strafing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol it's funny because the sound event is fixed to the firing spot instead of moving with the player, so you can run around firing, stop, and then slowly hear your rifle shots fading in the distance.
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also changing the resolution and settings from minimum to maximum makes relatively little difference, I think you guys should figure out some more effective ways to down-tweak the settings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A bit troubling, however, this should alleviate some frustrations and remove the "can't perceive other flaws because of this major one".

Also looking forward to NS2HD's vid for this new patch.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I... (pause) think... (pause) there are... (pause) some... (pause) serious... (hitch) stuttering... (pause) issues with the... (pause) game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ok, so there's stuttering. Have you posted this to the feedback site? If its a huge issue, it's gonna take precedent of the work, I bet.

What system specs are ppl using - that have stuttering issues? Perhaps more specific details of client PC architecture can help them narrow down the problem.
    I say this, as I notice in NS2HD's vids, that his game runs quite well, and can even sit in the comm chair without it looking like 6 fps - perhaps there is a link to hardware and software?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    - Better FPS
    - Chat system is instant and not laggy anymore
    - Power node atmospheric effects look cool
    - Armory is much better

Still having some significant network problems, especially when hitting 8+ players. Every patch seems to get a little bit better for the most part.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    btw, commander interface is so sexy smooth now. No more laggy MACs.

it's like a dream come true!

###### you, gameswf. ###### you so much.
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Every patch seems to get a little bit better for the most part.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1 Agree
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Make sure stuttering is not a result of heavy texture loads, Lower your settings to low if your GPU memoy 'is' / 'less than' 512 MB, Medium 'is' / 'greater' than 756MB
    Once your running a comfortable setting your good to go for some more accurate feedback.

Cheers
  • DrfuzzyDrfuzzy FEW... MORE.... INCHES... Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21094Members
    edited November 2010
    Think the stuttering issues are related to loading, I notice that it stops for a bit when I warp from one area to another (ready room then join a team, etc)
    /e ah barlow beat me to the punch.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited November 2010
    Ok I just downloaded and load my map ns2_thedron.
    Everything works fine with AMD FX57, 3GB, Nvidia 8800GT.
    Settings are; 1280x768 Windowed mode, High Detailed. (Also Middle , Rid. Low are fine)

I have no flickering or shadow problems. I found that there are much more improvements in shadows and works fine.
    Normaly some shadows were away from the bottom of an object but now fine. These shadows seems much more real then previous ones in high detail mode.

Game is a bit faster now generally at simple corridors but before entering big rooms with high details including lights and many shadows game is being a bit laggy then the previous v153.

ns2_thedron is now much more better and a bit faster :)

Thank you UWE, keep working.

PS: May be problems are about GPU (ATI) and modes at ridiculously low or middle
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806008:date=Nov 17 2010, 05:02 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Nov 17 2010, 05:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806008"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The FPS is decent on paper now, running around alone shooting eggs etc I never dip below 20 now. The game always feels like it's running at half that though, there seem to be a lot of skipped frames and stuttering that isn't reflected in the number at all. Sometimes it chugs heavily but most of the time it's just an underlying stuttering. Also changing the resolution and settings from minimum to maximum makes relatively little difference, I think you guys should figure out some more effective ways to down-tweak the settings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Interesting. If anything, I felt it went the other way round for me.

FPS is still pretty low, some 15 ish on my laptop, but it at least seemed more fluent now. I was also sensing a bit reduced input lag. I could be seeing and feeling things though. FPS 15 is quite a bit my usual limit of playability, so I might only be getting used to it now.

Still, the last few patches have felt a lot better for me. I'm actually starting to see glimpses of the game here and there, which feels encouraging and interesting.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    So far, this is my list.

1. FPS up by an average of 8fps (rubber-banding has made a return) more players the more slide-show effect but still steady at 25-30 FPS. odd.
    2. Server.exe crashed 2X so far
    3. Editor Perspective view goes black when selecting move tool after selecting prop/lights (only on props/lights, everything else seems okay). Level saves okay and re-loads fine with black window view. This happened every now and then in build 153 and i figured it was just memory usage but it seems to happen every time in 154.
    4. No ricochet on textured faces (missing materials or ricochet animation?) no errors showing in console for it.
    5. If it makes a difference i connected to NSArmory Build 154 server before i updated my client. (i dunno, but it happened)
  • mattoXmattoX Join Date: 2007-08-01 Member: 61739Members
    edited November 2010
    Hi forums!

In regard to the dev team, keep it up guys your doing awesome, there is nothing better then chasing a passion and making it a reality... A good movie for motivation is and i'm sure you've already seen 'The Social Network' ... I think it really shows the importance of what people are capable of.

Towards the people who banter, its great to see you guys care so much that negative words flow from your mouths!

The game is coming along really nicely, i'm sure there is a great amount of work being done and yet to do, and i have faith you guys will do an extremely amazing job and blow minds. Its great to see how you all encounter problems and solve them in a great means of logic and understanding, keep up the good work... Looking forwards to see more updates to come. Ya'll in ma prayers. :)

Matt.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2010
    My initial impressions are framerate improvements, but slightly less stable networking than B153. The FPS improvements are very exciting, hopefully alot of people who haven't yet been able to run the alpha will be able to run it now.

EDIT: B154 Gameplay now live: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qf7eigsnS0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qf7eigsnS0</a>

Probably most relevant to people unable to play Alpha atm, as I don't explore features.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    Oclussion culling works better, now when you look to a wall fps increases, but in general they are still very low and stuttering is still there.
  • Iced_EagleIced_Eagle Borg Engineer Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14218Members
    I swear I'm starting to see the green pastures on the other side! While there's definitely still net code issues to be worked out, it's starting to feel a bit more solid every patch.

Haven't experienced any connectivity issues really (only tried a few servers, and all worked). I did experience past issues with connections with the NSArmory servers (seemingly only them), but I can connect fine now I believe.

I gotta say though, can't wait for some of the alien upgrades. They definitely get the short end of the stick it feels :P No good counters (and the only potential one, hydras, crashes the server eventually).

Can't wait for the next patch! While I would love a weekly patch, I'm sure bi-weekly is more likely. :)
  • MartinMartin Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73229Members
    edited November 2010
    I'm going to keep a close eye on runtime issues that arise, I did complete reinstalls on the servers. We will see what happens from there. Post a comment on our forums if you have issues with our servers ;) . Also the servers were crashing earlier due to just shear volume of connections. As soon as I patched the servers we were getting connections almost instantly, nearly 1-4 every second. At one time 8 connections occurred within the first second.

In the below link it is mentioned that after about 10 minutes with 8+ slots the server starts to crash, this was happening with great frequency as each server was full.

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=111423&view=findpost&p=1806046" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...t&p=1806046</a>
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Things have improved a lot for me, there is a noticeable increase in FPS. I still really feel the effects of online play, and having more than a few models on screen just seems to take it out of my computer. More than a few players and there are still issues. The commander seems to have become smoother somehow, but is still quite jerky when looking round the map.

The user interface of the commander (despite some minor changes) I still see in a negative light.

But like others have said, you can 'feel' that it has improved performance wise.
  • OroxOrox Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33139Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    My FPS are still stucked at 15-20 max with my 8800GT, haven't noticed any improvements for me... :/
    Alt-Tab makes the game all black too.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Almost non-existant fps improvement, armory screen works better. Above 6-8 players laggy as well

Bottomline not much closer to playable.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited November 2010
    It takes 4 Minutes after i connect to a server to see the Ready room and it crashs a lot.
    I know its a alpha, but 4 Minutes loading time to connect to a server without any information is very ... bad.
    And what ever i did, the game crashs after i join a team.
    I can't belive why its crashing and you don't notice it, is it only happend to me?
    Yes its a alpha, but can you not show some loading bar or something?
    And the game takes ages to start, the first release was very fast to load.
    Anyway can't wait to play the retail final game :-)
    a old NaSe 1 fan (played over a year!)
  • SHAFTTHEGIMPSHAFTTHEGIMP Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58592Members
    edited November 2010
    im very happy, no more sticky keys

its still laggy as hell, but i had a few games and got some kills

9600gt sli

runs pretty well i guses but yeh the lags so bad you still get lost trying to kill things

I love the power grids, but i dont like the hive site thats allways on them

id like to point out that when the lags fixed this games is going to be joy

its even fun 1 v 1 which shows how well the tech design works

btw lol at you guys with 8 fps
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
    My fps went from 20 to ~35 but now there is the insane lag problem
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    my fps improved by 20-30% (r_stats 1)
    on map 20-30 which is playable but not enjoyable.
    in fights on the other hand, fps tends to get a bit slowed.

but GREAT WORK UWE-guys!
    i never lost faith, keep it up!

edit:
    oh yeah,
    intel c2d e6850@3.6
    gtx480
    asus p5n-e sli (650i)
    4GB
    w7-64
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806065:date=Nov 17 2010, 06:48 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Nov 17 2010, 06:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806065"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My initial impressions are framerate improvements, but slightly less stable networking than B153. The FPS improvements are very exciting, hopefully alot of people who haven't yet been able to run the alpha will be able to run it now.

EDIT: B154 Gameplay now live: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qf7eigsnS0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qf7eigsnS0</a>

Probably most relevant to people unable to play Alpha atm, as I don't explore features.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahaha... That's my voice and flamethrower halfway through the video.
  • BloodhouseBloodhouse Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72369Members
    Spare a thought for us who have 0 FPS because their mother-in-law is staying in the spare room where the pc is tonight!
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I get a few FPS more (maybe 5 or so).

The new UI is tiny, even at 1024 x 768 (which is what I play at). Please make it bigger, or adjustable, or something.

Cheers,
    Cody
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    If you think your UI is off, can you e-mail screenshots to marc@unitedworlds.co.uk - note its <u>United</u>worlds not Unknown for my address ;)
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    fps is really nice now, but still not playable (laggy like hell) i was on a server with 10 peoples, i guess it crashed in the end
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    Cant you guys make the flamethrower some kind of "yellow/red smoke" improved effect, instead of bad 2D texture that seems like a 20years old game ?
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806110:date=Nov 17 2010, 09:20 PM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Nov 17 2010, 09:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cant you guys make the flamethrower some kind of "yellow/red smoke" improved effect, instead of bad 2D texture that seems like a 20years old game ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Im quite confident that UWE will fix that later on, say in beta, when there isnt as much broken stuff in the game (like the poor framerates and heavy lagging).
    Right now it seems quite low-prio to fix some shabby textures.
  • DrakoDrako Join Date: 2009-06-30 Member: 67980Members
    Wow - finally i can play ( nfrom ~20fps to ~30fps) but only if there are not more than 6 players on the servers.

Fade is soooooo much fun to play now - mainly because of the intuitive controls - well its bit overpowered for it being invisible :-D
    But its best against a flamethrower wielding marine killing you as skulk in less than a second.
    The Flamethrower is really overpowered against all small aliens it definately needs to do less damage on those. and its pretty hard to escape without seeing anything the flamethrower damage effect should be transparent. Well a bug I came in touch with while fighting against a flamethrower was that i didn't stop burning when i respawned.

greetz Drako