Ummmm.... Lets not get carried away

Apollonius999Apollonius999 Join Date: 2009-09-09 Member: 68725Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Playable or Unplayable</div>Is it really playable? Fps is higher, completely unstable and causes jittery. Server side code is either flunk or can't handle the entities unless its like 8 max players. Also is the the server single threaded or multi-threaded? One core was getting blasted while memory was being eaten till no tomorrow.

The game turns to a slide show with multiple entities in view in multiplayer even with low player counts.

I'm running a hexacore with a 3.7GHZ oc
4 gigs ram
w7
and an hd 5970

All i'm reading is the game is great....BUTTTTT "connection issues", "server crashes", and the list goes on.... Being creative with updates and releases is one thing. Games like any other thing, food, ect... Comes down to this.

1 bad experience spreads to 25 sets of ears. 1 good experiences might possibly hit 5-8.

I give credit for getting this far. But while the game is more playable, not even completely or close to fully playable. Steps before leaps and bounds.

Comments

• OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    With some small bugs here and there I would call the game playable.

I run a dual core 2.6ghz with a 8800gts 512mb and 6 gigs of ram on my rig. I am averaging about 25-35 FPS at 1600X900 medium detail. I only notice the game becoming unplayable when to many buildings are built...like mass Hydra spam or turret spam. Otherwise with up to 8 players the game is running smoothly. Obviously more optimization and work on the server stability needs to be done before we can see a 32 person server. But as of right now in it's current form I would call it a success.

Grats UWE for getting this far, I have high hopes the game is only going to get better with each patch. The fade is looking great and from my own experience the game is running smooth enough for now to give us some intense 4v4 action.
  • saikosaiko Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60588Members
    edited November 2010
    It was playable and fun prior to this patch, I haven't had a chance to get home and try it out but what are these leaps and bounds that you're expressing concern about?

Or, ummmmmmm did I miss the news announcement saying the game was going to be released for retail tomorrow?

EDIT: I just re-read it, you're expressing concern over UWE's use of the word <b>playable</b>.
    That fine sir, As i see it (in regards to alpha/beta or any non-retail product), is a matter of opinion. It could also 'possibly' be a problem with the server you were connected to.
  • StakhanovStakhanov Join Date: 2003-03-12 Member: 14448Members
    Being able to run around and press the fire button is not what I call playable. That would require basic stability , like not being dropped every 5 minutes. And clientside performance is still nothing to be satisfied with , in my case it turned even worse since last version.
    "beta" NS2 is certainly not playable the same way most of the alpha games I'm playing are.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    It is playable, the problem now is the memory leak on the server side which eventually crash the servers.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Definetly better, but not ready for the masses yet... not by a long shot.

This will go the way of that western game , Lead and Gold ... good initial response followed by game sucks I cant play it whine floods, by this stage then the slide downhill will be unstoppable.

I say it needs more tweaks and stabilisation before more players get introduced to it or the impressions will kill the game before it even makes the launch day.
    The major difference between a buggy modification and a buggy title is that players are willing to forgive and try out a modification, but wont be as forgiving if they actually forked out some cash for a title... so yes NS 1 was initially laggy and buggy, but it was a <b>free</b> modification.

Dont get me wrong, the game is going the right way and is definetly improving build by build but it is still too buggy for the masses... even a closed beta will drown us in the whine :P
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    If the memory leak is eliminated and connecting (or knowing if a server is full) is both faster and more reliable then it is ready for 10-12 player games on a good server.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Please try and remember that not everyone experiences the same problems, which is the downside of PC development as opposed to console development.

I jumped online at home last night and had 3 very smooth, completely fun and very playable games in a row, on 3 different servers, with around 8 people. Running fullscreen with high quality settings on a 2 year old computer.

Then I jumped on another server, with only 5 people, and the lag was horrible. So, unfortunately, as with most online PC games, the playability can vary dramatically, based on the players computer, specific settings, the server, and a whole host of other things. But a lot of people seem to assume that because the game is not playable for them, that it means its not playable for anyone, which is not true at all.

--Cory
  • Cyborg16Cyborg16 Join Date: 2006-11-18 Member: 58656Members
    Perhaps, however I've yet to find a server that was playable for more than around 5 minutes. Not had any framerate issues (except when I tried to play on my laptop), just connection...
  • HushHush Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72350Members
    The game is running fairly well for me. I'm only having issues with connection lag.

I did get a couple of decent rounds in where I could play as Fade.

Too much fun as a Fade, should be a crime. :D
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My verdict? Playable.

Lag issues are all over the place, and multiple sentries firing at once creates some ugly instability on the server. However, until that inevitable turret farm, my experience has been very playable. I had FUN.

Did I have to spend a few minutes finding a server I could get into? Yep. Once that was over, and with a little bit of patience, the game is playable.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    A bit more fps, fix fps drops, animation clumsiness off and its playable.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    For me it's not "playable" — as in being able to enjoy a game regardless of bugs. My FPS is still bad, but a decent improvement this patch.

I'm still worried about the engine ever performing well with all of those dynamic lights.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    The frame rate issues seem to be completely gone, while 154 stuttered like a brain damaged gerbil 155 runs as smoothly as a clam. However there is still network lag, at least for me. So every 5 seconds (when stuff is happening) the game will hang for a couple of seconds and then resume. While it is most certainly playable, it is not fun (at least not for more then 20 min). Is it possible that the lag is on my end? Is there any way to find out and if so fix it?
  • Apollonius999Apollonius999 Join Date: 2009-09-09 Member: 68725Members
    I really don't see the point in pushing a beta that is, "Well it's playable for some people."

The whole point of pc is making a generic middle ground for base specs. Not a program that works for "some" people. With the majority of whats being posted and the people who say it's playable. You have a very negative vibe that towers high over the "playable" experience.

Not saying the good experience are always the underdog. But in this scenario and playing on multiple servers. The negative experience is definitely there for a huge part of the community. Which gets less people attracted to the game.

If i can't play it, but some of my friends can. If someone asks me about the game, how do i tell them "you might be able to play it." Especially after mentioning my computer specs that should be overpowered for the game.

There is no way i can suggest them to buy in and join the party. It's like having a kegger with no beer. The party isn't there. You say playable, but only for a amount of the community. I'm assuming all of these people are using r_stats and other commands monitoring fps and what is actually going on. Not going by the fact of a megapub standards where it's normal for someone to stutter or lag around.

If you want more people buffing your game and bringing people in. It can't be playable only for some people. So it's "beta" for some people, but "alpha" for everyone else?
  • sicbudsicbud Join Date: 2009-07-08 Member: 68083Members
    I think it's obvious why they needed to push the beta. They needed more money.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    There are definitely still network issues but the local performance has gotten dramatically better for me compared to last patch. It's not amazing but it's certainly playable.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Some people are faring better than others, the chap who does the NS2HD videos for example seems to have been getting relatively good performance for a while, I on the other hand have barely noticed a change since the first release.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I noticed the same; his performance never seemed to hitch or lag at all - mine does, and I have a pretty good PC.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    Its fine for me too besides the memory leak server problem(every 2 games the server i play on crashes if full) and the hydra spam issue.
    Ok and its hard to join a server if a lot ppl are playing... everything is full... (if your firewall settings are right, your game cache integrity too, and the server got space... there is rarly a problem at all - but it seems playercount in the server list is sometimes wrong, or there is another issue...)

1080p Q6600@3Ghz GTX275 Win7 x64 with VerticalSync, tripplebuffering + Settings on high...

Just hit the 24h total time played in Steam. :) (~4h alone patch 155)
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    I get the occasional hitch, but my FPS is pretty strong with an average of 40FPS. That's with a $72 CPU and a $170 GPU at high settings -- nothing too fancy but new.

Let's not debate the meaning of "playable". It isn't one or the other. Some are having fun. Some can't get it to run. We don't have to boil that down to a single term.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Mmm wise words in this thread. I think it is all boiling down to the server at the moment. The performance I post is generally good, but I usually try to join 2 or 3 servers before settling on one that seems 'fresh.' I'm about to post gameplay I recorded on a GTS 450 as proof the game will run with a 'playable framerate' even on a $130 GPU.

There may also be a slight reporting bias occuring... Either way, compare B151 and B155 and it is night and day. Can't wait to hit B156 and thereafter ;)
  • DescentDescent Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73103Members
    To say I'm dissatisfied is an understatement. I played NS1 for years and honestly this isn't up to par.

Quad core Phenom 9500 OC'd to 2.4GHz, TLB Patch force disabled for max performance, a 2GB GTX 460 and the damn thing chugs on high.

"Playable" is not equal to "quality." ~20fps is not "Playable," sorry.

Sound has endless looping, constant connection issues, endless lag...

The Doom 3 Alpha's engine was not only more efficient, and had less bugs, but was far more playable, even on crappy hardware. If you hit the console key Carmack gave that build a version number of 0.02.

NS2 isn't in beta at all. It's still an alpha. And I think the community should be treated to more mature releases instead of having a rushed alpha, that we payed for, given to us.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1807350:date=Nov 20 2010, 02:43 AM:name=Descent)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Descent @ Nov 20 2010, 02:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807350"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To say I'm dissatisfied is an understatement. I played NS1 for years and honestly this isn't up to par.

Quad core Phenom 9500 OC'd to 2.4GHz, TLB Patch force disabled for max performance, a 2GB GTX 460 and the damn thing chugs on high.

"Playable" is not equal to "quality." ~20fps is not "Playable," sorry.

Sound has endless looping, constant connection issues, endless lag...

The Doom 3 Alpha's engine was not only more efficient, and had less bugs, but was far more playable, even on crappy hardware. If you hit the console key Carmack gave that build a version number of 0.02.

NS2 isn't in beta at all. It's still an alpha. And I think the community should be treated to more mature releases instead of having a rushed alpha, that we payed for, given to us.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

comparing id software to UWE isn't gonna get you very far man. think about what you're saying for a minute.

also, quick fix to boost fps some: turn shadows off. r_shadows false in the console.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    edited November 2010
    "Beta" is another term that's one big meaningless semantical debate. I encourage consistency between projects and development teams, but there never has been and probably never will be. The only meaningful part of calling build 155 a "beta" is that it gets the next batch of players testing and encourages more preorder funding.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1807027:date=Nov 19 2010, 09:58 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 19 2010, 09:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please try and remember that not everyone experiences the same problems, which is the downside of PC development as opposed to console development.

I jumped online at home last night and had 3 very smooth, completely fun and very playable games in a row, on 3 different servers, with around 8 people. Running fullscreen with high quality settings on a 2 year old computer.

Then I jumped on another server, with only 5 people, and the lag was horrible. So, unfortunately, as with most online PC games, the playability can vary dramatically, based on the players computer, specific settings, the server, and a whole host of other things. But a lot of people seem to assume that because the game is not playable for them, that it means its not playable for anyone, which is not true at all.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As true as all that may be, it won't matter a thing when people that are used to beta's like MoH/BC2 buy NS2 and end up with such a buggy mess.
    Heck even the keybindings still don't really work, there is still no way to bind the flashlight to any key so people that play with an ESDF setup run around turning their flashlight on/off all the time (i'm one of them). And that's just one of the many many things that scream "by far not finished" as soon as you startup the game which has nothing to do with individual computer specs. Releasing this as an beta is an really bad move imho...

I have yet to play a succesfull round and by that i mean a real round where something happens besides the IP/Hive dying. But this isn't really about me complaining that i can't play, i don't care about that i'm an patient guy. It's more that i fear for the future of the game when you slap a beta tag on it, put it on gametrailers and sell it while it's in no state at all to be enjoyed by an average random guy that never heard about NS before.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    edited November 2010
    its prolly because of my older hardware, but in all these "performance improvements" i havent noticed a single fps better than before. i get 10 fps max in the rr with all settings on low. im most likely getting a new video card before the game gets finalized, but i have a bad feeling my new dx11 card wont offer much improvement considering everyone talking about their high end systems getting sub-60 fps

im not expecting anything great on my current hardware, but i have higher system specs than the min and if UWE wants to deliver a playable experience on the specs they list, they have a LONG road ahead of them. and frankly, i think theyre gonna have to end up readjusting those min specs even after the beta is done
  • Ares550Ares550 Join Date: 2004-04-05 Member: 27741Members
    Alphas are typically played by a very niche crowd, if any of you are like me, you played NS1 and followed
    NS2 from the beginning, I happily donated, not expecting much of a playable game, and thats fine.

But NOW the game is publicized, its a beta, people are watching the videos and thinking about buying it.
    What happens when someone buys this and find it largely UNPLAYABLE, the typical gamer,
    you think he'll tell his friends he wasted his money? Damn right he will.

Im going to donate pretty soon...
    We need this to be SMOOTH pretty quick, before the people start talking about it.
  • DescentDescent Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73103Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807359:date=Nov 20 2010, 02:58 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Nov 20 2010, 02:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->comparing id software to UWE isn't gonna get you very far man. think about what you're saying for a minute.

also, quick fix to boost fps some: turn shadows off. r_shadows false in the console.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Um, yeah, it will. Version 0.02 of another commercial product was not only more playable, but had more content, a more refined engine, and a fraction of the bugs we see here.

id Software is a great comparison. They, like UWE, have a relatively small team. Unlike UWE, id Software is a crap studio that needs to ride on it's former glory to stay afloat.

I've always had high regards for UWE because from a design perspective, NS1 was the second most impressive game I've ever seen and the sixth best I've ever played. Only FreeSpace 2 was more impressive design wise. And only the original Unreal Tournament was superior as far as online play goes.

In other words, NS1 was a freaking amazing game.

So is it any wonder I feel burned by these unplayable builds?
  • SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807258:date=Nov 20 2010, 12:00 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 20 2010, 12:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807258"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some people are faring better than others, the chap who does the NS2HD videos for example seems to have been getting relatively good performance for a while, I on the other hand have barely noticed a change since the first release.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can see that even on one server - there's a nice example in the first part of the NS2HD video on the playtest; NS2HD says at one point something along the lines of "it's fine there's almost no lag at all", while SgtBarlow and another are talking in-game to the effect of "laaaaggg", I don't know if that was just coincidence or not as that was the only point in the video I saw complaints of lag in the chat.

Personally I still think the minimum system requirements should be tempered - even if just by saying "we are targeting minimum requirements of:" but it's still in development. Comments on it running on a 9800 GT are very welcome, but that's still a lot newer than the weakest dx9 cards (are many weaker than say the fx5200?) etc

Glad to hear it is making more progress than had been previously, or at least that the progress is more obvious.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Do any of you people even know what a beta is? In my book it should've probably begun even earlier.
    Growing up gaming, I've had the chance to play quite a few alphas and betas, and this is by far acceptable to be tagged a beta-game.

A beta is supposed to be buggy, not some glorified demo.