Mac voices

antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
<div class="IPBDescription">Maybe if you liked jar jar binks</div>I know some people "like" the mac voices, and I know some people "like" jar jar binks and the out of place one liners the combat droids make in the terrible star wars remakes.

But please put an option to turn off the Mac voices, they are by far the worst thing in NS2.

Natural selection is such an atmospheric game, having the robots say cute little one liners and goofy sayings just kills the entire mood.

Yes I am sure in the future, the combat marines will program their support drones to say "oopsa-daisy" and other stupid things.

Please put an option to turn it off. So the people who like it can have their dumb fun and the people who don't can actually play the game.

Comments

• saikosaiko Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60588Members
    Really? Out of everyting and the current status of NS2 The voices are the worst thing in NS2 at this moment?
    I kinda like them, they remind me of claptrap from borderlands and that robot droid was so awesome.

Regardless of my opinon on it, I think a better solution, than your simple off or on option, would be to allow them to be replaceable or moddable, that way you can delete them or overwrite them with more 'smart serious' voice and less 'dumb fun'.
    You could also replace the one liners with some deep latin quotes or something that helps keep you in the mood for serious time or simply leave them blank.

Also, going a 'lil OT with the OP here; I'd like to hope, in the future, drones, support drones, or any talking robotic life would be moddable or customizable if you had the sound library. And if, a combat marine was working with a support drone for extendend periods of time I'm sure modifications to the voice would help ligten the mood of working out in a remote space station in isolation. Perhaps even detect who it is near and react accordingly.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    The real problem is that you can hear the macs ANYWHERE on the map. The alien spawn, the hive rooms, the vents, EVERYWHERE. Presumably this will get fixed, but it is still bloody annoying.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    You know I actually like the voices themselves, I just hate what they say.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    i think it's going to be a 50/50 toss up on favoritism on this subject. They do have silly one liners but it's more than what the drifters offer. If you don't like a little humor in a game then may i suggest you never use the belly slide or gorge taunt cause that looks like he is coughing up a hairball and just might make you crack a smile.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    yea i dont liek the "personality" there macs have. I would prefer it if they acted like the military construction robots they are.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1807642:date=Nov 20 2010, 11:17 PM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Nov 20 2010, 11:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807642"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i think it's going to be a 50/50 toss up on favoritism on this subject. They do have silly one liners but it's more than what the drifters offer. If you don't like a little humor in a game then may i suggest you never use the belly slide or gorge taunt cause that looks like he is coughing up a hairball and just might make you crack a smile.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gorge humor works because it is subtle, mac humor doesn't work because it is not subtle at all. It's an immersion killer in an extremely immersive game.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    A short fat alien with a glowing belly sliding through the room while coughing up hairballs subtle? I beg to differ. I think i actually lost a round because i was laughing so hard.

In the sense of immersive game-play you are correct that it is a bit much but also remember there is a huge sliding scale of peoples humor levels and the game industry shoots for all audiences just like the movies. I would have never purchased the shrek movies for the kids if it wasn't full of mature humor aimed at adults, i would have rented them to torture the baby sitter.
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    Just include a switch in the options to select between voices and simple beep-sounds. Disabling it wouldn't be that good as sometimes you just have to hear them to spot them and get an idea what the commander is doing. At least it helped me sometimes to follow them and support/protect them. Would be much harder if you cannot hear them.
  • saikosaiko Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60588Members
    edited November 2010
    Hmm, that beep idea sounds pretty good actually, it could beep once to say orders confirmed, play a flat note when res is lacking, and beep twice when the job's done and he's bored.