flamethrower

deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
the flamethrower is insainly overpowered currently. It isnt just the fact its overpowered its the fact that it can compeltely change the outcome of a game and wipe out an entire alien hive in a short space of time. Heres my lsit of problems with it.

1. You cant see anything at all on fire- improve the vision abit when on fire its impossible to know were you are moving whilst on fire :(
2. the damage is way to high versus alien players, reduce the damage to 1/3 of its current level agaisnt palyers. structure dmaage seems ok thoguh.
3. the flamer user plays no real animations which makes it difficult to tell what hes doing whislt trying to get close and once your on fire you might as well playy blind folded.

Comments

• PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    Agree on all above. Things that are probably already thought of.

But simply put, the first point is significant. I've found myself blinking around escaping death as a Fade but still got wiped out easily by a flamethrower earlier today.

Good point.
  • danshyudanshyu Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2105Members
    Agree as well. The problem is though. At the moment, before the marines can get another com chair up. They're pretty darn underpowered. Even with Lv.3 sub machineguns they still have a lot of troubles killing Fades that are spamming teleportation everywhere. Plus a few organized Lurks can just spam spores and deny access of a hallway completly. It's mostly a steep uphill battle for marines early game. But as soon as grenades and flamethrowers came into play, they instantly dominates everything Aliens have to offer.

Something certainly needs to be done about the flamethrowers, but so do many other things. I feel we should just wait a bit more after all the rest of the features are added before start swinging the nerf bate around.
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809313:date=Nov 23 2010, 06:07 PM:name=danshyu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danshyu @ Nov 23 2010, 06:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809313"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agree as well. The problem is though. At the moment, before the marines can get another com chair up. They're pretty darn underpowered. Even with Lv.3 sub machineguns they still have a lot of troubles killing Fades that are spamming teleportation everywhere. Plus a few organized Lurks can just spam spores and deny access of a hallway completly. It's mostly a steep uphill battle for marines early game. But as soon as grenades and flamethrowers came into play, they instantly dominates everything Aliens have to offer.

<b>Something certainly needs to be done about the flamethrowers, but so do many other things. I feel we should just wait a bit more after all the rest of the features are added before start swinging the nerf bate around.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you kidding? Currently the flame-thrower destroys the game and unlike in NS1 the commander doesn't have to buy them every player has one as they're free from the armoury.

The commander should have to purchase the guns first BEFORE the marines can get them this also adds another resource sink thus extending the length of the games.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    yea i think each weapon should have to be constructed by the commander, so he can build 5 shotguns or flamers etc and there will be 5 available to players, they would cost some resource to build but i think it would increase the neeed for an active commander instead of players jumping in the chair every once in a while.

Also the lerk spores need to use up more of the spore bar when used to reduce spam, like 2 or 3 shots before no more psores would help with this and then waiting for a recharge.
  • weeschweeweeschwee Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75031Members
    i really like the player being able to go to the armory and grab the weapons himself. i'd much rather prefer a weapons balance over returning to ns1's system of the commander dropping stuff
    edited November 2010
    well the commander wouldnt drop stuff or really choose favorites they would simply be built in the armory and picked up from there. Just that they could run out. So you would probably not see 8 marines all with flamers but it would be possible if the commander was willing to spend resource on 8 of them.
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    if the whole team has a flamethrower, it's not the problem, that players cna buy for themselves, it's the broken resource system at the moment.
    players should get less minerals, so they wouldn't have everytime they got reborn, enough money for a new weapon!

and about the flamethrower, I agree also on all three points.
    I also would like to see it cost a bit more!
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    If you've noticed there's just transient values in place for all structure resource costs, marine weapon costs, and damage values.

I wouldn't really worry at this point about the flamethrower
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't make more for the commander to do! By god... getting the comm to buy is a bad idea. The better weapons should be limited to those who either:

A. Have the most kills.
    B. Obey the commander's orders
    C. Other
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810529:date=Nov 25 2010, 10:00 PM:name=Solitario)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solitario @ Nov 25 2010, 10:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810529"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if the whole team has a flamethrower, it's not the problem, that players cna buy for themselves, it's the broken resource system at the moment.
    players should get less minerals, so they wouldn't have everytime they got reborn, enough money for a new weapon!

and about the flamethrower, I agree also on all three points.
    I also would like to see it cost a bit more!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The issue here is that currently players will just save money until they can get the "best" gun. This is considerably different from NS1 where the commander would spawn them and thus purposely create a rush of a single type of weapon / heavy armour.

The current system means that you won't see these rushes happening any-more as every player will simply buy what they like and die alone.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1809315:date=Nov 23 2010, 06:13 PM:name=Revi.uk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Revi.uk @ Nov 23 2010, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you kidding? Currently the flame-thrower destroys the game and unlike in NS1 the commander doesn't have to buy them every player has one as they're free from the armoury.

The commander should have to purchase the guns first BEFORE the marines can get them this also adds another resource sink thus extending the length of the games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So does the marine's utter lack of any other effective weapons, or the fact that sentry guns seem to hit when they feel like it, or the fact that lerk spores are unbeatable, or any one of a million other things.

Saying that taking away the flamethrower will improve the game makes no sense, it'll just make it into perpetual alien victory rather than 'if the game goes on long enough aliens lose but if they finish quickly they win'.

At least the latter is different every now and then.

<!--quoteo(post=1810586:date=Nov 26 2010, 01:12 AM:name=Revi.uk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Revi.uk @ Nov 26 2010, 01:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The current system means that you won't see these rushes happening any-more as every player will simply buy what they like and die alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Orrr perhaps they might organise and create a combined weapons squad covering a variety of different areas and then bunch up by virtue of not wanting to get ganked on their own?

If people don't want to work together giving them all the same gun won't make them work together any more, similarly giving them their own gun choice won't make them work together less, you work together because you see value in other team members, not because you all happen to have the same gun.
    i like the flamer and dont want it deleted form the game, it just needs balancing like everything else currently.

The fade and Onos are the supreme creatures of the alien team and the exo armor and minigun for the marines. The flamer and gl need an obvious nerf since its the exo armor and minigun that should end the game for marines.
  • DracoJJDracoJJ Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75293Members
    I dont really think anyone is suggesting the flamethrower be removed, I do agree that it is over powered, but lets face it, I have played tons of games so far and have easily found that the marines lose way before they even have a chance to get the flamethrower, let alone even the GL, there are still as said way to many other issues to deal with to really worry about the flamethrower all that much.

I do however think that eventually it must be nerfed, how I am not completely sure, I do think perhaps some higher costs on the weapon, as well as a reduction on the overall damage would be a good idea, I also think that perhaps making it a building killer instead of a alien killer would be a good idea, maybe increasing the damage on buildings but really reducing damage to the aliens themselves, that way you have a weapon that can walk into an area and wipe out a large wad of hydras and whips, but still not instantly kill every alien that just barely gets close to the flames.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited November 2010
    Balancing by cost is not a good idea, because it's just an excuse to leave an overpowered weapon in the game.

Reduce the blindness effect, leave the damage as is though, but add an overheat meter which means you have to fire it in bursts, so you can't simply roast an alien in one go, you have to blast it once, survive for a bit, then blast it again. Or maybe add a short warm up time before it fires.

Make it draw on skills other than aiming, it's good to have different ways to succeed in a game and the flamethrower being easy to hit with is something the marines desperately need.
  • DracoJJDracoJJ Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75293Members
    I dont really think the over heat idea really is a good idea, real flame throwers do require a little more control than what we see in NS2, but not because of overheating, but because it sucks all the oxygen out of your lungs and devours all the oxygen in front of you, which to me would be sort of easily remedied by a gas mask that feeds you oxygen, which im sure in this case it is implied that youd have one. and the Charge up for the flame doesn't really reduce the damage, if a guy just wanted to run around a corner and start blasting then he can, charge or no charge he still gonna do it.

However I do agree that reducing blindness would be really nice, that in and of itself is what makes it the worst weapon I feel, what would be really interesting is to actually see the flame thrower be a real one, such as a liquid flamethrower instead of a breath of fire weapon. This would make it so its a little more deadly but a lot harder to aim, youd have ark the stream to get the range you want , and youd have a smaller area of affect to burn the aliens with, it also be nice if it left a flame resadue on the ground that if you stepped in it, it burn you, which would make using it in close range rather deadly, but allow you to place streams along the ground to block entrance of ground aliens.
    yea i think beign able to set your own team mebmers and buildngs on fire as well as yourself if not used craefully would be a good trade off for the damage it does. But The view when on fire needs lwoering, also i think once on fire the flames should do less damage per tick so you can last abit lnoger on fire.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807928:date=Nov 21 2010, 08:33 AM:name=deathshroud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deathshroud @ Nov 21 2010, 08:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807928"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the flamethrower is insainly overpowered currently. It isnt just the fact its overpowered its the fact that it can compeltely change the outcome of a game and wipe out an entire alien hive in a short space of time. Heres my lsit of problems with it.

1. You cant see anything at all on fire- improve the vision abit when on fire its impossible to know were you are moving whilst on fire :(
    2. the damage is way to high versus alien players, reduce the damage to 1/3 of its current level agaisnt palyers. structure dmaage seems ok thoguh.
    3. the flamer user plays no real animations which makes it difficult to tell what hes doing whislt trying to get close and once your on fire you might as well playy blind folded.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then i can say the fade is insainly overpowered currently...
    dont think the fade is OP considering its rival is the exo-armor which isnt added to the game yet.
  • danshyudanshyu Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2105Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1811286:date=Nov 27 2010, 09:18 PM:name=deathshroud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (deathshroud @ Nov 27 2010, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811286"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->dont think the fade is OP considering its rival is the exo-armor which isnt added to the game yet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also consider the fact there's this mysterious "Rifle Upgrade" that's still grayed out in the menu. Which might finally allow marines some chances of killing fade before tier 2.

However, Onos might be in fact, the rival for flamethrower. Again, we really need to wait for a few more features to be implmented before going overboard about nerfing.
  • Mr.InTeLeXMr.InTeLeX Join Date: 2009-09-08 Member: 68720Members
    Marines with flamethrower should be slowed when they're firing, making them more vulnerable to lerk assault.
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    edited November 2010
    its not teh dmg teh flamethrower does, its teh ###### blinding, this guy can be in the opposite corner of a room form u, nto even aiming at you, and everything around jsut goes blind and dies. It is literally god mode for the video game. I dont care about the fire or the effects or the damage it does, its the ######ign blinding is jsut ridiculous, and has no part in the game. After I die it can blind me, but while I'm alive, having my screen go brightred/white is just the worst idea I've ever heard.

as I've saied before, IT's not even realistic, When you are near fire, you dont becfome blind, you can still see fine? UWE needs to go to a campfire...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Just quoting Cory here, flamer and grenades are going to be tweakfixed and such...

<!--quoteo(post=1811354:date=Nov 28 2010, 02:37 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 28 2010, 02:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yup, we know the GL and flamethrower are both OP right now, for a variety of reasons.

The GL has already had teh problem with its blast going through walls fixed, it will get friendly fire damage, at least to the marine who is firing it, it will probably have its blast radius brought down a bit, and its damage values will probably get tweaked, as well.

The flamethrower was always meant to be more for burning DI and alien structures, so that is going to get nerfed against players as well. Also the obnoxious screen covering flame effect is getting changed. It was just using the 3rd person flame effect and didn't have its own first person effect yet, but that was being worked on last week.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • zombii?zombii? Join Date: 2010-11-28 Member: 75314Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810940:date=Nov 26 2010, 04:52 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 26 2010, 04:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810940"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Balancing by cost is not a good idea, because it's just an excuse to leave an overpowered weapon in the game.

Reduce the blindness effect, leave the damage as is though, but add an overheat meter which means you have to fire it in bursts, so you can't simply roast an alien in one go, you have to blast it once, survive for a bit, then blast it again. Or maybe add a short warm up time before it fires.

Make it draw on skills other than aiming, it's good to have different ways to succeed in a game and the flamethrower being easy to hit with is something the marines desperately need.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Over heating meter is a great idea!!!! +1
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why not change the flames in a blue/green piercing welderlike flame?