Ready room overlooking part of the map?

MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
Is it possible to make a ready room on top so its over looking the game area and do so without the commander seeing it?

Im just playing around with ideas at the moment, i thought it would be interesting to have a ready room like this as long as it doesn't interfere with game play.

Also its a shame we don't have glass yet, they really need to get that sorted soon as it would be very useful.

Comments

• yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited December 2010
    It is possible cuz there is camera height and u can put a glass box (still no glass is availble) over the camera height.

But in addition rines ceiling also should be glass so marines will also able to see readyroom players.

But rr players are not wanted players for servers. Mostly this is a kick reason.
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    There is a glass model you can use.
    As for the rr overlooking the map, it sounds like fun but there are some problems with the commander view and possibly with structure placement.

I foresee great heartache but I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    I thought there might be a few issues, hopefully i can do what i need to as i think it will be quite good if i can get it to work ok, its a shame the mapping guideline states maps shouldn't have rooms above rooms, perhaps in the future we can though, for now i at least want this room to be a ready room overlooking a part of the map, will be quite cool if it works.

Also thanks for letting me know about the glass model!
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    couple things to remember:

1. RR must be outside the minimap_extents entity which encompasses the entire level
    2. Everything in the RR must be in the CommanderInvisible group so it doesn't block the commander.

you may or may not run into trouble with the RR being above the rest of the level even if it is higher than the minimap_extents entity, idk i haven't tried it.

please let us know how you make out.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    As for the glass model,there is also a scalable window model with clear glass.

@OP : I did notice that i had a sky building interfering with the commander even though it was set to commander invisible group and even set to "0" on the commander alpha on the prop it's self. When ever you would way-point a mac/drifter to the area they would just fly strait up towards the camera and sometimes past it like they where on a mission to go to another planet so i would say Commander Invisible might give you some troubles in that aspect but could be alleviated if angle for the commander was never overlooking it.
  • JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    One thing to keep in mind is that this caused some problems in NS1. In a competitive setting (PUG, scrim/PCW, match) it is fairly typical for a player from each side to be in the ready room during the round in the event a player from their team leaves the game. Both ns_metal and ns_orbital had Easter Eggs that allowed readyroom players to see part of the actual map. And in both cases it meant rules had to be constructed, and then enforced, disallowing players in the Easter Egg rooms.

Having it as part of the Ready Room proper would really have caused some problems, and even in a public setting it could be used by griefers to ruin the game for other players.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819818:date=Dec 28 2010, 04:41 AM:name=JazzX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JazzX @ Dec 28 2010, 04:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819818"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One thing to keep in mind is that this caused some problems in NS1. In a competitive setting (PUG, scrim/PCW, match) it is fairly typical for a player from each side to be in the ready room during the round in the event a player from their team leaves the game. Both ns_metal and ns_orbital had Easter Eggs that allowed readyroom players to see part of the actual map. And in both cases it meant rules had to be constructed, and then enforced, disallowing players in the Easter Egg rooms.

Having it as part of the Ready Room proper would really have caused some problems, and even in a public setting it could be used by griefers to ruin the game for other players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Although all of those problems are also present with the existence of spectator mode.
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    The rr will only overlook one room, although its kind of a main room but i don't see the harm as long as it doesn't interfere with the game in progress or the commander view?
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Stand-by players aren't allowed to spectate, but they can give hints to their team via voice comm, if they can gather information in the ready room. Every bit of information counts and can be used against the enemy.
  • JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1819836:date=Dec 28 2010, 02:21 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Dec 28 2010, 02:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Although all of those problems are also present with the existence of spectator mode.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's an excellent point that I completely forgot about. So yeah, this wouldn't really be an issue for public play, but if your map caught on, this feature would probably disqualify it from being used in competitive settings.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    spectate mode won't stay the way it is currently as they do have a spectate camera entity in the editor, although not working at the moment i'm thinking/hoping it will be something like the camera in the fade reveal video. Static with a limited range of sweep.