NS2-G1xLCD

playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
edited April 2011 in Modding
<div class="IPBDescription">NS2-modification for the Logitech G13, G15 and G19</div>This mod is no longer working\supported, and will not be updated in the future, as the (Client-side) module-loading mechanism in Lua (which is crucial for this mod to function) is likely to be abolished upon NS2's 1.0 release.

Comments

• GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Thoe i dont have any "G"s. Stuff like this should be included in the final game, i strongly surgest you work whit UWE to make it standart, and implimented in the official gamefiles at release :)
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    I agree with the sentiment that features such as hardware-support would be a welcome addition to NS2 as a standard outfit.

In the case of this particular mod however I doubt it would happen. If indeed the NS2-team desires the inclusion of 3rd-party material in their retail product, I believe it would certainly be restricted to mods they can provide some kind of quality-assurance for. This could more or less be the case for Lua-mods (through means of inspecting the associated scripts for due diligence), but in this case we're talking about a DLL (machine-code), which is not something that can be (realistically) inspected for, say, memory-leaks; improper error-handling or even malicous behaviour. Unless of course the author is willing the provide the complete source code, and the NS2-team improves and compiles it on their own accord. This last suggestion is a bit unreasonable as it would be a lot to ask from the mod-developer in question as well as the NS2-team to invest time and effort to wade through foreign code.

To wrap up, I think easy access to 3rd-party mods (through some kind of database if you will) is probably most desirable (for both Lua-mods and otherwise).
    Uploaded a new version (v2), and added a significant amount of (useful) information in the start-post.
    New version (v3) with support for the new NS2-build (#152) and quite a bit of improvement on the Lua-side.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    As an owner of the original G15 keyboard I wanted to thank you for your efforts. Hopefully the devs will include support "built in" at some point.
    Uploaded v4. The codebase has been synced with NS2-GmOvrmind's, and thus this mod too is now NS2 build-independent. Whether this mod will ever see any real-world action is uncertain (with the whole client-side DLL situation), but I like to keep it around as reference-material.
  • XuXuXuXu Join Date: 2011-01-01 Member: 76096Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Hello!

My English is very bad so please forgive me! :D

Don't know how to install this for my G15 ??? Any Tutorial for it? =)

Greetz

XuXu
    Sorry, I hadn't added that bit of information yet, it's there now. Do remember though that this isn't run on any on-line servers at this point, so you'll need to create your own (listen)server to see it in action.
  • syprosypro Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69195Members
    I myself won't use this as i use my G19 only to keep an eye on my cpu temps with realtemp but i do support your work. It would be a great addition to the game, even if it's only out of principle, something is always better than nothing.
    It seems I have to retract the bit about this mod not being able to run on vanilla servers, as in fact it does. When I first created this mod and wrote up the topic-start I was under the assumption that hash-checks and server-client synchronization were already in place, which would render this mod (and all other client-side mods on this forum) useless on all but specific servers running this very mod. Chances are that these hash-checks and syncing-mechanisms WERE indeed present in the alpha (I recall the massive bandwidth-spike everytime a client joined, this could have been the server syncing Lua-files with the client), but they aren't anymore in the current beta-build(s).

So I've removed this information from the topic-start until the day these mechanisms are put back in the game. In the mean time, this mod will run on every server (modified or vanilla).
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1825386:date=Jan 19 2011, 02:26 AM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Jan 19 2011, 02:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1825386"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It seems I have to retract the bit about this mod not being able to run on vanilla servers, as in fact it does. When I first created this mod and wrote up the topic-start I was under the assumption that hash-checks and server-client synchronization were already in place, which would render this mod (and all other client-side mods on this forum) useless on all but specific servers running this very mod. Chances are that these hash-checks and syncing-mechanisms WERE indeed present in the alpha (I recall the massive bandwidth-spike everytime a client joined, this could have been the server syncing Lua-files with the client), but they aren't anymore in the current beta-build(s).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's no consistency check (there wasn't in the alpha too, most likely the bandwidth spike was due to bugs which are now fixed). However, they will be when we release the final version of the game, and probably sometime during the beta.

Chances are we won't support external DLLs like this in the release version. If you want to send me (max@unknownworlds.com) the code to do it, I'll integrate scripting hooks for communicating with these keyboards.
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I hope server version of the engine will still be allowed to load external DLLs
    That was the first question on my mind as well, so I immediately inquired max about it. The answer being yes, external modules will only be loadable from within the Server-VM.

This decision is quite logical. Casual gamers cannot really be expected to scrutinize mods they wish to install, for malicous behaviour. While UWE technically isn't really responsible\accountable for a mishap involving the customization (using DLLs) of their game, it is unpleasant none the less to know their player-base can fall victim to this. Server-operators on the other hand, can be expected to have a higher degree of thoughtfulness when it comes to installing modifications on their servers, and be technically more competent to understand the risks involved.

That said, I'll mothball this mod, and remove it entirely when the game reaches the stage where it will become completely inoperable.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Seems with the new build it doesn't work anymore :-(

(BTW I use a G19)
    You're saying it worked up until now? That's quite impressive. Anyway I don't think I'll be updating it as it likely won't work anymore upon NS2 1.0's release. I'll update the start-post to reflect this.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2011
    It worked until 170 ...
    since 171 and the new lua binding it does not work anymore.

It is a pity that you won't continue to work on it. I really liked it and I hoped to see it as a part of the game in 1.0.
    (and I still hope that, because G support is rare nowadays.. especially in indipendent games)

Anyway, thank you for programming, it was really usefull!
    Especially the background pictures of each team was teriffic... it just added to the atmosphere!
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    player: From Max's statement, I believe they were hoping to add support in-game for this (or at least provide the ability to add it in lua). Did you ever send them any code?
    Yes I've read it and the best thing to do for Max would be to download a copy of Logitech's LCD-SDK and expose it's functionality to Lua for scripters to make their own LCD-creations. The code from G1xLCD is pretty unsuitable for use anywhere else really, as it is undocumented, unreadable and uncompliant with any coding standard, as well as it making use of it's own strings\memory-management and whatnot. Though frankly I haven't bothered him to do it, as at this point there are other things with a higher priority (performance\stability primarily).

There might still be a chance the devs are able to create the possibility for loading DLL-modules while also being able to implement consistency-checks at same time, which isn't easy to do as DLL-modules have complete control over the Lua-state. We'll just have to wait and see how things unfold. Also, I didn't realise people actually (still) used this mod, so I'll see if I can add G1xLCD's LCD-code to NS2-GmOvrmind so you can use that instead for the time being (G1xLCD's code-base has been neglected so it'll be easier for me to merge it).