titrated updates translates to lost interest

alephaleph Join Date: 2007-10-12 Member: 62620Members
It seems like there are fewer posts in the discussion section each time a new patch is declared. How about players in servers? At the first big announcements there were lots of players, but within 4 or 5 days after the announcements the servers would be too empty to play games. I have not played in some time, bit the general feeling is that people aren't paying attention and there's little talk about the upcoming changes. Will it eventually get to the point that you need a major announcement on the website, PR machine, and email subscriber list in order to pull in big numbers, and do you think maybe you are losing peoples' trust and interest each time those announcements are made only to find a game with a still unoptimized engine and buggy "netcode"? Someone could quantify this, but it just feels like there is much less interest and man-hours being poured into this game due to lack of interest or fatigue at minor updates not offering worthwhile changes warranting peoples' time. How does one reverse this trend, or can one at all? I think it's a dangerous path.

Comments

• syprosypro Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69195Members
    Aslong as the game is not on Steam, the game is not released and so can the title be put on the hype rails in no time. For now the lost of intrest is because people want to play a completed game. Not evryone can handle bugs while playing a game. I think this is only a normal evolution. The fact is that great games will always have people playing it. You really can't expect people playing the game in it's current build for a long time.

Also this is a topic like many others have past, and i can tell you that the forum is anything but dead.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    I had opened a thread called "empty servers".

Some people replied, that if you just join a server, others will follow. I did it like that, and it was true. Just try that maybe? ;)
  • alephaleph Join Date: 2007-10-12 Member: 62620Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1822952:date=Jan 9 2011, 03:43 PM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Jan 9 2011, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822952"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had opened a thread called "empty servers".

Some people replied, that if you just join a server, others will follow. I did it like that, and it was true. Just try that maybe? ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Like I said I haven't played for a while, maybe others can report on how active it is right now or how active it has been?

EDIT: I should know better than to make that post since 90% of posters will now reply only to that question rather than any points brought up in the OP. But I'm still curious, and more importantly I'm worried of the implications that this decreasing interest means.
  • SturmwindSturmwind Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72589Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1822947:date=Jan 9 2011, 09:33 PM:name=aleph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aleph @ Jan 9 2011, 09:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822947"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Will it eventually get to the point that you need a major announcement on the website, PR machine, and email subscriber list in order to pull in big numbers, and do you think maybe you are losing peoples' trust and interest each time those announcements are made only to find a game with a still unoptimized engine and buggy "netcode"?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NO, most persons here have realised that it will take at least another year before most of the planned features (DI, onos, exo-armor, balancing issues, netcode etc.) are implemented into the game. So no need to get aroused over every small update on the way to that day.

We watch and we press our thumbs....
    edited January 2011
    I was unaware of a consensus that it will take at least another year...

And if only literally a few dozen or less people are going to respond to minor bug-updating patches, what's the point of even releasing them?

Why not fix an extremely large amount of bugs over a period of months rather than offering minor patches every other week? This is the kind of philosophy that is demonstrably causing people to lose interest and stop coming back. I just don't see how they don't see it.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    First release was the first time everyone saw NS2 in action, nobody knew quite what to expect, hence big excitement. First few patches were new and people didn't know what to expect from patches, hence big excitement.

Current patches are more routine, people know what usually goes into them, they know what the game is like, what is there to be excited about?

Considering the alternative is to not release patches, which will be even less interesting, and make development kinda hard given that UWE probably doesn't have the money to spend on wide scale closed tests, the current method is fine.
  • SturmwindSturmwind Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72589Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1822957:date=Jan 9 2011, 10:02 PM:name=aleph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aleph @ Jan 9 2011, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was unaware of a consensus that it will take at least another year...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Would you like to take a bet.. ? ;-)

<!--quoteo(post=1822957:date=Jan 9 2011, 10:02 PM:name=aleph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aleph @ Jan 9 2011, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And if only literally a few dozen or less people are going to respond to minor bug-updating patches, what's the point of even releasing them?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Most of the serious feedback is given on getsatisfaction.com. Its unglamorous and tedious work ;-)

The small patches keep the interest alive. You can play and see the direction into which the development is heading. I kinda like it... a weekly (well, almost) ritual...
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Another year? Ouch. I remember there being the Fall release date set/passed not so long ago.
    <!--quoteo(post=1822967:date=Jan 9 2011, 04:21 PM:name=Sturmwind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sturmwind @ Jan 9 2011, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822967"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would you like to take a bet.. ? ;-)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

At this point it feels like we all did by pre-ordering, and it's a bet we're not going to win
  • FroggerFrogger Join Date: 2010-07-31 Member: 73377Members
    Whos to say "decreasing interest" isn't just people waiting for the next patch to fix up some of the lag and bugs?
    awesome first post lmao
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I would like to say I think the latter is occurring.

Even though the amount of playing decreases after initial patch drop...
    It does not decrease to zero like it did in alpha.

You might have to spin it up a couple times to find a game, but I have been finding more games.
    Or like someone said join an empty server with a good ping and people might show up.
    Sure optimization needs work, sure all the features are not there.

But it is already fun.

The fact that as a skulk...I have already begun to fall into the skulking around, springing into a surprise attack, and then quickly retreating...giggling at the damage I have done...to structures and players. Did you know 'F' is bound to chuckle.
    Hit that when you are stuck to the ceiling and a marine walks under you....Pure Glee.

The fact that as a marine... I play a more formal structured game, where I try to move as group, I take advantage of the ranged shots...and finally I yell at those green gilled marines who chase skulks "Don't chase them they are leading you to a pack". I love that the MAC and the marines can build. The tension of building a turret to secure an area while others guard you is great. At the same time the commander is no longer dependent on me to get everything built.

like i said fun.
    As the engine becomes more optimized I think you will the servers stay playing longer.
  • AtlantisThiefAtlantisThief Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75254Members
    I kind of lost the interest of the game too, but in my case it's because of the performance issue a lot of people have.
    The game is awesome, and rounds can be a lot of fun, ... if you dont run around with max 15 fps + lags. Tbh, i am only checking the site from time to time to see if a new patches appeared, that could have fixed the performance issue so i can finally play a bit more. Yet i always was made sad :'(
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    I don't think its as bad as your making it out to be, there is usually at least one server that has a decent number of people playing 24/7, and if there isn't already some servers with some players i just find one with the nicest ping and it fulls up rather rapidly. And although i know the game at this moment has serious performance problems, its not all that bad for me, 50-75 fps average, a tick rate above 20, not nice but enough to already had some good times. The reason you don't see dozens of servers with people playing 24/7 is because lots of people are waiting for a patch, i remember when build 160 first came out and there were so many people trying to play that the few servers that were available were getting packed with multiple players trying to connect at once. Its after a few days after everyones played a little and has seen what the patch was like, that they stop playing and are waiting for the next one to come out.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    My interest has personally picked up in the last 3 months.

However half of the forum posts do seem to get irritating, this is yet but another in a long line of recent "When will it be released" or "It's never going to be ready" sort of threads.

I'm sort of bored of these.
    <!--quoteo(post=1822987:date=Jan 9 2011, 05:56 PM:name=AtlantisThief)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AtlantisThief @ Jan 9 2011, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tbh, i am only checking the site from time to time to see if a new patches appeared, that could have fixed the performance issue so i can finally play a bit more. Yet i always was made sad :'(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm pretty sure you just described what literally thousands of pre-orderers feel
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think anybody who pre-ordered this game this early on, before it's even on the Steam store, has permanently lost interest because of the performance issues. They're just waiting until the game is properly playable before they come back. I'm still extremely pumped about NS2 and I'm following its development very closely - I always come back for every patch to see how it plays, and if it's still too rough then I'll just quit and wait for the next patch. No harm done as long as they keep making progress.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Don't know what the OP is talking about. Feels like Christmas every time they release another patch. \:D/
  • jaminjamin Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63332Members
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to hazard a guess that as soon as hitreg/mouse input delay has been fixed you'll see allot more people hanging around for much longer.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    haven't been playing because my radeon 4850 died, and my holdover card sucks too much to play it. need RMA'd card now :(
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1822957:date=Jan 9 2011, 10:02 PM:name=aleph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aleph @ Jan 9 2011, 10:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822957"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why not fix an extremely large amount of bugs over a period of months rather than offering minor patches every other week? This is the kind of philosophy that is demonstrably causing people to lose interest and stop coming back. I just don't see how they don't see it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As they always say. They are involving us in the development process. It's an experiment, I don't know any other company doing that.

If people want to have patches only every few months, they can run NS2 only every few months. It's your choice :/

They never said "the next patch will be the revolution". They let us look over their shoulder while working and sometimes they answer our questions - if we are interested. Be interested or not....I don't know what the problem is here.
    It is no difference for people who are not interested.
    My opinion.
  • doesephdoeseph Join Date: 2009-11-22 Member: 69467Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited January 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole lot of people coming back once Natural Selection has progressed into beta a bit more. I know the announcement itself was a big moment, but even beta has problems that most people would rather not deal with.
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    B160 was the first version where people stuck around, i played several games the past days
    B161 it seems will bring huge performance improvements again, and will be the first version where alot of ppl stick around i think
    then there's no enormous holiday season until B162, which will hopefully come within a month (or 2 weeks), and then the ball is rolling!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've played more NS2 recently than during the alpha, mainly because its more playable. I've also been able to find a populated server to play on pretty much any time during the day that I have tried. Also, just because less people are playing now doesn't mean they will never do so again. I'm sure pretty much everyone who preordered will come back when the game is finally released, otherwise, it would have made little sense for them to preorder in the first place.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    The funny thing about the internet, is that it gives anyone the opportunity to make a 'bold' statement in front of a lot of people.

What the OP is saying is not true. Actually there seem to be more people playing now than ever before, servers get full quickly (especially NSarmoury 1 & 2) and there are more of them. Even multiplay.co.uk has one up, and that is a great sign that such a huge server and lan operator, and associated with professional tourneys in the UK.

I am sure a lot have bought into the game, and not everyone is playing it right now. But they will be back once it is more playable, I can't see why not.

The whole thing with patches keeps people interested, and is what made games like CS (and NS) so popular.
  • JerunkJerunk Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9659Members
    edited January 2011
    Every patch gets better and better, but the reason you see every server full after a patch is released, and them slowly emptying out over the course of a few weeks is because there are still major lag and framerate issues, but people are at least trying each release to see if it has improved for them.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    excellent use of vocabulary in the thread title, well played OP
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    Most people are coming back after each update to see if the game is fun to play yet
    <!--quoteo(post=1823023:date=Jan 9 2011, 08:57 PM:name=Jerunk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jerunk @ Jan 9 2011, 08:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1823023"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Every patch gets better and better, but the reason you see every server full after a patch is released, and them slowly emptying out over the course of a few weeks is because there are still major lag and framerate issues, but people are at least trying each release to see if it has improved for them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My argument, which is quantifiable if anyone has the data to look at (someone probably does), is this: a throng of new players arrive for each new patch release to see how the game is progressing. Due to the frequency of patch releases and the relatively small number of visible/detectable-to-laymen changes and improvements in each patch people learn not to take new patch releases seriously and consequentially drop NS2 off their radar. This is a choice made by the developers which causes an atmosphere of "forget about this, I'll hibernate on this for a few months, maybe then something worthwhile will be released." One metric for this which I notice is the decrease in forum discussion on each new patch, though as another user noted the real work is being done at "getsatisfaction.com" however I'd bet the activity level there is correspondingly decreasing. A more all-encompassing approach to patch releases could retain more players by making patches bigger events, but the devs not taking this rout, and I believe (and the facts may support) that this leads to steadily decreasing player retention/interest.

Most posts have ignored this argument and answered a completely different question that each user seems to have invented himself (My rambling articulation is partly to blame). At least there's some discussion but few have addressed my argument, or the implications of it - that much credibility will be lost between now and the time the game is released; fewer people will care, thinking "been there done that" and just ignore updates.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1823036:date=Jan 10 2011, 03:49 AM:name=aleph)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aleph @ Jan 10 2011, 03:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1823036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most posts have ignored this argument and answered a completely different question that each user seems to have invented himself (My rambling articulation is partly to blame). At least there's some discussion but few have addressed my argument, or the implications of it - that much credibility will be lost between now and the time the game is released; fewer people will care, thinking "been there done that" and just ignore updates.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, you can't complain about people misunderstanding your "argument" if you type like a 12 year old that just discovered the magical intelligence-boosting properties of a thesaurus.

As far as what you're trying to say, it doesn't make any sense. People aren't going to stop caring about a game that they already bought and paid for, just because it is being updated gradually rather than all at once. And they certainly aren't going to ignore updates that make the game they already bought more fun to play. In summary you seem to be reaching for something to criticize (trolling?) rather than making any sort of coherent point about the state of the game.