Ns1 & Ns2 Knock out my router/connection

OpolEOpolE Join Date: 2008-04-10 Member: 64057Members
Both games are the only games that drop my connection/router where in have to reset it

Any ideas: Im guessing IP ports? or ###### router common!

Comments

• PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    This is usually because of a low quality router (or a failing one?). In any case, you should list your router model. A firmware update may be warranted.
  • OpolEOpolE Join Date: 2008-04-10 Member: 64057Members
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    yes, router problem. But make sure it is actually the router going down, a friend of mine had that problem with starcraft 2 and then found out that it's the problem of his wireless network card (the router never went down, but the card simply dropped the connection).
  • LucianLucian Join Date: 2004-01-09 Member: 25193Members, Constellation
    I had a similar problem, but it was my DSL modem. My connection would stop working when I pinged too many servers. When I replaced the modem, the problem stopped.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Almost all Steam games send data when they close. Normally they don't affect programs or internet connections in anyway, however I have found 9 times out of 10 NS2 actually slows down my pinging to servers, websites etc. when I close the game. I don't know if it is anything to do with the way Steam handles the game when it closes, however something I've experienced in the past two weeks myself.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited January 2011
    Ring BT and demand a new free Hub, I had issues with the 2.0 hub they are goosed and not supported anymore, buggy as hell, the new hubs are much improved.

EIDIT: Also demand new replacement phones with it too as the older ones are not compatible with the new hubs.
  • BlitzThoseBlitzThose Aberdeen, Scotland Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71342Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    definitly the router, bthomehubs are ######e at the best of times as they cannot handle many concurrent connections, In my opinion you should invest in a better router e.g Netgear DG834G.

although admitedly my information may be out of date as I know little about the v3.0 hubs
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    the v3.0 hubs are brilliant, huge improvememt. Dont know if THOMPSON made the 3.0 hubs but they made the others and they are terrible.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Heh, I had this with my router as well. It was a Linksys WRT160N<b>v2</b> (half the memory of v1.0 and not upgradeable to a DD-wrt based firmware). First thing I did was go back to the store and exchange it for a v3.0, which has 2x the memory of the v1.0.

The people at the store didn't know about the different hardware versions at all, heh what else is new :P
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    Yeah, if you get a Linksys be sure to replace the firmware because it really is terrible. People complain about it dropping their connections all the time.