The BETA

mowkymowky Join Date: 2011-01-15 Member: 77551Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Natural Selection 2 BETA</div>Hi fellows. I was just wondering. I have been TRIED to keep myself updated with NS 2 and i felt it was a bit hard. So I thought i should go on their website and check some things up. And on the front page i saw that you could buy "NS 2 standard EDITION"

But when reading on the description i saw this:
Immediate beta access on steam (updates weekly)
Fellu version when done
Our eternal gratitude

And this one. The confusing one.
"10,000 avaible"

And a little more below it says this:
The beta is not fully optimized so a more powerful system is recommended.

So i started search for some BETA-gameplay videos but without result. I just found some pre-alpha fotage.

So my question to you is:

If I buy the game now will i be able to play it and is the community big now under the BETA ( if there is one avaible atm ? ) ?

I would appreciate some good answers and not being too confused.

TL;DR

Can you buy the NS2 Standard EDITION and play it directly after via steam and is ther alot of players going playing it ?

Comments

• KuriinKuriin Join Date: 2011-01-08 Member: 76761Members
    It requires Steam to play. You preorder, you get to play beta and then the full version. Typically on peak times, there's about 40 or so people. ;\
  • mowkymowky Join Date: 2011-01-15 Member: 77551Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1824615:date=Jan 15 2011, 06:26 PM:name=Kuriin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kuriin @ Jan 15 2011, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824615"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Typically on peak times, there's about 40 or so people. ;\<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

40 players? woah
  • darkyatdarkyat Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77212Members
    edited January 2011
    Hey mowky!

You're able to pre-buy NS2 now - so you're able to buy the full game although it isn't "done" yet. Instead of the finished game you're getting immediately access to the closed beta of Natural Selection 2.

After the purchase you're receiving a cd-key which can be activated in steam and enables the download of the current beta via steam.

There is still a active community - just look around in the board especially the modding section.

There are just a "few" players playing at the same time but it is very uncommon at the usual "gamer" daytimes that all server are empty.

If you would like to try it out or simply support the NS2 Developer buy Natural Selection 2.

In my mind it is already worth it ;)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Keep in mind that the game is still far from complete, this BETA is a real beta not one of those end development beta's from bigger companies.

Also have a look at <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/NaturalSelection2HD" target="_blank">NS2HD</a> on youtube he has the most gameplay/commentary video's online and they are 1080p (well youtube1080p :P)
  • mowkymowky Join Date: 2011-01-15 Member: 77551Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1824617:date=Jan 15 2011, 06:29 PM:name=darkyat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darkyat @ Jan 15 2011, 06:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1824617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey mowky!

You're able to pre-buy NS2 now - so you're able to buy the full game although it isn't "done" yet. Instead of the finished game you're getting immediately access to the closed beta of Natural Selection 2.

After the purchase you're receiving a cd-key which can be activated in steam and enables the download of the current beta via steam.

There is still a active community - just look around in the board especially the modding section.

There are just a "few" players playing at the same time but it is very uncommon at the usual "gamer" daytimes that all server are empty.

If you would like to try it out or simply support the NS2 Developer buy Natural Selection 2.

In my mind it is already worth it ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sounds all good. But i just dont feel buying a game ( i do know it is under development! ) which isnt very active on the gameplay front. What i remember from NS 1 there was TONS of servers all full most of the time.

I feel like i want a game with lots of action and not too much downtime.
  • SyntaximSyntaxim Join Date: 2011-01-13 Member: 77267Members
    NS1 was also free :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    Well I am no fortune teller, but the low populous these days is mainly because the game is still not all that stable in terms of server performance or on local systems (depending on hard ware and such). So people tend to play for a while after a new release, they strive for a weekly release schedule.

But because the game is still quite unfinished in terms of content, this testing phase is not everyone's cup of tea so to speak. Mind you it is quit playable if it runs on your pc.

Once the game is more complete and stable, they will come. NS2 is a good game and the devs are awesome... Well there you have it...
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    If you're expecting to play a finished game right now, this beta isn't for you just yet. NS2 will definitely have an active community when it's released, but most people don't play much at the moment because there are some severe performance bugs.

If you want gameplay footage though, see NS2HD: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/NaturalSelection2HD" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/user/NaturalSelection2HD</a>
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    Hey, Mowky.

If you're looking for a game to jump right into and play and have tons of fun right off the bat, this beta honestly might not be a great buy for you right now. If you want some good gameplay footage with great commentary, Kouji is right - NS2HD on Youtube has great videos.

Even if you decide not to grab the beta right now, check back from time to time (or even just after release) and hopefully we'll see you join us then. :D

edit: And I totally didn't rip off Zek's post XD
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also have a look at NS2HD on youtube he has the most gameplay/commentary video's online and they are 1080p (well youtube1080p :P)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This and also the official beta gameplay trailer here:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UHXOoUWu5s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UHXOoUWu5s</a>